POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2015, 02:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 659855
  • Total Topics: 50599
  • Online Today: 186
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 148
Total: 151

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A pre-operative education class.  (Read 560 times)

anniebc and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mitch777

A pre-operative education class.
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I finally have my neck surgery scheduled for April 21st. The person who scheduled it said that it was mandatory that I take this class.

Still need to do the usual ekg thing with my PC and will also see the neurosurgeon to get the details of the operation in another appointment.

Just wondered if anyone else here had to take such a class.
32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: A pre-operative education class.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
I've had major surgery five times in the past four years and I've never had to take a "pre-operative education class" but I suppose if I was instructed to do so I wouldn't particular question it.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
This is common for weight-loss surgery, haven't heard about it for other surgeries. It does go inline with the current trend of patient engagement, though. Patients who are engaged have better recoveries, the thinking goes, and this is best illustrated by the way they have patients visited by case management, social services, cardiac rehab nurses, whatever is appropriate. Medicare reimbursement is affected by readmission, so hospitals are doing whatever they can do to prevent readmission within X amount of time.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »
Hi Mark,...

Sounds as though it may be an informative class.  I have heard of people attending a pre op class prior to Hip and knee surgery,  so this really doesn't surprise me much.

I believe it's all for your benefit.   Good luck with the surgery !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

I plan on attending and wasn't questioning the value of the class but was just curious what it entailed. When I mentioned it to my psychiatrist yesterday she hadn't heard of such a class before.

Anyway, I'll find out on Monday. I am guessing that it will cover the basic do's and don'ts of preparing for surgery and post surgery and that it is required since this is pretty major operation on my delicate neck.  :)

Offline bubba53

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
Hi Mark,
I was scheduled to attend classes before both knee replacements.
Just one more thing to rattle ya !
They made the procedure sound a lot worse than it was, at least was the case for me. mostly about rehab , got to handle the new body parts which was kind of cool !
Wade

"Who put the pepper in the....Vaseline  ? " Coffee Butler

Offline Jeff G

• How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »
I had a friend who refused to go to that class and after the neck surgery he could look under the bed without bending over Ö so good luck with the class .

and donít believe a word I say but for good luck .

Offline bubba53

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
LOL...
Bet he could look up his ass and see daylight too !

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
I had a friend who refused to go to that class and after the neck surgery he could look under the bed without bending over Ö so good luck with the class .

and donít believe a word I say but for good luck .

That settles it. I'm not going! lol.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:14:50 PM »
So, I went the the class today and got an "A+" and a gold sticker star.

There were 11 of us taking the class. One worry wart and one older woman that kept interrupting because she just felt the need to talk. lol. Everyone was either having back or neck surgery by the same doc. The only question I asked was how many surgeries does he do in a day. Typically it's 4!!

They went through stuff to do pre-surgery and what to expect while in the hospital as well as post surgery.

The PT people were there too explaining their part in it all.

She gave us all a packet with these anti-bacterial cloths that we need to use the night before and the morning of. Then she said that they will be wiping us down twice more!! Ha! I won't bore you with the rest.

The good news is that we all will be getting private rooms! Yay!

Oh, and we all had to get sent for blood work and a nasal swab checking for the possibility of Mersa. I promptly left to beat the crowd and forgot my coat in the room. When I returned a note was left where I could find it. Dizzy me. ::)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:21:50 PM by mitch777 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 06:39:31 PM »
Glad it all went well.  So, are you ready for the surgery?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 08:11:54 PM »
Glad it all went well.  So, are you ready for the surgery?

As ready as I'm ever going to be. I will be nervous til the end. This ain't no toenail clipping but I will survive I think.

:)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:16:07 PM »
As ready as I'm ever going to be. I will be nervous til the end. This ain't no toenail clipping but I will survive I think.

:)

Mitch,

Congrats on the A+ from your class! You are a tough cookie!

I am sure you will be Voguing and Twerking in no time flat when done!

Take care,

OT

:) ;) :D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaŪto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:22:43 PM »
Thanks OT. lol.

Maybe I will give you all a laugh with a short video post-surgery of my twerking.

On second thought, no.

Online anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 08:36:05 PM »
Thanks OT. lol.

Maybe I will give you all a laugh with a short video post-surgery of my twerking.

On second thought, no.

Oh you are no fun..damn!  I had the popcorn and booze all ready. >:(

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:44:49 PM »
Oh you are no fun..damn!  I had the popcorn and booze all ready. >:(

Aroha
Jan :-*

:'(
consider yourself lucky!  ;D

Offline bubba53

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 09:08:07 PM »
How long they gonna keep you in the Big House ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 10:48:29 PM »
One worry wart and one older woman that kept interrupting because she just felt the need to talk.

Which one were you? Or were you both?
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.