Main Forums > Living With HIV

The more I read about cd4 counts the less important it seems (i think)

(1/3) > >>

Maestro:
I might be completly wrong on this, but when I first starting caring for my Uncle and his cd4 count was at like 100 I was freaking out.  Then it came back to 140 and I was still freaking out.  His VL at the current time is like 600, but he says it is usually undetectable.

It seems to me that with attention to detail, almost any infection can be treated, it is just a matter of getting help soon enough.  I was previously under the impression that these OI's would get him and be resistant to antibiotics and such.  However, he has had like 3 infections and while they were slow to go away, they did all clear up.

I really am amazed at this.  When I first came to this website I thought it would be full of stories with people fighting all these idifferent infections.  Almost like a "Tuesdays With Morrie" for HIV.  I am learning, however, that this forum is full of being who are doing just fine!  Is this a representative sample of people living with HIV that have access to meds? 

Sometimes my questions may seem obvious, but this all helps.

Thanks,
M

bear60:
" Is this a representative sample of people living with HIV that have access to meds?  "...quote
Yes, I am sure it is. But you do understand that there is a strong sense of loss...loss of the life we knew or the good health we had etc. Living With HIV is not all a bed of roses. Many people have had to quit work because they are so fatigued they can no longer meet the day to day reqirements of a workplace. Do they look good...probably so....do they look "normal" probably so,......... do they enjoy food and movies and travel, probably so.

Maestro:
Bear,

Thanks for the quick reply.  That is exactly the kind of input I am looking for.  As I care for my uncle, I learn something new every day.  I do notice a lot of fatigue in him. I also notice a lot of confusion with him.  However, these seems to be 'normal' for him now.  While the HIV has no doubt lowered his quality of life, it does not seem to be lowering it any further.  When he first arrived here with us I was thinking, wow, he is messed up.  And each day seemed worse but it really was just me noticing new things he has been dealing with for years.

So basically, it appears he is at a "baseline" but not getting any worse.  I have tried as hard as I can to get him to want to go out, exercise, eat healthy, and generally take care of himself.  He refuses.  He appears to be under the impression that as long as he is taking his meds,  he has nothing to worry about.  In the beginning, I was thinking he was nuts for having this outlook.  But like I said, the more I read on here the less nuts he seems. 

M

Matty the Damned:
M,

A malfunctioning immune system is more than just an issue of not being able to defend oneself against infection. There are the multitude of cancers we're prone to. Not to mention the auto-immune disorders.

MtD

Maestro:

--- Quote from: matty.the.damned on September 11, 2006, 10:28:14 AM ---M,

A malfunctioning immune system is more than just an issue of not being able to defend oneself against infection. There are the multitude of cancers we're prone to. Not to mention the auto-immune disorders.

MtD

--- End quote ---

Matty,

Thanks for the response.  I get this, but when I took him to his infectious disease doctor, the dr. said Hey, he can live to be 90 on these meds. I almost wished he hadn't said that for my Uncles sake.  I wish he would have said the meds + exercise + healthy diet will help you live to be 90 (unless of course a bus gets you crossing the street).  So it seemed to me that the cancers and other problems are held in check by the meds? At least in some people?

Thanks
M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version