POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2015, 08:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 661784
  • Total Topics: 50795
  • Online Today: 239
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stuggling with my Hair, helpppp! Lol  (Read 380 times)

Offline RobbyR

Stuggling with my Hair, helpppp! Lol
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Ok all, hope someone can offer me some advice here! I consider myself a pretty style conscious person, & am always getting compliments about a vest or hat or bag or something. But there's one thing I cannot figure out! My hair! I am a tall, slim guy, 5'11, about 165, slender build, long face, fairly wide forehead (which I hate). But I cannot figure out what to do with my hair!

It grows very straight & wiry, no curl or texture at all. Just straight & when it's the least bit long it wants to just lay down at the part. On top, it's thinner, and just wants to lie to the side. I cannot get any height out of it at ALL! I also have a cowlick right in front on the right that I can never tame. Even when my hair is cut short, it won't stay down.

I hate my hair. I've tried different styles. In high school it grew fairly long but was a pretty hideous bowl shape. Now, the last few years, the girls I go to cut it fairly short for me. It stays manageable for a few days but as soon as it comes in the least bit, it gets wiry & just wants to lay flat again.

I've tried products like wax & glue, & mousse none of these work they just make it feel gross wet & accentuate make my hair look way too thin.

I am thinking now that maybe I'll try growing it longer in front, to kind of hide my forehead, & cut it shorter in the back, so like a sloping fade kind of, with a slightly textured messy front. I still wish I could get the height on top but gravity just will not cooperate. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Started Atripla August, 2010.

Offline RobbyR

Re: Stuggling with my Hair, helpppp! Lol
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
Ideally I'd like something I can just wake up & kind of not worry much about. Some have told me shorter is better & yeah when it's shorter it looks good but it doesn't last but a few days when it starts to grow in it then gets totally wiry & uncontrollable. And I simply cannot get that height on top that so many do. So should I go for longer in front & top & shorter in back? I don't think longer all over will look right on me because I am tall & thin & long hair tends to make me look smothered & sickly.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »
I gave up and shaved my head.  My hair was thinning and I have a receding hair line.  Wish I could be of help, but I couldn't figure out what to do with my own. 

Even though the shaved look has become more popular, a full head of hair that is stylable is still what so many want and what many find sexy.  The shaved look is sexy to many, but most men we see in magazines and on TV have a full head of hair that they are able to do different styles.  It seems your problem isn't that you are bald and need to just go with a shaved head, but maybe it would look hot on you?  The only thing that comes to mind is the Something About Mary solution..lol.

Online zach

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
ragnar lothbrok's hair is awesome
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Offline initforlife

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:49:55 AM »
I find some bald guys very sexy. Only bad part  is when we have wild sex and they end up with scratches on their head  they say its hard to explain to others lol.  Shave it for awhile see how it looks it will always grow back.   
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:27:49 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_cut

Try the classic caesar cut. probably a hairdresser of a certain age will have mastered it, maybe a barber around since the 90s too.

It should be cut and layered to lay flat.  Then use some mud or gunk style dressing, you just smear it on your palms to heat it up and smear around the head to bring out the texture of the caesar cut. there's lots of this gunk available in the drug store you don't need fancy gunk. 

the cut can work with thin straight hair.  a cut should last you 4-6 weeks i guess.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:56:13 PM »
I'm with Ted on this one.  Started losing my hair, receding hairline.  Shave it. 

You can definately get out of bed and go, and save a bunch on hair care products.

Besides, a man that fusses with his hair is....a woman (jk)
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips ya'll. I'm definitely not receding at all, or losing hair. I still have a fully full head of hair, my hair has just always been coarse yet grows straight out & thin on top & due to the part & cowlick which I inherited, it wants to just lie to the side. Ughh. I have a long thin head, & a prominent forhead, and am already very tall & thin, so I don't think bald would work for me, or even buzzed. I'd just look sickly I think.

I've been cutting it short, which looks good for a few days but as soon as it grows in, it again wants to lie flat and to the side. Which looks baaaad on me. That's why I'm wondering if I can use the part to my advantage & let it grow longer on top & do like a mini-fade on bottom, kind of like those early-90s hairstyles that had long wavy hair on top down over one eye or the forehead & short in back. I just need something that will look cute I can roll out of bed with and put a little product in and go.

If it was up to me, I'd just wear fedoras or cabbie hats all the time, but can't do that to work sadly. I also have an ugly cowlick in the back towards the top.

I def can't shave, I'd look bad because of my build, I need something up top. And my forehead is so prominent, and my head is enlongated.

My two options as I see it are keeping the short cut but waiting much less between cuts, maybe no more than two weeks, or growing it long on top & front (I think I'd look decent with a bang) & short in back & on sides.

Employers should really allow people who hate their hair to wear hats, I literally have a hat in every style & color, I'd be totally happy just wearing hats every day! Lol.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:36:35 PM »
I don't know, I've seen many skinny guys with shaved heads.  It's more about the shape of your head, rather than weight.  A prominent forehead is hard to conceal.  But, if a shaved head is not something for you, then it's not for you.  I had some time over the summer with no events, so I tried it. 

Doesn't Adam look good, and he's pretty thin?

This guy is my twin-- muscles and tats.   ::)  With my shaved head and beard growth, we do have similar shaped faces and head.  I just need to lift a few more days a week, and I'm there.

Offline Jeff G

• How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:11:41 PM »
I have short hair but leave it long in front to make spit curls to frame my pretty face . I am just kidding of course .

I have short thick hair with 3 cowlicks in the back that if cut too short stick straight up like the little rascals boy . I towel dry my hair and slightly blow dry the front up to give it a bit of volume … its easy and done in 30 seconds .

You don’t have to choose between putting product in your hair … it can be some or none or a combo . Try a shorter cut and blow the front up for a little lift off the forehead and see how you like it.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #10 on: Today at 05:37:22 PM »

This is kind of the look I'm going for. I have one cowlick in front & a crown in the back. The shape of my head is long kind of an egghead shape. It wouldn't look right shaved due to the shape of my head. The shorter cuts look ok like I said first but as soon as it grows in, it's impossible to do anything with it. So I'm going for the shorter on back & sides, & trying for a bang in front because I hate my forehead, & give it a little texture like in the picture. Not sure it will work because my hair is so wiry & thin & wants to just lie to side, but I think if I work with it it may work. Dunno.

What's a good style/cut for someone tall/thin with a long/head?

Adam Levine looks good but he has a more rounded head, mine is elongated.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:45:27 PM »
The girl who cuts my hair told me if I grow the bangs in front & put some type of paste product in it, it could also hide my forehead (which I love) & also my cowlick. I still am a bit worried about the top, because that is a bit thin but if I can find the right product to put in while dry, it might work.

I'd be totally content wearing my fedoras & hats everyday but I'll give this my best shot. Lol.

Online zach

« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:02:49 PM »
ya know, best haircut i've EVER had was in jail down in miami

cuban guy did my cut, lined me up and everything... he got access to clippers once a week

paid him two pieces of chicken

the next month i stomped him at handball, won a cut

that one didn't look so good (learned to let him win after that)

just saying, maybe you could mule some blow from peru and solve your hair issues at the same time

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: Today at 07:07:41 PM »

It's kind of hard to recommend a hairstyle without knowing what you look like. 

As for the pic you posted, I can't get past those DSL's to comment on his hair.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:11:35 PM »

This guy is my twin-- muscles and tats.   ::)  With my shaved head and beard growth, we do have similar shaped faces and head.  I just need to lift a few more days a week, and I'm there.

Let's see some pics teddy

Online zach

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:25:51 PM »
thats not ted?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline initforlife

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:33:59 PM »
Why do all the good looking guys have to be gay..hell if that's ted are you bi?  Lol
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:51:09 PM »

This is kind of the look I'm going for. I have one cowlick in front & a crown in the back. The shape of my head is long kind of an egghead shape. It wouldn't look right shaved due to the shape of my head. The shorter cuts look ok like I said first but as soon as it grows in, it's impossible to do anything with it. So I'm going for the shorter on back & sides, & trying for a bang in front because I hate my forehead, & give it a little texture like in the picture. Not sure it will work because my hair is so wiry & thin & wants to just lie to side, but I think if I work with it it may work. Dunno.

Adam Levine looks good but he has a more rounded head, mine is elongated.

Hold old are you Robby?  This boy is gorgeous but he's all of 18. That haircut would be, IMO, silly on any man over about 25 and even that is pushing it.  IMO of course.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.