POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 07:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639879
  • Total Topics: 48581
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: risk accesment please  (Read 3028 times)

Offline karl42

risk accesment please
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »
Hello,i have read many post on here.Well any how this whhat happened to me.
  I never engage in anal sex.I only give oral if other party has a condom on.If someone wants to do oral on me i do not wear one.
  I was at a adult bookstore in the private viewing rooms.I get motioned through the small hole in the wall from the next booth so I put my penis in to get oral sex from a strager.What i did not realize until i pulled out of the hole was that he had not given me head but had inserted me into his rectum and so we had anal sex.I was the insertive and he the recepter.
  I know i should not have been in there but i do feel betrayed by person on the other side.I would have not engaged if i knew it to be anal and not oral.
  I would assume someone who lets anyone do anal would be likly to be hiv positive and could have had seamen form others  before i even showed up at adult bookstore.
  I have read here that insertive is less risky but still a risk but what about the possibility of others peoples seamen in his rectum?The act lasted about 4 minutes.I was masturbationg before act and may have rubbed some skin on my penis a little red from friction.My understanding is the viris enters the mucos membrane at end of the pens.thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: risk accesment please
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
Karl, don't make this more complicated than it has to be. Yes, you've had a risk. The risk is significantly less for the insertive partner, but yes, there is risk. You had a single possible exposure. HIV is a fragile virus and not easy to transmit. All of those factors are in your favor against transmission having occured.

What you need to do is to get tested at 13 weeks. A negative at that point is conclusive.

Getting oral sex is not a risk for HIV, even without a condom.

Other stds are much easier to acquire than HIV. With that in mind we recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to at least annually have a full STD panel done. And every six months is even better depending on how active you are.

So you have some waiting time until you can get a conclusive result. Good luck with your test and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline karl42

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Well let me ask this.It will have been 48 hrs since exposure at 6;00 pm central time in the states.
I contacted the ft worth center for diesease control and they could not refer me to any for pep.I called a few doctors listed for treating hiv and it seems if you do not already have a doctor you are sol.
 The center for diesease control did day i could try john petersmith hospitals emergency room.However the person i spoke to did not know if they do pep.Also said even if they do the doctor may not prescribe it.

On the other hand i heard it is expensive but i cannot find anywhere on the web what pep cost not even a ball park figure.Can someone tell me if the prescription is around 500dollars or 1000 dollars or 1500 dollars.
I have something i can sell to cover the prescription. if the hospital would give me a 3 day starter pack i have read about.thank ou

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
Karl,

PEP is not recommended for the insertive partner when the receptive partner's status is unknown. This is because it is unusual for the insertive partner to end up positive following a one-time incident. Even when the receptive partner's status is known to be poz, PEP isn't prescribed all that often following one brief incident.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline karl42

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:26:37 PM »
You dont think my risk was greatly increased with the possibilty several others may have ejaculated inside him before me? thus exposing me to the possibilty of hiv positive seamen inside along with his  own fluids?

:-\       

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
You dont think my risk was greatly increased with the possibilty several others may have ejaculated inside him before me? thus exposing me to the possibilty of hiv positive seamen inside along with his  own fluids?

:-\       

Not really. If anything you're far more likely to have contracted one of the other more prevalent and infectious STDs.

I agree with Andy and Ann. PEP is certainly not warranted in your case. In fact it's undesireable as it extends the 13 week window period.

Get tested.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:34:02 PM »
Karl,

In a word, NO.

As you've been told, you had a risk but not a very high risk. It would be extremely unusual for you to end up positive over this one-time incident, even if his ass was full of cum.

The earliest you should test is at six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six week with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Test at the appropriate time. Get yourself productively busy with other things while you wait to test and the time will go much quicker than you might expect.

I expect you to test negative over this one-time incident - but you do need to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline karl42

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
I want to ask one more thing and then i will go until testing time.
 I did in fact rub my self a little raw on one side of my penis while masterbating just before i
did insertive anal sex.
The reason i mention it is it is a little tender today and i have read on some sites that the circumsized area of the penis can be vulnerable which is where i rubbed myself to the point of being red and tender.So my last question for now is this rubbed spot come into play? I just dont want to look back 3 months from now and wish i would have went to the er and tried for pep.
 Not trying to keep on bugging you nice folks as i appreciate the support you ave shown me and others who have come here.I noticed how many posts some of you have posted and i know you must spend alot of your own personal time here helping people. :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 11:49:28 PM »
You have already had three opinions which have said PEP is not warranted.

Finally you will have to make the decision about this. Your adding the further details about irritation on your penis doesn't change anything. That would not be how HIV would enter your body.

Just remember if you do PEP you cannot get a conclusive result until 13 weeks after the completion of PEP. You can initially test at 6 weeks after completing PEP.

Now you have to decide. We say it is not necessary but it's your life so you need to make your own decision.
Andy Velez

Offline karl42

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
I am freaking out a little.while waiting for time to pass i have gotton a sore throat and what i believe to be thrush, white greyish stuff all over the top of my toungue.I was able to brush most of it off with toothbrush and mouthwash.thrush is listed as a ars.
 I was doing fine and passing time but this is driving me crazy.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:36:35 AM »
Karl,

If what is going on with your tongue is thrush, it would have hurt like mad to brush it off. Thrush is painful.

Now go get busy with something that has nothing to do with hiv while you wait to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline karl42

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
no it was not thrush.
 My exposure was april 7th  so i could do a six week test at may 19th correct.I have had a sore throat for three weeks now,if i still have it at may 19th should i put the test off until it goes away?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 04:47:35 AM »
Karl,

Yes you can test on May 19th and no, it won't matter if you have a sore throat or not.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline karl42

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
on may 18th I purchased and took the home access express hiv test.
On may 19 th i found i swollen gland in my neck,tender to touch,I am hoping this could be swollen due to a decayed tooth.
The swollen gland is on same side as the decaying tooth,the nerve in the tooth is dead but tooth is decaying.

This has me afriad to check my  test which according to instructions should have been available since friday.

no questions.just trying to build up the nerve to call.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »
Karl,

Grow a pair and check your results. You are highly unlikely to end up poz over this brief insertive encounter.

Go see your dentist about your rotten tooth. It's extremely likely that your swollen gland is due to the state of your tooth and the swollen gland will indicate that it's infected. As your nerve is gone, you may not feel pain from the infection. You need to get this sorted out - this type of infection can be very dangerous and cause heart damage and no, I'm not kidding.

Stop worrying about something you most likely do not have and get what you DO have - an infected tooth - sorted out before it causes you big problems.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline karl42

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
well i grew a pair.The test was negitive. ;D I know i am not completely out of the woods yet so i dont want to get too exited.

When you call home access the recording tells you it may not pick up antibodies for the last six months.(something to that effect)

Six month is a long time.

I did test one day early of 6 weeks.(problem with that ?)
Will retest at 13 unless you think i should do it earlier?
thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Given all of the details of your situation and with your negative at 6 weeks, (yes, I know,minus one day), I certainly expect you to test negative again at 13 weeks.

Meantime get busy with other things in your life so that the time will pass more easily than you may imagine is possible.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.