POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:03:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22213
  • Latest: glo9003
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620195
  • Total Topics: 46728
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: John Martin: Gilead's Disease hunter. interview  (Read 1441 times)

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
John Martin: Gilead's Disease hunter. interview
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »

Gilead's John Martin on future  of Cancer and HIV treatment

CNN Money

Q: Gilead has just signed a new agreement with Yale for cancer research. What's the objective -- and considering that several large firms are already working on cancer, what makes you believe it's a good investment?

A: Chemotherapy is becoming much more targeted. As we have a better understanding of the specific gene sequences involving cancer, it's possible to develop targeted therapies. To move into the field at a slow pace, just doing research internally, it would take years to catch up. So in the past year we've acquired three companies [CGI Pharmaceuticals for $120 million, Arresto Pharmaceuticals for $225 million, and Calistoga Pharmaceuticals for $375 million] that specialize in specific kinases [types of enzymes] that could be involved in cancer. I now have the collaboration with Yale University to help identify molecular targets that we can inhibit to put cancer into remission.

Do you mean inhibit something that happens genetically?

Yes, inhibit gene products -- that would be an enzyme or a chemical reaction in the cell that's involved with the cancer spread. If we can block that aberrant process in the cell, we can have a beneficial effect for the patient.

From Gilead's perspective, what's the large strategic thought behind the Yale partnership plus those acquisitions?

Just look at how, with HIV, we were able to come up with multiple products that we could use in combination to keep HIV basically in remission in a patient and let the patient live a normal life. With our chemistry and biological expertise, we envision doing a similar thing for cancer chemotherapy.

From a business perspective, it sounds like an effort to diversify the company, which now gets a very large part of its business from HIV treatments.

That's correct. The majority of our revenue comes from our HIV business, where we have very selective compounds that are safe to take, and we have large market share. To grow, it's important for us to work in other areas of unmet medical need.

You are also trying to continue dominating HIV treatment with a new four-in-one pill, which is known in the industry as "the quad." Why has your company invested so much time and energy in this?

HIV therapy involves the patient taking multiple drugs, and we recognized quite a few years ago that if we could combine them all into one pill, the patient would benefit. People fail HIV therapy if they don't take all their medications, so if they're all in one pill, you take all or nothing. That's very beneficial to the patient. We've seen it in terms of outcomes less resistance, less need for second-line regimens. The key is to come up with a future single-tablet regimen, and the quad will be one of those that contains a very important inhibitor a new class of molecules.

What you're saying is that you have focused on real-world patient behavior, not just the chemistry and biology of the medication.

Yes. Until Gilead developed the molecules that could be used once a day in combined form, medications had to be taken three or four times a day, with and without food, up to 35 pills a day, and it's very, very difficult for the patient. Our breakthrough was to come up with the first nucleotide for the treatment of HIV, called Viread, and then we developed a second drug and combined it with Viread for Truvada. Then, for the third drug to use in combination, we did a partnership with Bristol-Myers (BMY, Fortune 500) and Merck (MRK, Fortune 500). That product is called Atripla. It's been on the market since 2006, and it's the No. 1 regimen used in the U.S.

Full interview

http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/11/magazines/fortune/gilead_john_martin_leadership.fortune/?section=money_latest

december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot
Re: John Martin: Gilead's Disease hunter. interview
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
Interesting interview from a business standpoint. Thanks for posting.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
Re: John Martin: Gilead's Disease hunter. interview
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

Yes Rev
             When I look at the business of hiv , sometimes the numbers are mind boggling

In 2009 total global sales of ARV's was $ 28,000000,000 (billion)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/reportlinker-adds-global-antivirals-market-2010-2025-89512062.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 Gilead generated $7.95 billion in revenues and net earnings of $2.9 billion.

80%  of which came from ARV's -  $ 6.53 billion

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Gilead_Sciences_%28GILD%29

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have no problem with any company making a profit, afterall they have to survive in the market
  place.
  And the drugs they make keep me alive, so I'm greatfull for that.

But whats sad is someone like Dr. Sudhir Paul  is struggling to raise just $1m take his research forward.

Which if my maths is correct is just .04 % of total ARV sales in2009 
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.