Subscribe to:
POZ magazine
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2015, 09:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

• Total Members: 26951
  • Latest: Nagol
  • Total Posts: 679789
  • Total Topics: 52910
  • Online Today: 207
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Sustiva/Atripla Thread  (Read 40372 times)

Offline Tonny2

Re: The Sustiva/Atripla Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

ojo     Has anybody gotten a rash while taking sustiva and what did you do to solve the rash?....thanks for the feedbacks...hugs                               ojo

Offline Hedorian

« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2015, 01:16:55 AM »
hallo there, just my experience:

started atripla yesterday: first night/day:

- No vivid dreams(dammit i was waiting for them somehow)
- little dizzyness after 1 hour taking it,than sleep.
-at wake up no problem,just feel slightly inappetent,but if its due to the pills or the stress of work im facing now i dont know.
-same for the sleeping,i wake up at 3:30 and had some problem fall asleep but again not sure if its the pills or the stress from job.

So..so far so good, in 2 weeks i have another liver/kidney tests and see on long term what happen.

Offline going_gone89

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »
Just started Stocrin last night, along with Truvada. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization were pretty obvious. Vivid dreams were not as bad as I expected, in fact I feel rested despite them.
Feeling anxious and shaky this morning, almost what it feels like a few hours after smoking pot? Funny considering one of the side effects I've read about is a false positive for pot in urine testing (which will make finding a job, im sure very enjoyable).

Besides that, I'm just happy I'm keeping my breakfast down. Which makes me curious, I know side effects vary greatly, but how soon after starting therapy do you experience those types of side effects? Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:15:45 PM by going_gone89 »

Offline mlgoforth

• Michael Miguel Goforth devotee of Adi Da Samraj
    • Google Profile Michael Miguel Goforth
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2015, 05:21:31 AM »
re; going_gone89
on: September 27, 2015, 01:10:04 PM

"Just started Stocrin last night, along with Truvada. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization were pretty obvious. Vivid dreams were not as bad as I expected, in fact I feel rested despite them."
    [[ If your body can adapt this should go in a month or so, if it doesn't choose another HIV Cocktail.  Be careful don't get used to the depersonalization and derealization, I did that and it took 5 years to realize the drug was making me more and more and more crazy.]]
    "Besides that, I'm just happy I'm keeping my breakfast down. Which makes me curious, I know side effects vary greatly, but how soon after starting therapy do you experience those types of side effects? Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc."
     [[For some it starts write away, some they never get those side effects. With Sustiva I had to take 1 1/2 dose Lopermide Hydrochloride (Imodium AD) every day to control diarrhea ]]
*Infected 1980, 35 years with HIV, Tested HIV+ 1987
*HIV Drugs 1998-2005 Viracept, 3TC, D4T
Changed to lessen metabolic syndrome (didn't work)
*2005-2010 Sustiva, 3TC, AZT
Changed to get normal sleep, brain function (working recovery taking years)
*2010-now Reyataz, Norvir, 3TC, AZT. I call it Reyavir(2) squared
*Virus undetectable 1998 on, CD4  1998=60(AIDS), 2015=500+
Side effects, 1998 on Metabolic Syndrome, 2003 on Extreme Fatigue gets worse @ year, 2005 on Neuropathy, 1998 on Buffalo Hump, 2014 on Wasting upper arms.
2013 Diabetic Ketoacidosis, well treated with Insulin.
Take Cannabis for Neuropathy, Lisnopril for blood pressure, Lipitor for Cholesterol, Testosterone (low for my age), Various supplements, Simple diet, no processed foods, lots of fermented food.

Offline Hedorian

« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2015, 02:36:58 AM »
UPDATE on my Atripla trip.

Blood test kidney/liver perfect after 2 weeks treatment.

Dizzyness after taking it greatly reduced.

Heavy head on waking up at morning almost disappear.

had a mild rash on body at day 12 for just 1 day,gone in 3 days without taking any medicine.

No nausea,diarrea,psyco effect or whatever seen.

Sleep deep and good . ( no sweat no wake up no dreams).

Taking the pills on really empty stomach (4 hours last meal) for me helped than only 2 hours from.last meal

so i can say im lucky one with little to noone side effect.

Now i will check for the long term one (mental foggy..memory issue)

keep you posted

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
As someone who has taken this medication since 2010, I can say that for someone initially starting treatment or with a low cd4 it can be a great medication the first couple years I was on it overall got me very healthy has kept my numbers great, cd4 has stayed in the 700s. But the side effects have gotten cumulatively worse. First couple years in, problems with sleep. Insomnia, problems falling asleep. Then, severe panic attacks, anxiety, jittery, all this happened about two years in. Not sure if it takes that long to change your chemistry or something but it didn't happen overnight. It's kept me healthy but at quite a price in other ways. I went through a bad spell where I was suicidal and having terrible dreams.

I feel that Atripla has aggravated my anxiety to the point of having to be put on a lot of other meds to control the anxiety and insomnia. I've been put on Mirtazipine, Melatonin, and even blood pressure meds because of heart palpitations.

I've held out because I wanted to research other options but now after a week-long bad bout of insomnia, I can't take it any more and have told my doc I want to ditch it for good.

I suspect the dosing time at night plays a role in how bad it messes my sleep up.

Hopefully my new regimen I can take early in the day and so I'll sleep better. Lack of sleep literally makes you angry and insane.

If you can tolerate Sustiva great but I strongly suspect I can't, and am going to try either Stribild or Isentress/Truvada or another combination. I'll post again with updates.

My hope is that if I get a regimen I can tolerate better, I won't need all these other meds I hate feeling over medicated.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2015, 12:41:53 AM »
Greetings! I have waited a long time to read this post as i was on a different treatment, but now that i am UD, and my CD4 is good, my ID Doc raised this as an option yesterday.
I currently take 9 pills a day - Truvada x1 and Alluvia 4x2. She suggested i move to Atripla.
I inquired about alternative once-a-day regiments because of the harsh side-affects of Atripla, e.g. Complera, Stribild, or Trivicay (which i read about in this forum) and she was not really aware of them - probably because they are not available in Thailand. However, for Complera, she was familiar and knew the make-up which she said was Truvada + Rilpivirine.
She told me that compared to Atripla, which, according to her is made of Truvada + STocrin, and that Stocrin is known to have harsh side affects, but that they usually go away after a few weeks. She mentioned that the  Rilpivirine is known to be much milder than the Stocrin. The issue is, that taking the Atripla would mean taking 1 pill, where taking the Rilpivirine+Truvada combo would mean taking 2 pills.
My motives for changing treatments are as follows in order of priority:
1. Long term affects - i figure the less pills i take the less damage i will do to my body. Maybe i am wrong here, but it only seems logical to me - the less pills, the less damage i do (i know this isn't very scientific). Also, since i have a long way ahead of me (i hope at least 30 years!) i want to take something that has the least amount of damage to my body. I know the Alluvia (aka Kaltera) is bad for the long run, and i am now reading that Atripla is also not the kindest kid on the block. Which is why i am really considering the 2 pill regiment.
2. Routine and timezone - i prefer a once a day regiment at night - it is easier to remember, it is a single reminder of my unfortunate burden, but mainly b/c of of logistics - i travel west a lot and that means i have to wake up very early just to take my dose - sometimes i wake at 4AM to take my morning dose of Alluvia when in Europe. A once-per-day regiment at night will allow me to take that dose in the eve in Europe - so it would be much more convenient.
3. Travel logistics - each time i travel i must take a zillion pills with me. This means i calculate and recalculate and count and recount before each trip. It is a burden and a source of anxiety ("did i bring the right amount?"). Then the crossing of the borders with so many pills, in some countries that are not very HIV tolerant (e.g. Singapore until a few months ago denied HIV+ people from entering the country) can lead to a many questions if they get discovered. Imagine a 5 day business trip - today it is 45 pills in a carry on as opposed to 5 (or 10)!! the 45 makes me look like a smuggler hahaha!
4. Concealment - my condition is a well kept secret between me and my wife and my Doc (and you guys!). It is a challenge to hide 3 months worth of bottles today especially with 3 kids in the house. I figure, 3 (or 6) bottles is much easier to hide and disguise.

So, as of now i have a choice:
1. Stay on the 9 pills -PROs? "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" My body has adjusted, it seems to be doing wonders (CD4 over 1000 and UD) and i am used to the routine.
CONs - As i have mentioned above - travel, toxicity, concealment etc
2. Switch to Atripla - PROs - once a day? WOW! 1 PILL once a day?! Double WOW!!
CONs - just read the posts in this thread!
3. Switch to Truvada+Rilpivirine (aka Complera in it's 1 pill form) - PROs - once a day, supposedly less adverse side affects than Atripla.
CONs - 2 pills instead of one.
There is also a cost issue. Funny enough, option 3 is the cheapest - slightly cheaper than option 2 which is significantly cheaper than my current regiment.

I will continue with my current regiment for another 3 months, but i want to start researching my next step.

Comments, insights and sage advice will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »
If you have ever had a history of mental illness, depression or anxiety then Atripla is not the drug for you. Many regimens that are not single pill regimens can be taken once daily after you are stable and undetectable for awhile so don't get hung up on one pill treatments. 

Online Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »
That is an excellent point , I have been thinking
the same thing for quite a while.
What's one more pill ??? and little ore no side affects.
"Who put the pepper in the....Vaseline  ? " Coffee Butler

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
Yea I don't even care if I have to take 2-3 pills a day at this point, I've realized in the two days I've been off Atripla how much better I feel without it! Not panicky, anxious, or depressed at all! I feel clear headed, and calm! :)

Unfortunately I'll have to start taking it again just until next week when my appointment is then they'll switch me off. But I'm so ready to be done with this nasty pill for good. Any other regimen that doesn't cause full scale meltdowns will be an improvement!

Online Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
Good to hear Robby !
"Who put the pepper in the....Vaseline  ? " Coffee Butler

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.