POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 12:22:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639660
  • Total Topics: 48552
  • Online Today: 210
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dating and HIV  (Read 1524 times)

Offline TheRoof

Dating and HIV
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:09:49 AM »
I think one of the hardest things for me personally, is not the HIV. BUT dating while Hiv Positive. I have adapted shortly after I tested positive that it would be best for me to date another HIV Positive person. (These are personal reasons, and I feel that for me it would be best to do so that way)

I understand that it greatly limits my dating pool of potential candidates. Especially since(decent to good looking) gay-men (I am 21) are usually not very interested in the dating scene.

I am not against dating older men either, but that person has to have a lot of energy because I love to do a lot of physical activities… (Like the gym, hiking, swimming, sports... )

For anyone who is HIV Positive, where have you met your “significant” other that is also Hiv Positive? I understand sites like “adam4adam” and “manhunt” could potentially have candidates for dating. But it is mostly a sex-site. To have mid to high expectations there would just be fooling yourself. Lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:11:25 AM by TheRoof »

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Dating and HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »
I think one of the hardest things for me personally, is not the HIV. BUT dating while Hiv Positive. I have adapted shortly after I tested positive that it would be best for me to date another HIV Positive person. (These are personal reasons, and I feel that for me it would be best to do so that way)

Hey Roof,

This is something I adapted for myself as well after being diagnosed 6 years ago.  The fear of being rejected, judged, and in my mind, subsequently admonished for my status played a big part in making this decision.  But, you are right, we do limit our choices in the dating pool by doing this.

How to get beyond those feelings has escaped up to this point.  Some say being open about your status from the very beginning to every "potential candidate" is the way to go, personally I never bought into this for myself though-- there's more substance there than just my HIV status and no, if I was in the dating game, it's not just about sleeping with you.  Get to know me.

Your post strikes me this morning hard, I had some issues this weekend with some very close family-like friends.  Acceptance is funny, you know?

Anyways, for me, I found my mate on the POZ dating site.  Before meeting her, I dated several others from there as well.  You can also meet some great people here on the forums.  I know this probably offers little help; probably an indicator of the difficulties we face more than anything else.

Sorry.....

Skeebo
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline next2u

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
Hey Roof,

This is something I adapted for myself as well after being diagnosed 6 years ago.  The fear of being rejected, judged, and in my mind, subsequently admonished for my status played a big part in making this decision.  But, you are right, we do limit our choices in the dating pool by doing this.

How to get beyond those feelings has escaped up to this point.  Some say being open about your status from the very beginning to every "potential candidate" is the way to go, personally I never bought into this for myself though-- there's more substance there than just my HIV status and no, if I was in the dating game, it's not just about sleeping with you.  Get to know me.

Your post strikes me this morning hard, I had some issues this weekend with some very close family-like friends.  Acceptance is funny, you know?

Anyways, for me, I found my mate on the POZ dating site.  Before meeting her, I dated several others from there as well.  You can also meet some great people here on the forums.  I know this probably offers little help; probably an indicator of the difficulties we face more than anything else.

Sorry.....

Skeebo

Skeebo has some good points. I've also had some good run ins and made good friends from the Poz dating site. i choose to serosort (date based on hiv status) but am open to dating a negative person. My preference is poz and happiness.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5

Offline james3000

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »
Please remember you are not alone rejection is a universal thing and HIV makes it even more complicated.
Think of all the millions of people with HIV I and them feel the same as you.
What I feel I would do is perhaps be upfront about HIV Status on dating sites without giving a photo and being cautious to protect yourself.
Maybe your local ASO has a youth group or forum where you can discuss these issues that affect us all.

I am sure you will meet the right person for you and be happy.

Offline benten88

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »
Dating is going to be more difficult being positive but I don't think you should limit yourself to only dating someone that is positive. I'm 23 and have been positive for 8 months now; my dating life has not changed much since then. I think you should not be quick to give away your status; let the person get to know you a bit first.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.