POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:27:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650159
  • Total Topics: 49630
  • Online Today: 184
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What will they think of next?...  (Read 1311 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
What will they think of next?...
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »

New cremation alternative coming to St. Petersburg

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/september/306229/New-cremation-alternative-coming-to-St.-Petersburg

ST. PETERSBURG --

Deciding how to be buried - or burying a loved one - is a decision everyone has to face.

And now many people are making that decision with an eye to a greener approach, especially when it comes to cremation.

The first eco-friendly cremation machine in the United States has recently started operation at Anderson-McQueen Funeral Home in St. Petersburg.

The owner of the funeral home, John McQueen, spent $450,000 on the resomation machine. It's an expensive venture that McQueen said provides an alternative form of cremation.

The machine uses water, potassium hydroxide, heat and pressure - or alkaline hydrylosis - instead of flames to dissolve the body.

"This is much more environmentally friendly, eco-friendly type of cremation process," McQueen said.

Scottish inventor Sandy Sullivan said he invented the resomator because cremation has a lot of downfalls, including the release of mercury.

"What alot of people don't realize is that if you have amalgam type fillings, they release mercury into the atmosphere, so that's quite considerable," he said.

Experts said the non-toxic process does in several hours what it takes nature years to accomplish.

"Clearly it's not a natural process because you're using a chemical," Sullivan said. "However, it uses alkaline hydrolysis. Now, that chemistry is exactly the same chemistry that nature uses."

Those who choose to have their loved ones buried with this process will still get cremated remains back for an urn.

The leftover fluid will then be safely treated by a wastewater treatment system.

The process isn't available quite yet. McQueen is still finalizing some portions of the process, but he said he hops to give families the greener option soon.

As for the cost, he said resomation won't cost much more than traditional cremation.

Ray ( love some of the comments) 
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: What will they think of next?...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
The leftover fluid will then be safely treated by a wastewater treatment system.
isn't that how the Fremen have been doing it on Dune for centuries?  :)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
it could easily be made into a deathstill, water rings and ritual drinking of the dead coming soon.

or you could make all kinds of interesting things with the byproducts. memorials so to speak

you could make soap with the remains of your loved ones, nothing says clean like passed loved one soaps.

potassium hydroxide is caustic potash or lye, it makes a great soap... you could mix it with fat from the local lipo clinic, (fight club reference) and market it as the first eco-human soap. i love this idea!

alkalines are also be used to make batteries, how about a light up memorial using a battery made from ol grandpa?

it could also be turned into a salt by mixing it with an acid, which acid you use will determine what type of salt you'll get....

as for me i want to be burned in an open air funeral pyre, and a tree planted in ashes

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:17:03 PM by zach »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »
And why, in a big country at least, is it not green to bury a body in the ground?
Can't we just leave some rituals alone?  Yank out the teeth before burning, if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:40:57 PM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
alkalines are also be used to make batteries, how about a light up memorial using a battery made from ol grandpa?
Memory Lights ™ - what an awesome idea and so eco-friendly combined with LEDs. ;D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
Oh, I'd love to be an Oscar Mayer wiener.
That is what I'd truly like to be.
'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener,
Everyone would be in love with me.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »
Soylent Green, baby.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »
Forget all that, I'm going out as bling:

http://www.lifegem.com/index.aspx?BType=GTxt&BAg=HCrem&gclid=CLSyxNHEhKsCFQ9S7AodphT73w

I'm with you on that one Basquo..I'm thinking Ruby.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:48 AM »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.