POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23588
  • Latest: obie1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640597
  • Total Topics: 48657
  • Online Today: 240
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 179
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any thing to be carefull of when keeping tropical fish ?  (Read 3294 times)

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
Any thing to be carefull of when keeping tropical fish ?
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:55:10 AM »

Hi guys,
             I have recently gone back to an old hobby of keeping tropical fish, ( guppies, angle , discus and Siamese fighting fish   ;D

My no's are pretty good , UD , cd4 677,  % not so good 19 ,  health good

I know cats could be a problem with hiv. Some fish do carry some parasites,

I been trying to find info on anything to be carefull of ( when cleaning tanks etc ) , not much luck.

If anyone has any advice info would be greatly appreciated,

Sam
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Any thing to be carefull of when keeping tropical fish ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:11:27 AM »
Sam, as long as you're following normal hygiene precautions (such as washing your hands after cleaning the tank), I can't see it being a problem. If you're worried, you could wear washing-up gloves when cleaning the tank.

Cats are only a problem if you don't follow hygiene precautions when cleaning their litter box or cleaning up after fecal "accidents". I've had cats all my life and hiv is not going to change that. Cats who are strictly house-cats normally do not carry the bug that causes toxo, it's mainly ones who go outside (and possibly kill and eat birds or rodents) that you have to be cautious over. Of course it's always wise to wash your hands after cleaning the litter tray regardless of whether the cat is an indoor or an outdoor one.

Pets are good for us. Don't let hiv get in the way of owning fish. (or cats or dogs or horses or birds or whatever!)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:17 AM »

Sam, 

Ann's right don't let HIV get in the way of keeping fish.  Before I moved I had four tanks going, two with turtles and the other two with African Cichlids, never had a problem from either.  If you don't mind me asking, what kind of discus do you keep?   I use to keep German discus back in the late 90's. 

Happy fish keeping..

Skeebo
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
Hey Sam

I have 7 sheep, 8 Alpacas, 5 goats, 2 pigs, 25 chickens and two dogs and have never had any health problems, well none that are related to my animals, so I think if you just follow Anns instructions on hygiene you can't go wrong.

Enjoy your tropical fish.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
Any thing to be carefull of when keeping tropical fish ?

If your lifting weights, keep away from the tank !  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uXS-OfodQk

I've had fish for years, never had any problems !  Enjoy them !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline sam66

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »

Thanks guys,

You put my mind at ease.  I think you cant beat a bit of pet therapy .

Ann, I been getting visits from a couple of cats every morning ( mother and young kitten ) they would greet me and be very friendly ; then I realised they were more interested in my fish tank outside  :D , little buggers ! . tank got a cover , no probs

Skeebo, 
             I don't think what I have is German discus  , they were bought in thailand, and considering the price i paid for them, i doubt if they are import, must be locally bred but they seem to be healthy and strong .

Wow, what a collection of animals anniebc, wonderfull

JRE  , good advise, I only do a few  "sit ups" and "push ups" in front of the tank.  also I stopped practicing my golf swing indoors,  but this is only after two broken windows and a smashed light

sam

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
Yep, cats love fish tanks! But don't think they aren't interested in you as well - if they were only there for the fish, they wouldn't be chatting you up, they'd be scattering when they see you. They may be thinking of moving in with you. Don't worry about stroking them or anything, just wash your hands if you need to deal with kitty poo. :)

Did you seriously used to practice your golf swing inside the house? hehehehehe.... good grief! :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:47:44 AM by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
I don't know about fish, but in my house we have some pets too. 3 dogs (yorkshire terriers), 7 birds,  3 turtles and this year my mom adopted 2 cats .. at first I fret because of toxo, but I had to inform a little, and I was ok then. We agreed that I won't have to deal with the kitty litter. Now the two damn cats cause a real mess on my room  :D
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - today)

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
Even if someone dares you, don't eat them raw.  Cook them first.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 05:58:53 AM »
Hey Sam

I have 7 sheep, 8 Alpacas, 5 goats, 2 pigs, 25 chickens and two dogs and have never had any health problems, well none that are related to my animals, so I think if you just follow Anns instructions on hygiene you can't go wrong.

Enjoy your tropical fish.

Aroha
Jan

I was gonna say Jan is the posterchild of pet ownership in the hiv+ community but seems she already made her point brilliantly.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
posts like this are why this site needs a "Like" button. LOL
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
I was gonna say Jan is the posterchild of pet ownership in the hiv+ community

She's more of a Zoo-keeper than a Pet owner.  ;)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
She's more of a Zoo-keeper than a Pet owner.  ;)

-Will

Whachit, she'll throw you to the loins lions! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Billy B

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
I don't know if Sam saw the same report that I did on TV but a young lady had scraped her hand while cleaning her tank and contracted a bacterial infection that she can't get rid of. I Googled and found quite a bit of info concerning infections and fish tanks.
That said, I take care of a couple fish tanks at work and I always wear over the elbow rubber gloves when cleaning the tanks. I do this more to protect the fish because I use hand cleaners and sanitizers and I don't want to endanger the fish.
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »

If he has open sores, or something like a recently amputated finger, arm or both arms, he should take certain precautions...... of course.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Billy B

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:25 AM »

If he has open sores, or something like a recently amputated finger, arm or both arms, he should take certain precautions...... of course.

True. My ID doctors treats other infections besides HIV and when I asked about my tanks at work he said that no one with open cuts should be working in a fish tank without proper gloves. He actually told me that he saw far less bacterial infections in his HIV patients because they tend to be more cautious.
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:47 AM »

If he has open sores, or something like a recently amputated finger, arm or both arms, he should take certain precautions...... of course.[/quote

So true Mr Skeebo people rush into a variety off activities way too early with all kinds off amputations and open sores.
I have also heard stories off folk drinking coffee when its way to hot for the average human to consume.
When will they learn? Thank you for your concern.
t

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:24:26 AM by Theyer »
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
I loaded this screen saver on my 32 inch PC monitor.  It is so soothing:

http://www.serenescreen.com/product/maquarium3x/index.php
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline sam66

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »
Thanks guys

me and the fish are doing fine,

Rubber gloves a good idea  ;D

bear;   sea bass  , steamed or fried in garlic  , delish !   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »
                bear;   sea bass  , steamed or fried in garlic  , delish !   

I never liked fish until I worked as a commercial fishermanbitch. Nothing beats Dover Sole straight off the deck and into the pan in ten minutes. Yumyumyum! And queenies from the Gigha Sound are the sweetest in the world. :) 

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.