POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642875
  • Total Topics: 48906
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ICAAC 2014  (Read 448 times)

Offline buginme2

ICAAC 2014
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
The news out of ICAAC this year is that, there is no news!  The conference was September 5-9 and I didn't hear anything this year.  That's a little disappointing as previous years have been full of new research and optimism.

There has been some discussion if the whole hiv "cure" research is worth it as so far it hasn't returned much value for the investment and the money spent on cure research could be used to develop better, less toxic, super duper meds. 

From the body "A bad year for HIV cure research? Experts mix realism and hope"

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/74961/a-bad-year-for-hiv-cure-research-experts-mix-reali.html

More interesting and exciting (to me at least) is that the new NRTI BMS-986001 did well in a phase 2 trial.  Seems to have the same efficacy as Tenofovir but with less toxicity ie bone and kidney issues.  Will be awhile before approved but hopefully we will be able to ditch the Tenofovir.  I'd switch just to stick it to Gilead since they have been sitting on TAF until the Tenofovir patent expires fully knowing the kidney and bone issues it's causing..that's a royal screw you to the aids peeps.

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/74948/new-hiv-drug-bms-986001-safe-and-effective-in-trea.html

And..it seems hep c is transmitted through sexual contact between men so keep it in your pants.

Offline Matts

Re: ICAAC 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
I thought that Festinavir is "dead".

"Licensing agreement between Oncolys and BMS has been terminated and the compound returned to Oncolys for continued development"
http://www.pipelinereport.org/2014/arv

"
Conclusions
At Week 24/48, higher doses of BMS-986001 demonstrated comparable efficacy to TDF when combined with EFV+3TC; however, a higher % of sbj developed resistance to study drug(s) in the BMS-986001 arms. BMS-986001 was generally well tolerated."
((6-14% resistances in the Festinavir  group (with different doses) vs. 1% in the TDF group))

I think that we will hear of BMS-986001 never again :) But maybe I'm wrong.

tivicay/kivexa

Offline freewillie99

Re: ICAAC 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
About the best, i.e. most positive, comment in the article:

"The second major approach is utilizing our knowledge of genomics and gene therapy to do one of two things: either to delete virus from infected cells, or to produce cells that are resistant to HIV infection that can then be reintroduced to individuals with chronic infection. Neither of these two approaches for cure strategies have yet achieved the kind of gains that we would like them to, but I think they have the potential for transforming what we now think of as functional cures of HIV infection."

- Constance Benson, M.D.

Dr. Benson is a professor of medicine and senior attending physician in the Division of Infectious Diseases at University of California-San Diego. This is an excerpt from her presentation at ICAAC 2014.

Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.