POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 619749
  • Total Topics: 46685
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" AIDSmeds forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future AIDSmeds Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: My Story  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Mick

My Story
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
I'm a 27 year old male and I've always had a strange fascination with transsexuals, but never acted upon it. The other day, I decided to look on craigslist in the t4m section. I met with a TS that night and after a while she convinced me to receive anal sex. The first time was short, as it hurt and she didn't use any extra lube. The second time was a little longer, still no extra lube but I guess my ass was wet from the previous time. She didn't finish inside me (or at least she claims) and I did see her put the condom on, but being inexperienced and not thinking I didn't look at the condoms after the fact. I remember seeing one on the dresser that appeared in-tact.

Naturally, the next day I was freaking out as I'd never done anything like this before. I read about how anal sex without extra lube makes the condom a lot more prone to breaking. So I called her and she assured me the condoms didn't break and she always uses protection and she was just tested a month ago. Still, I don't know her so how can I trust anything she says?

Last night I read about PEP here and drove my ass to the hospital to get tested and inquire about it. Of course the HIV test came back negative, still waiting on the results of the other tests. I asked the doc about PEP and she prescribed me Combivir and Tenofovir, which I started taking about 45 hours after possible exposure. She also said I had some minor lacerations on my anus (which I guess is to be expected after your first anal experience) which would put me at greater risk. I'm seriously freaking out, thinking about the possibility that I may not be able to have children because of one stupid night. Not to mention my career will be over, since being HIV+ in my field of work is a no-no.

I assuage my fears a bit by reading that the odds of contracting HIV after just one encounter of even fully unprotected sex is pretty low and I mean I don't even know if she's HIV+, but ugh she is a sex-worker (I didn't pay for it, but she told me she is a "pro") so I feel like the odds are pretty high. I'm trying to get her to go get tested this week.

I don't even know what I'm trying to get out of posting this here. Venting, I guess. I know you guys can't just tell me everything is going to be alright. Plus with the PEP regimen now I have to wait even longer to find out, but I don't want to go test positive and then kick myself for not doing PEP. Ugh, I'm a mess.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: My Story
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
The most important fact in all of this story is that you saw the insertive partner put a condom on. It is not quite clear to me if the transperson was wearing a condom for both times. Assuming the answer to that is "yes," then you actually did not do anything risky.

But you have to be sure about the use of the condom both times. If it had failed you would have known it because when that happens it's very clear. THe condom ends up looking like a hoop with fringe on the other person's penis. It's not about itty bitty little holes the way some people fear.

If you are certain about condoms having been used then I don't see the need for PEP. But that's an importnat if and only you can answer that question.

Should you choose to continue with PEP then you have to said 13 weeks from the completion of the PEP cycle to get a final, conclusive negative result.

In the future pay more attention to what is happening when sex is happening. You can have intercourse in either role with anyone you choose. BUT the insertive partner must always be wearing a condom. No exceptions. 

Good luck when you test. If condoms were used both times then I would expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Mick

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
I saw her go put them on, but I only saw one after the fact. She may have thrown the first one out or put it on a different dresser. I've gone over everything I can remember from that night. I was really nervous and unsure of what I was even doing there and honestly for some reason the thought of HIV didn't even enter my mind. I wish I had the presence of mind to check the condoms after she pulled out both times, but hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

I'm such a wreck right now. What a horrible feeling this is.

Offline Mick

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
Just wanted to take a moment to thank the mods of this site for their amazing patience in dealing with this subforum. Reading some of the threads here, I don't know how you guys do it. Even in my case, I'm probably overreacting a bit since I have no real reason to think she would try to maliciously remove the condoms while I wasn't looking. There's just that little sliver of doubt that comes without knowing 100% for sure that I just can't shake from my mind.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
I agree that in all likelihood condoms were used both times. Contrary to what many "civilians" fear, sexworkers are often the most scrupulous about using condoms because they want to protect their own health.

Your fears are largely in the domain of "what ifs." Probably just to ease your mind getting tested at 13 weeks is a good idea. You can if you wish get tested at 6 weeks. A negative at that point will point VERY strongly to continuing to test negative. And yes, I do expect you to test negative if you decide to do that.   
Andy Velez

Offline Mick

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »
Thanks, Andy. Your words are very reassuring. I'm debating whether or not to stop PEP, if only because the need to wait an extra 28 days for a conclusive result may kill me. I feel like I'm overreacting, but I can't shake it. I don't know.

Offline Mick

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
Some hopefully good news for me. I spoke to the TS today and just came out with how scared I am and she assured me again that the condoms were on the entire time. I offered her money to go get tested with me tomorrow and she accepted. She thinks I'm crazy, but you can't put a price on peace of mind. Hopefully she comes back negative tomorrow. I know there's still a window in there that she could've been infected, but I'll worry that much less.

Offline Mick

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
She tested negative. Phew. What a load off. I know she could technically still be poz, but I'm a lot less worried now. She seemed genuinely offended that I didn't trust her and kept insisting that the condoms were on the entire time and she never has sex without them.

Gonna stop PEP and then get tested at 13 weeks just to be sure. Thanks Andy for your input on all this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »
You're welcome.

I expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Mick

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 05:06:17 AM »
I didn't think I'd be posting here again until I had test results to share, but my paranoia is getting the better of me so I have what is probably a stupid question to ask. Would a clinic ever give someone a fake negative test result if the person claimed fear of domestic violence or something? It was pretty clear that she was there to show me the results and I wonder how far HIV+ confidentiality goes in that regard. Would it be considered a forged instrument or no?

I really apologize if this is a stupid or offensive question.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 08:41:38 AM »
Mick,

No, clinics will not falsify hiv test results for any reason. They could lose their licence doing something like that.

Why would you think she would obtain falsified documents? Have you been threatening her with violence if she tests positive? I certainly hope that is not the case - but your question makes me wonder.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mick

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
No, of course not. I'm just stupidly paranoid.

Offline Mick

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Welp, I couldn't take the waiting anymore and went for a rapid test at exactly 5 weeks which came back negative. Despite everything working in my favor (she tested negative, it was a brief encounter, no semen, condoms were most likely on the entire time) I've still been a nervous wreck these past weeks. It didn't help that I developed epididymitis a week later and thought I had gonorrhea or chlamydia. Turned out it was non-bacterial and I did it in the gym (funny coincidence, huh?). I've had horrible body aches and peeling skin on my fingers that all started a week after the incident so I'm sure now that I've tested negative at this point it's all anxiety. I haven't had any swollen lymph nodes, no fever, no rashes.

Anyway, my question is considering all this, would you guys say I can effectively stop worrying now? I understand I still need the 3 month confirmatory test, but is that just a formality at this point? I've been reading a lot of what Dr. H at medhelp.org says and apparently healthy people almost always test poz after just a few weeks. I'm very healthy, almost never get sick, no allergies or anything like that. Also, does the fact that I was on PEP for 3 days affect my testing window at all?

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
From what you have reported you actually didn't have a risk. So all of this "stuff" is just a lot of drama.

If you can't get on with your life then maybe it's time to get some professional help. We can't address that problem here.

But I can tell you that we're not going to indulge you in more what ifs about this. If you continue to carry on about a non-risk situation you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

Andy Velez

Offline Mick

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:25:33 AM »
Andy, I don't think that's very fair. I don't know for a fact that the condom was on the entire time. I'm just taking her word for it. People do lie. Believe me, all I want to do is move on from this.

What bugs me is that when I asked her why she didn't use any lube her reply was, "Because that's what makes the condom break." Someone who's been having this kind of sex for as long as she's been doing it (professionally no less) should know to use water based lube. I've done it once and I know. She even told me that she never had a condom break on her. That has to be a lie, no? I mean I had a condom break once during vaginal sex with a girlfriend. Yeah she tested negative, so that would imply that she does practice safe sex. Either that or she's just been really lucky and possibly her luck ran out within that window period.

I freely admit that I am likely overreacting to this whole situation. Deep down I do agree with you, I think that I'm okay, it's just that nagging little doubt that maybe she's being dishonest about the condom, maybe she was infected within the window period. I've never been involved in a sexual situation where I wasn't the one in control, so it's messing with my head a bit. I'm not one of these people you get here who freaks out over getting HIV from a barber shop and posts incessantly about it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:20:31 AM by Mick »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
Mick,

It sounds like this is all about you not being in control. That's not an issue we're prepared to deal with here.

You can continue to test if that's what you need to do for your own peace of mind, but I do not expect your five week negative to change as I do not believe you were at risk.

And yes, you will be given a time out if you insist on going on and on about this matter.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mick

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 03:19:03 AM »
Ok, just humor me this one last time please.

What is it about my story that has you guys so convinced that I'm not at all at risk? Believe me, that you 2 think I'm being ridiculous puts me more at ease, so I'm not complaining about it. I'm just trying to understand it, because in my head it was a potentially risky encounter.

Is it the fact that the TS tested negative a few days later? That relieved me too initially, but then I started to wonder about the possibility that she was infected within the window period. She is part of a high risk group after all.

Or is it that she insists she wore a condom the entire time? Again, I only saw one used condom and there were 2 separate penetrative acts. Granted, I didn't go looking for them so she could've tossed the other in the trash or on a different dresser. I just find it hard to trust the word of a stranger when it comes to my health. Not to mention someone who may not be in a normal state of mind, all things considered.

I really don't mean to be a pain about this, but you guys are telling me I don't even need to get tested except for my own peace of mind. You really believe that there is absolutely no chance that I've been infected and I don't need any further testing?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12:46 AM »
Mick,

People use condoms to protect themselves. I seriously do not think she would have removed it. That is the only reason I do not think you were at risk.

However, as I said, if you continue to test, I fully expect you to continue to get negative results.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.