HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

should i get tested?

(1/2) > >>

david:
 ???

Hi,

I was rather stupid several weeks ago when I received oral sex (I was the one being sucked) from a guy I didnt know.  This probably only lasted a couple of minutes at most.  After I was really worried and washed my penis a bit too much in shower gel.  A few days later I develped some inflammation at the opening to my urethra which panicked me.  Went to get tested at 8 days but got the all clear for everything. However, at this early stage the HIV test is meaningless. The inflammation cleared up on its own after a few weeks.  I am not at 12-13 weeks and thinking about whether I need to get a proper 3 month HOV test done?  The thing that has worried me is that I recently developed an odd sore throat (12-13 weeks after) It has lasted one week now but has almost gone.  Not really sore, but a bit uncomforable when swallowing.  Not sure if I have swollen lymph nodes.  HOw big should they get? Is it really obvious?

anyway, I have been stressing about this almost every hour for the last 100 days. Its driving me crazy with stress. I have read the welcome forum thingy and I know that receiving oral is very low risk but they all say low risk is not no risk.  a Small risk is still enought ot dirve me mad with worry.

Maybe I jsut need some reassurance.  Do I need to get tested again?

Cheers and thanks for your patience.

Ann:
David,

You can stop stressing now because getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection and you certainly don't need to test over a blowjob.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you do NOT need to test over your blowjob, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You didn't have a risk.

Ann

Andy Velez:
And just to add to Ann's comments, in the entire history of the epidemic and uncounted blowjobs later, there has never been a single documented case of transmission by getting one.

It's safe to say you aren't going to make history by becoming the first. No kidding.

Cheers,

david:
Thanks for the advice,

A couple of things though.  Am I correct in thinking that the strange dry sore throat I had at 12-13 weeks post possible exposure is A/ much too late to be a sign of acute infection and B/ too mild to be a sign of infection.

Also,  everyone quotes that there have been no documented cases in the studies of infection from receiving oral and people have millions of blowjobs every day. HOwever, surely the studies only represent a very small number of people e.g. a few thousand.  Why is it that the people at the STD clinic only say oral has a smaller risk of infection and do not go futher and say it is virtually impossible?  Do docs at clinics actually see people infected this way? My point is that as far as I ama aware there are only a few studies on transmission via oral sex and they only cover a few hundred or thousand of people. Is this representative?

Cheers

RapidRod:
All your symptoms you are having, have nothing to do with HIV. See a doctor if need be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version