POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631885
  • Total Topics: 47840
  • Online Today: 293
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 234
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cool gramma and grampa stories. :3  (Read 866 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Cool gramma and grampa stories. :3
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:24:30 AM »
I like hanging out with old people. My grammy (my grandmother on my dad's side) tells the *best* stories about when she was a kid. It's not boring to me at ALL. I love to hear them. I spoke to her today, and I ask her for advice about EVERYTHING (she's the one that almost DIED recently - she's recovered almost completely and shes back in a nursing home). I asked her what she thought about the problems I had in school, and she told me how it was for her, and she told me how I need to do things for myself and nobody else. <3. She also told me a story about her dad (my great grandfather, who I never met). And I thought it was really cool so I wanted to share it and ask for other people to share stories their grandparents have told them about the *old days*. Haha.

She said when she was little, her and her sister moved into a new house with their dad and sisters and brother, and there was a room under the porch in the back that was full of old things from the people that had moved out, so their dad told her and her sister that if they cleaned it out really good they could get a horse.

So, they cleaned and cleaned and moved stuff and scrubbed stuff and brought him in and told him where they thought the horse should sleep, where the horse should eat, etc. They asked if they could go and get the horse then.

So, he left, and came back shortly with a picture of a horse, and hung it on the wall down there.

LMFAO.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Cool gramma and grampa stories. :3
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 03:27:41 AM »
Both my Grand fathers where in the army.

The first story is about my father's father, he was a sargent (I can't remember the regiment)..the parade ground at any army camp was always classed as sacred ground and only used when training or for ceremonial events..no-one was allowed to just walk across it or use it as a short cut.
One day my grandfather saw a recruit doing just that..and yelled at him to stop..and walking up to the young boy my grandfather said "there is only one man allowed to walk across this parade ground and get away with it and that's  God himself" and when the young man asked "why is that sir"my grandfather replied "because I can't F**cking see him"

The other story is about my mothers father, who had been in a fight at one of the local bars and had some wounds to his neck and was give given permission by the MO to wear and army camouflage scarf on roll call..but my grand father turned up with a very colorful scarf his mother had knitted for him..when the pace Sargent approached him he stuck his pace stick under my grand fathers chin and said " I've come to the conclusion that there is a c*** on the end of this stick, and my grand Father replied "I know sir and it's not this F**king end" he was promptly marched of to the guard house... :D

I wish I had got to know them better but they died when I was quite young.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:27:32 AM »
My grandmother (maternal) was a real character.   She was a 'party girl', kept her hair very RED at a time when that was not quite so accepted....  She LOVED any kind of a social club, and joined everything.   She was big in the VFW, Women of the Moose, the Rebeccas, and Eastern Star.    I have some great photos of her all decked out in her VFW formals.   She loved to play Bingo, and took us with her all the time.

She died when I was in Jr. High School.   I think about her a lot.

Be good to those grammas and grandpas!

Love & hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
My great grandma  lived in Sweden untill 1930ish when she moved to Munich...where she fell in love with a German general  a few years later (the story has been muddled over the years..thanks to the apathy of many of my family members) This was a scandal because she was Jewish and well, obviousely this was not kosher during these times. He knew she was jewish and they secretly courted untill she was arrested and sent to a transport camp. Because of the efforts of Count Folke Bernadotte, she and about 15,000 other scandinavians were transported, via the Red Cross, out of Germany.  He wrote to her untill he died in 1970. 
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »
hey Jaser,

I used to love my pop, bless his soul. He was truly a great man. His wife died in 1940 but he managed to work and bring up three young children on his own. My mum never left his house, so we all had the pleasure of growing up with pop. Sadly, he died when I was 11 or 12 so my memories of him are but a few treasured moments.

I remember vividly when we would hear the taxi or a mates car pull up out front of the house as pop returned from the local RSL (Returned Serviceman's League) club every second Thursday (pension day). Us kids would madly scramble and hide under chairs and boxes (it was grocery shopping day for us). He would sneak in through the creaky back door proclaiming "Fee figh fo fum, I smell the blood...". Us kids would be shaking in both fright and anticipation till he found us. He always had a bag of lollies on hand to give to us when he found us.

I also remember vividly one time when he didn't quite make it home. Mum was worried sick. We found him later that night asleep on the front lawn, having had one drink too many at the RSL and not being able to make it to the door.  ::)

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I used to buy my lunch from the school tuckshop. Placing an order required me to write my order neatly and in large writing with a black texta on a brown paper bag which was then collected at the beginning of the school day. My order was always "One Vegemite Role, 5 cents, and One Sunny Boy, 2 cents, (or a Glug if I was feeling adventurous) Please". Once I had written my order, I would take it to pop who would be sitting on his chair in the sunroom. He would check my order for spelling and neatness and then open his old black and worn leather purse with big silver clips. Slowly we would count out the 7 cents together, dropping each coin in the bag as we counted.

Treasured memories of a wonderful man. James Carroll (Jim to his mates). 1896 - 24 April 1978 (or 79). RIP.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:49:20 PM by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »
Jaser
    The only grandparents I have are both my mom's parents. My grandpa died this past April. He was a very colorful man throughout his life. When I was little, back in the early seventies, we lived in a small town in NY state, called Brewster. My grandpa opened a bar there, it was a topless go-go bar. A total redneck dive complete with drunken floozies, dancers, fighting drunks, and a jukebox that only ever seemed to play Takin' Care of Business, by BTO. When I was in the third grade, grandpa decided to sponsor a kids bowling team. We would show up every Saturday morning at the bowling alley for the league. We had these screaming purple shirts that were so bright Stevie Wonder could have seen them. The also had the name of his bar printed prominently across the back, as well as the silhouettes of naked women on them. It wasn't until a few years agothat I realized exactly why the parents of the other kids never let us mingle with them.
     When pop died, I went back for his funeral. 500 people showed up. Among them were two of his former dancers, one of whom actually remembered me. What  trip that was. Grandma, is of this writing alive and well, and not nearly as entertaining
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.