POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639885
  • Total Topics: 48583
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Lab Results  (Read 2059 times)

Offline New Poz Guy

First Lab Results
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
I just wanted to share my lab work and get some feedback from my visit today.
My CD4 came in at 428, 18.6% (still not real clear what the percentage represents) and My VC is at 96,939.
All other lab work came back looking very good - meaning everything else was in the normal range and no other bugs were present. My Dr. then took blood work for pheno-type? Might have gotten that wrong but they want to be sure I don't have a strain that has resistance to a component of the Atripla, they suggested would be best for me, based on lifestyle, work, etc. I also got my first vaccination for Hep B which I have never had (one more next month and a third shot in 6 mos.).
Based on my Viral count, I am right on the cusp to begin treatment now. I got my prescription for the Atripla and a Benedryl generic to help me sleep the first few nights. It's up to me now when I want to begin.
Would really appreciate the feedback on how my numbers stack up as newly diagnosed and some views on when to begin...thanks to all.
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Results 8/12/11 - CD4 428 18.6% VL - 96,939
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11
Results 9/13/11 - CD4 629 24.2% VL - 930 !!

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: First Lab Results
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
With the high viral load and the a cd4% on the lower side (normal range is 30%-61%), I would go ahead and start the Atripla - BUT, keep in mind that is only my opinion.  Everyone is different and has various factors influencing the decision of whether to start meds or not -- willingness to be adherent is a primary factor.

For me, I would want to be on the upside of taking control of the virus - but that is only one person's opinion.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline metekrop

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »
I would definitely advise you to go ahead and sit on your meds.  When I first diagnosed back in YR 2000, my CD was 440 and VL was around 20K.  However, I started med after nine years and now my CD percentage is around 20% the rest of my results are as shown in my profile.  You should then be courageous enough to start your meds and improve your numbers to a greater one. 
Diag on Dec 8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
Dec/08 - Feb/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - July/09 CD 179, VL 197k
Oct/09 CD 300 VL UD Chol 267
Mar/10 CD 468 UD, Ch 220
Aug/10 CD 460 UD, Ch 195
Dec/10 CD 492 UD, Ch 172
Mar/11 CD 636 UD, Ch 201
Aug/11 CD 530 UD, Ch 98
Jan/12 cd 616 UD, ch 189
Jul/12 CD 640 UD, Ch ?
Dec/12 CD 669 Ud, Ch 125
May/7 CD711 Ud, Ch?
Nov/ 22 663 UD, Ch,
April 17 CD 797, UD

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Hi NPG, Although I think its a fair bet that you would need to start treatment sooner rather than later, (like Phil said) adherence is crucial and therefore it is vital that one is mentally prepared to making a life-time commitment to the treatment.  

Also if I remember correctly, you are over 50, right? I have read that it may not be wise to delay treatment by too much after one crosses 50 as the body's ability to fend off the virus is not as strong as a 25 year old. But this is based on studies and doesn't apply equally to everyone as the disease is very individual.

Perhaps you could discuss this a little more with your doctor before commencing therapy.

In my case it's been 6 months since diagnosis and I am still a bit emotional about everything so I have chosen to defer initiation of therapy until I feel I am ready to take the plunge. However, my numbers so far are ok which means I do have the luxury of waiting at this point.

Good luck

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:45:21 PM by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
Thanks Phil, mete, and space for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
It's funny that I put off testing for a few years but now diagnosed, I'm thinking why wait, no time like the present..
Still not sure when to start, but I'm leaning towards this weekend so I can shake that initial first night side effects (if any) on Tripla without worrying about work the next day. Shit, I hate this....  :-[
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
Your CD4% is the % of CD4+ T cells as a proportion of all white blood cells. A % of 18 or so is equal to the level when treatment is recommended. Your CD4 count is a little high for the % figure, and more than the CD4 count when treatment is recommended. With just one set of results it's hard to know which is more right, the CD4 count or CD4%. Personally I would wait for a second set of results. But then again starting treatment isn't going to do any harm (side effects aside), and will do much good. Depends how you feel about treatment immediately.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
Your CD4% is the % of CD4+ T cells as a proportion of all white blood cells. A % of 18 or so is equal to the level when treatment is recommended. Your CD4 count is a little high for the % figure, and more than the CD4 count when treatment is recommended. With just one set of results it's hard to know which is more right, the CD4 count or CD4%. Personally I would wait for a second set of results. But then again starting treatment isn't going to do any harm (side effects aside), and will do much good. Depends how you feel about treatment immediately.

- matt

Just working up the courage to begin...probably should have started tonight to give myself a few groggy mornings before work Monday AM, but I only got lab results today and just not prepared to start tonight. Thinking I'd better start tomorrow night or I will end up waiting till next Friday, again....I know I'm making a bigger deal about this than I need to to but there's a certain finality to starting this, that polarizes me - at least tonight, anyway....
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Offline TakingAChance

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »
Hi. I understand the waiting process. I wanted a few blood work ups before I determined what to do. My numbers were different. My pheno test helped me reach the conclusion to start med's a couple of months after diagnosed. My CD4 count was 526 . Anyway, I knew I was going on medication one day so why not make it one day now I thought? It's a very personal decision to go on med's. My Tcells went up to 700 and vl undetectable since I started treatment 4 months ago. I feel better then I have in yrs. No side effects worth complaining about, very mild stuff. Good luck with your decision.
Fasten Your Seat Belts...It's going to be a Bumpy Ride!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 01:29:40 AM »
If it was me I wouldn't wait.  Again, personal decision. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
If I were you, I'd wait at least until the result from the resistance testing comes in. Why fill the script and pay for meds when you might be resistant to one of them? Personally, I'm surprised your doctor gave you the script before the results were in. Seems like putting the horse before the cart, if you ask me.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
. Seems like putting the horse before the cart, if you ask me.

It does seem odd that they would prescribe meds before the resistance test. 

Isnt the horse supposed to be before the cart?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
It does seem odd that they would prescribe meds before the resistance test. 

Isnt the horse supposed to be before the cart?

Yes, and I believe in Dog.

You know what I mean! ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
If he was sitting in the hospital with PCP, 4 tcells, and an astronomical viral load I can understand it. There's no rush with his numbers.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
If he was sitting in the hospital with PCP, 4 tcells, and an astronomical viral load I can understand it. There's no rush with his numbers.

I hear that!!! 

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
If I were you, I'd wait at least until the result from the resistance testing comes in. Why fill the script and pay for meds when you might be resistant to one of them? Personally, I'm surprised your doctor gave you the script before the results were in. Seems like putting the horse before the cart, if you ask me.

The PA I am working with said in 16 years working with HIV patients, she's only seen one or two individuals who were strain resistant (to a certain anti viral med) prior to ever beginning treatment. For that reason she said if I was prepared to start I should go ahead.
The way I see it is that my body is doing a valiant effort at fighting this thing off on it's own (the 428 CD4 @ 18.6%) - why wait to to give it the help it's going to be getting shortly anyway?
I appreciate everyone's feedback in helping me make the right decision for me.
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.