POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 12:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632657
  • Total Topics: 47924
  • Online Today: 288
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being Poz and Jobs in Food Industry (in the USA)  (Read 1265 times)

Offline thelovedones

Being Poz and Jobs in Food Industry (in the USA)
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
Do you have to disclose your HIV status to work as a chef, get into a culinary program or work in a kitchen? Is it necessary to disclose as a condition for employment or entrance into a culinary school? Is there a definitive source for this information?
2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline Valmont

Re: Being Poz and Jobs in Food Industry (in the USA)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
This is a typical (stupid?) innocuity question I´ve heard when I was training people in food safety...

Well, as you know, HIV cannot be transmitted by food.  It is completely impossible.

Anyway, as you also know, people that are sick or ill cannot manage food or working in food transformation.  Why?  Because there is a rick of infectious contamination that can affect to the costumer (particularly immunodefficient people, young children and babies, pregnant women and old people).

You may know about food standard that exist and must be applied in all the food chain, from "farm to folk".  Good Manufacturing Practices are basic food safety, there are some other standard you should know, as ISO 22000, HACCP or AIB.  They defined that people that are sick cannot be in contact with food.  This is the case for people that are contaminated with HIV or not.  What should be understand is why this exists?

Well, the matter  with food is the possibilities of contamination with biological agents.  But HIV is NOT transmitted that way...

You can be very honest with your boss, but it is highly possible you can be discriminated because of people don´t know so well about our disease and imagine many stupid things...

My advise: still work with food, don´t say anything to anyone, if you get sick or ill don´t go to work, take care about cuts and never work with an open cut (this apply for anyone who work in a process plan or kitchen...) and don´t worry, you will never infect anybody working in a kitchen.

I hope this could help you...

Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
Via the site, over the past 7 years, I've had chats with three actively employed chefs: two men and one woman -- all HIV positive.

Offline karry

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
I work very closely with the food industry as well, and I can say Valmont is right on point with his answer. You can definitely work in the food industry as an HIV positive person provided you follow the basic hygeine principles that apply to EVERYBODY ELSE who works in that industry.

I dont see the need to disclose your status in a situation like this. I dont know about the US but I do know for sure that in Canada you will not be required to disclose your status in this case.
Karry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:33:05 PM by karry »
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline PozJeepGuy

• Facebook - Jacob Perry
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 03:12:26 AM »
As a chef I asked myself that same question.  I even went to my employer and told them. I was told I'm not the first And I won't be the last. If you cut your self it's like everyone else. Throw the food away, sanitize your equipment, bandage your self up and move forward. My work has been wonderful even to the point of giving me flexibility with my schedule for doctor appointments and what ever.

You will hear alot of people telling you either to disclose or not. I just want to say we have enough on our plates to worry about rather then who knows and doesn't.  Telling your work isn't always a bad thing.  Working in the food industry people our chatty.  Another thing is you mentioned a culinary program.  Do you currently work in a kitchen??  I only ask because as someone that's been doing this now for 13 years.... It's back breaking work. Nights, weekends, holidays and starting out you do all the grunge work.

If it's your calling than go for it.  It is a so rewarding at times. If your like me the only time I find peace is cooking. Might explain the 70 hour week before last and the 82 hours last week.

Jacob Perry

I refuse to wear my HIV as a badge of shame any longer.

Offline thelovedones

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
Sorry if it was a stupid question, but I just wasn't sure if there were restrictions or not.

I'm not in a program; I'm looking them over. I just didnt want to bother if I was already preculded from it. To be honest, I don't want to work in a restaurant; I'm more interested in recipe testing and test kitchen stuff. It's gotten to the point where the only time I'm at peace and centered is when I'm shopping for ingredients and cooking, so I'm guessing that's a calling.
2/26/11 – Diagnosis at State Dept of Health (anonymous testing center)
2/28/11 – Oral Swab Positive diagnosis and confirmatory blood test taken
3/4/11 – Confirmed HIV Positive diagnosis; blood drawn for T-cell count, VL, and medical profile
3/11/11 – VL: 192765, T-cell: 195
3/16/11 – Prescribed Atripla and took Pill 1
4/29/11 - VL: 413, T-cell: 311
6/28/11 - VL: UNDETECTABLE, T-Cell: 437

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
Sorry if it was a stupid question, but I just wasn't sure if there were restrictions or not.

Don't be sorry - it's not a stupid question. It can be difficult to know where you stand particularly when you consider some of the outlandish criminal prosecutions for no-risk events like spitting on someone.

And remember, there are no such things as stupid questions, but unfortunately, there are such things as stupid answers.

Good luck with the cooking thing. I don't blame you for not wanting to work in a restaurant - it's gruelling work.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
This is a good thread.  I've wanted to approach a similar discussion from the standpoint of potluck office affairs.

At my previous job I brought in food and ate dishes prepared by others. My banana pudding even won a presentation and taste contest.

I have not participated in potluck at my current job.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:20:01 AM by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
If you feel like it's a calling, then you should absolutely answer the call! Passions are some of the reasons to live, after all.  :D

If food, ingredients and testing new recipes and flavours with them is what makes you happy, go for it. As other said, there are no limitations because of HIV. Just keep a good sanitary level in the kitchen, and you'll be cool.

(Now I feel like watching Top Chef...)

Offline PozJeepGuy

• Facebook - Jacob Perry
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Don't mean to be downer but those kind of positions have a very long waiting list.  Even now I doing my time in the restaurant to be able to transfer to recipe development and test kitchen. You will have to have a few years experience before those doors will open. We all have to do a few years of practical work to understand how flavors work and see how they can be put from idea to actual use in kitchens. Hell I went to le cordon bleu I have cooked for 8 years, thought for 4 and have written two cook books and still in the waiting list, but it is worth it. Best of luck man
Jacob Perry

I refuse to wear my HIV as a badge of shame any longer.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.