POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 08:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23759
  • Latest: JV
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643208
  • Total Topics: 48938
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High responsabilities work  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Valmont

High responsabilities work
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
I have another question.  Im actually working in an importante place with many people that depends of me, managing a big company.  You can imagine, lot of stress, dificulty for eating well and so on...

From your experience, do you think this kind of life is compatible with holding HIV virus?  For how many time?

I read many stories about people that had to give up their carrier and it make me very worried about...
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: High responsabilities work
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
Hi Valmont:

I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago and have continued to work full-time (40-50 hours a week) plus I do private consulting work that adds another 40-50 hours a month at times to my "work hours."  My job is extremely high stress - with constant deadlines.  While I do experience fatigue - I have been able to maintain.  Everyone is different --- I'm on meds (Atripla), I try to get at least 7 hours sleep a night, and do my best to eat at least two meals a day (with one of them being pretty well balanced).

Overall, I haven't had too many issues --- and some of the issues I have had (medical) aren't necessarily related to being positive ---- some may have occurred regardless of whether I was poz or not. 

I think that as long as you make sure you adhere to your meds (if you are on them); get enough rest; listen to your body when it says slow down; and try to eat right, you should be okay.  I am hoping to get at least another 18 years work in before I retire  ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline txasnguy

• "never judge a book by its cover"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:37:28 PM »
woh wow phil ,  that sounds like lots and lots of hours that you have to put in for work.  i know everybody is different but i get so tired and fatigued and not to mention the constant tummy problems.  and it makes it so difficult for me to stay on even with one job.  and also i am dealing with depression which i am finally getting help taking meds and soon come counseling too.  i just dont know how you are able to handle working those kinds of hours.  i use to work on retail as cashier for walmart superstore and it has a great deal of stress every day.  So my partner said that it is really not worth loosing my cd 4 for it.  and he told me to leave that kind of job. 
mr.dj 
 True Love Can Move Mountains

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
I think that as long as you make sure you adhere to your meds (if you are on them); get enough rest; listen to your body when it says slow down; and try to eat right, you should be okay.

I agree with phildinftlaudy. I went through graduate school and have worked full-time for 18 years while HIV+. Currently I work two jobs totaling 56 hours per week doing crisis work. Taking your meds without fail is going to be the best thing you can do.

woh wow phil ,  that sounds like lots and lots of hours that you have to put in for work.  i know everybody is different but i get so tired and fatigued and not to mention the constant tummy problems.  and it makes it so difficult for me to stay on even with one job.  and also i am dealing with depression which i am finally getting help taking meds and soon come counseling too.  i just dont know how you are able to handle working those kinds of hours.  i use to work on retail as cashier for walmart superstore and it has a great deal of stress every day.  So my partner said that it is really not worth loosing my cd 4 for it.  and he told me to leave that kind of job. 

Everyone is going to be different. Some people are going to have a rougher time even if you do everything "right": side effects, depression, co-infections, etc. Just do what is best for you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:46:53 PM by GSOgymrat »

Offline txasnguy

• "never judge a book by its cover"
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
I agree with phildinftlaudy. I went through graduate school and have worked full-time for 18 years while HIV+. Currently I work two jobs totaling 56 hours per week doing crisis work. Taking your meds without fail is going to be the best thing you can do.

Everyone is going to be different. Some people are going to have a rougher time even if you do everything "right": side effects, depression, co-infections, etc. Just do what is best for you.

not sure if this relates with the subject but while i was reading the quote on the end of  gsogymrat.   i really like that one from elizabeth taylor.   thanks.
mr.dj 
 True Love Can Move Mountains

Offline surf18

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
No sarcasim here
I run a business still do that
Still work out hard every day
I'm 41
I take my pills
Truthfully the weeks before dx I never felt worse in my life.
I was so damn tired I bought caffeine pills honest to god.
Found out I had this
Went on meds two weeks later and here I am

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:39:26 PM »
I have another question.  Im actually working in an importante place with many people that depends of me, managing a big company.  You can imagine, lot of stress, dificulty for eating well and so on...

From your experience, do you think this kind of life is compatible with holding HIV virus?  For how many time?

I read many stories about people that had to give up their carrier and it make me very worried about...

Everyone's situation is unique, and it depends on how HIV has affected you.  But if you are on meds, your viral load is under control and your CD4 counts are up, then HIV probably won't be the determining factor in whether you can handle a job with lots of responsibilities.  You will need to manage stress, balance your work and personal life, and take care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally.  Most of us usually can't do everything we want to do, so you have to make trade-offs.

I work in the software industry, managing a department of about 16 software engineers.  Long hours, tight schedules, and constant change are the norm.  A 50-hour work week would seem like a vacation to me.  I just wrapped up a 4-week period of testing to get our latest product out the door, working about 80-90 hours a week.  I am not recommending this, by any means.  Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.  Now, I'm going on vacation, because my brain is mush! 

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Valmont

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
Great, thank you so much to every one...  HIV is new in my life and you know, many doubts and questions appear, reading this type of comments make me feel better and seeing another life is posible, more difficult, but also great to be lived.

Of course, this is not all the best life can offer, but it is good to know that it can be managed...  Sure, if the job is exciting, it might be easier to do it well...

I hope all of us will still be able to work more and more years !!!!
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:48 AM »
Its nice to hear that others have some of the same fears I have/had.  I found out I was positive while I was finishing up grad school.  I thought to myself, has all this work been a waste? Whats the point of a Masters degree if I cant use it?  I dont think about that much anymore.  Funny thing is...Im actually starting to value some things other than what I valued as success prior to hiv.

Offline karry

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »
I was diagnosed exactly one month prior to my defence date. I had done four years of ardours lab work, research etc, written my thesis, had everything ready for defence and exactly a month before that I got my diagnosis. The initial shock almost made me cancel my defence, because I felt my postgraduate degree was going to be of no use to me....I am so grateful my mum talked me out of it, encouraged me to go and defend my thesis. I am glad I listened to her, because now I have a good job in my field and I feel rewarded.

My boyfriend is +ve, has been on meds for over five years and has a very active military life. He is not going on retirement anytime soon. He often has to command a good number of soldiers and he copes pretty well with the stress of it as well as long deployments from home.

So I feel and hope you are going to be able to cope well with your responsibilities. However, as some of the posters have responded, it is always good to listen to your body, because independent of your status, if you dont listen to your body you may burn the candle at both ends.

Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
Hello Valmont

I think it is good that you caught this infection before it "festered" as it were. Starting treatment while you are still healthy will likely preserve your ability to work much like you did before. 

But you may need to listen to your body in a new way, and take care of yourself.  HIV can be a wake-up call that you are still mortal and subject to all the perils of the flesh.

I had one of those jobs with the 80-90 hour work weeks, the large staff and the mix of national and global responsibilities.  My infection was diagnosed very late, when I was in the hospital on the third round of pneumonia -- I had to take a couple months off and when I went back to work I ramped up 10 hours a week and found that I just could not push it past 60 hours a week any more.  That is still a lot and I could have stayed in that job, but I decided to quit  and left about 16 months after I came back to work (it helped I was old enough to get some retiree benefits).  I don't think you will have the same issues -- you are younger and found out you were infected early on -- but you asked for experiences so...

By the way, there were some techniques I used to manage the stress during those 16 months I stayed in that job.  The most helpful were around managing travel.  If that is a major component of your work you might want to think about the selected use of videoconferencing to replace some travel-- these days it is practical and a handy cost saving measure. But even with that I still traveled two days a week and I found that it reduced stress a lot to catch the first or second flight out that day.  Those flights almost always leave on time -- so it is efficient with your time -- and you are not hanging around the airport forever having to reschedule meetings and everything else around flight delays.

Best wishes to you -- listen to your body -- but you should be fine

Assurbanipal

(oh, and welcome to the forums)

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%

Online mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
I have another question.  Im actually working in an importante place with many people that depends of me, managing a big company.  You can imagine, lot of stress, dificulty for eating well and so on...

From your experience, do you think this kind of life is compatible with holding HIV virus?  For how many time?

Depends on your own health and energy. There is no rule here.
Were you diagnosed in otherwise good health?  Are you ready to start HAART when your oomph starts fading? (Some people let this die down of CD4 drag on a bit too long and experience fatigue, misc sicknesses, mental issues, etc.  Other people feel fit and fighting down to the last Tcell.  I think this is very individual.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:41:35 PM by mecch »
From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need 1875 K Marx

Offline Valmont

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »
Well, last days made me consider many things in my life and priorities are changing...  Of course I was looking for that kind of position for years and it is almost so new has the desease for me...

Working 80 hours hve no sense for me, ive done it last years and I started having many heath problems that dont have nothing about HIV (other problem that were not desease too)

It is interesting to have your point of view.  Actually, I feel exhausted, I think it is for the stress of the new, I sleep a lot but dont rest.  I always think about that, but I also still have a positive attitude...  Im worry about my numbers, Idont have any idea about how long Ive been infected, I think it is brand new, but if not????

But I feel good to see that for many of you, HIV is compatible with an active life !!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.