POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2015, 02:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 669070
  • Total Topics: 51563
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 118
Total: 120

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: seeking tech geek advice... the damn phone thing  (Read 1612 times)

Offline zach

• G,D,Em,C
seeking tech geek advice... the damn phone thing
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
The continuing saga, but I'm almost there, I promise

Tried to find my phone thread, couldn't. I know some of you are gadget geeks, I need advice please.

iPhone or Android? I'm leaning towards Android right now. I'm going to buy a used one, whatever it is will have to take a royal beating, I don't need the lastest and greatest. Any suggestions? Samsung, HTC? Model? Couple generations old probably.

I'm getting the phone early Feb, now I need to choose which one. Carrier is Verizon, they are known for the best coverage where I'll be.

I need a phone that will run Spotify well, for most of this year it will be a high priority. I'll be downloading playlists for offline play. I've heard iPhone doesn't like Spotify.

Twitter/Tumbler/Instagram... what the fuck? Could someone give me a brief? I need to be able to post a short journal entry, maybe daily, probably only a couple or few times a week. Something I can post photos and journal to, something that will post to FB automatically for me.

Something with a decent camera on board, I'll be taking a lot of pictures.

Gonna try not to get pissed and throw this thing in a river.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:27:11 PM by zach »
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Offline marcmoral16

Re: seeking tech geek advice... the damn phone thing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:44:14 PM »
Well I work in wireless retail but for the other big company. That's rather here nor there  8)

Now onto the phone. A good phone that has great battery life and a freaking awesome camera is the Z3v. It's a Sony phone that waterproof and meets military specs. I say this phone because as much as I love my phone (iPhone 6) it's very fragile.

Now if you put an otterbox defender on any phone you won't have much to worry about. But the phone I mentioned above is a good start. If you want a truly rugged phone they have a Kyocera phone that can survive a nuclear war. Specs are MEH but it can get the job done.

My recommendation Sony Z3v.
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »
I am an Android fan.  And, a huge Samsung fan.  I take a lot of pics and everyone always comments how the pics on my Samsung are so much better than other Android phones or Apple.  My better half went with the HTC One.  He wasn't happy with the camera and he had problems with it in general.  My brother gave him his bigger HTC One Max.  Same thing-- camera not so good and problems with it running properly.  The GPS won't work.  Of course, that could be an issue with just that phone.  But, this makes two HTC phones that had issues. 

So, I would go with Samsung.  It depends on the size you want.  Are you a size queen?  Seriously, the bigger versions like The Note are easier to do things like journals and surfing the web.  However, they are just too big for me.  I like the size of the Galaxy series.  I can text with one hand, using my thumb.  With the larger phones, I feel like I have to keep a good hold on them or I will drop them.  And, they don't fit too well in pockets.  But, my brother loves the bigger phones. 

I am liking the Samsung Note Edge.  It has this curved screen, which can scroll info.  Just a gimmick, I'm sure.  It is larger, but not as big as the regular note or the HTC One Max.  I think I could handle that size.  With my upgrade, it is $400+.  So, I doubt I will go that route.  In fact, I love my Samsung Galaxy 4 so much, that I am thinking of just not upgrading.  Well, unless the new Galaxy 6 is really different.  It is suppose to come out soon.  But, you are looking for affordable.  So, the Galaxy 4 would be probably most affordable, since there is a Galaxy 5 on the market for a year or so.

Offline Jeff G

• Global Moderator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:41 PM »
I love my note 3 … really love it .

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »
In the past six months I have owned a Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone, an iPhone 6 Plus, a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and currently have a Galaxy Note Edge. If you want something that is easy to use and "just works" get an iPhone. You can buy a used iPhone 5S for about $300 if you don't want to be locked into a payment plan. If you want something that is more customizable or a different phone design go Android. Curved screens, big screens, small screens, physical keyboards... Android has it all. I like phones by Sony, Samsung and LG. I recommend going to the store, playing with the different models and seeing which one you like.

Apple and Android both run Spotify.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »
Just curious why you own 4 phones in a year.  ???
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 07:09:16 AM »
Just curious why you own 4 phones in a year.  ???

Nokia 1520 broke when I dropped it down a flight of concrete stairs. Replaced it iPhone 6 Plus because everyone said it was the best but I didn't like it. Bought Galaxy Note 4 and put iPhone up for sale but a guy online said he would trade his Note Edge for my iPhone, so returned Note 4 to the store. To be honest I still like the Nokia 1520 best but there are apps on iPhone and Android that I can't get on Windows Phone, for example on Windows Phone there are no real estate apps or snapchat, Pinterest, Amazon instant video, Nook, etc.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:24:19 AM »
You all seem like very complete smart phone users.

I use mine for: listening to music. watching news podcasts. maybe a short tv show. calculator. calendar. taking a photo here or there. sending and receiving texts. a phone call now and then.

I never started managing anything internet related on my phone.  Zach - you sure that is necessary? 

I admire everyone's ability to keep up with the times. Im sure its all very useful and convenient.  Im sure there are ways of managing information via smart phone that have nothing to do with computer-based communication and management. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
... moving on to the Apple Watch!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 12:24:37 AM »
afaik the new iPhones can be used on almost all of the major carriers, not like where you couldn't take your Verizon iPhone to AT&T yrs ago.  another good thing is they can be used across the world - i could be wrong on this, i know China gets specific iPhone models

the big thing is Apple Pay, once you use Apple Pay for a transaction the code used for that transaction will change after 24hrs

http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-now-available-unlocked-and-sim-free-in-us/

The unlocked iPhone 6 model is A1586
The unlocked iPhone 6+ model is A1524, this model is the HIV+ club, sigh for the bad joke

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »

I love my new fangled gadget phone.

:) :D ;D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
Zach, I have a iPhone 5S you can borrow for a few months to see if you like it. PM me, or Facebook message me.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy

Offline zach

• G,D,Em,C
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
thanks for the offer abs, but whatever i carry for the next 5 months is sure to be ruined by the end of it, if it makes it... hell, if i make it

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
thanks for the offer abs, but whatever i carry for the next 5 months is sure to be ruined by the end of it, if it makes it... hell, if i make it

Have I missed a thread somewhere??  What are you about to embark on?
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline zach

• G,D,Em,C
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
Settling in on a Galaxy S4... now looking at the extra shit to go along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1TOUI6YGAIRM4/ref=topnav_lists_1

Mind taking a look my shopping list? Input is greatly appreciated here. Do I seem to have this well put together? Anything glare to experienced users that I am neglecting? Is there a more elegant and simple way of achieving my goal. Less is better, and trying to be as streamlined and light as possible.

The goal of this package is to be unsupported. The external battery, I need to go a maximum of 5 days between access to power, most of the phone use will be as a camera and to play music, rarely use the phone or internet during those stretches. This will charge the phone in between.

I'm figuring on dumping the pictures I take onto flash drives via the OTG cable.

When I'm near power and access to internet or wifi, I'll update my Spotify downloaded playlists for offline play. My thinking is that is why I want the minisd card for the phone.

I'll want to charge the phone, and the external battery at the same time, and have a couple open to share. Thats what the four port wall charger is for, and the three pack of cables.

Offline zach

• G,D,Em,C
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:51 PM »
Hey Ted (whens your birthday btw)

Since you mentioned GPS, I'd like to circle back and talk about that. I've put quite a bit of time and effort into saving placemarks in Google Earth, I'd like to be able to export those to the Android for use in the field. I'm pretty sure I've read good instructions for doing this, and until I have everything in hand I'm just researching.

Any experience with this?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:31:15 AM »
Hey Ted (whens your birthday btw)

Since you mentioned GPS, I'd like to circle back and talk about that. I've put quite a bit of time and effort into saving placemarks in Google Earth, I'd like to be able to export those to the Android for use in the field. I'm pretty sure I've read good instructions for doing this, and until I have everything in hand I'm just researching.

Any experience with this?

I've not done too much with Google Earth, besides looking at my house and other places of interest.  I've seen the Google Man come down the street twice (what are the odds) and I looked to see if I got into the Street View.  I didn't. 

It is my understanding that Google Earth doesn't work like YouTube, where you can save favorite videos and view them on any device.  I will have to defer to others.  I would be interested to know, too.  I don't think saved places on Google Maps syncs with Earth, unless you go through a big process.  Could be wrong. 

Offline zach

• G,D,Em,C
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
Thanks yall posting this from a galaxy s4

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 12:59:14 AM »
I love my S4.  I thought I had an S5 for a while, but its an S4.  I love it so much, that I didn't feel the need to upgrade, even though its time.  I'm waiting to see what the S6 will be.  Heard they may do an Edge version of that, along with a regular S6. 

Offline pittman

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »
Settling in on a Galaxy S4... now looking at the extra shit to go along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1TOUI6YGAIRM4/ref=topnav_lists_1

Mind taking a look my shopping list? Input is greatly appreciated here. Do I seem to have this well put together? Anything glare to experienced users that I am neglecting? Is there a more elegant and simple way of achieving my goal. Less is better, and trying to be as streamlined and light as possible.

The goal of this package is to be unsupported. The external battery, I need to go a maximum of 5 days between access to power, most of the phone use will be as a camera and to play music, rarely use the phone or internet during those stretches. This will charge the phone in between.

I'm figuring on dumping the pictures I take onto flash drives via the OTG cable.

When I'm near power and access to internet or wifi, I'll update my Spotify downloaded playlists for offline play. My thinking is that is why I want the minisd card for the phone.

I'll want to charge the phone, and the external battery at the same time, and have a couple open to share. Thats what the four port wall charger is for, and the three pack of cables.

You didn't mention what you are doing. Sounds like camping?

If so, perhaps the bio light stove? It's a small stove, wood powered, that also charges use devices. The inventor was just on an NPR show about this device.
http://www.amazon.com/BioLite-BL-CSA-Wood-Burning-Campstove/dp/B00BQHET9O#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.