HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Oral Episode and Very Worried

(1/6) > >>

very_scared:
I recently performed oral sex on an unknown man and never learned his status.  I have healthy gums and don't recall any damage inside of my mouth.  After the event, I believe I began to feel ARS symptoms.  Can anyone clarify if my case is common with people who do get ARS? 

August 21st Episode

August 24/25 Sore Throat
August 26 Lost Voice
August 27 Got A Little Voice Back
August 28 (1 Week After) Loss of Appetite Sore Throat Dry Cough Voice Returned
August 29 Diarrhea Once No appetite Sore Throat Dry Cough
August 30 No Appetite Sore Throat Dry Cough
August 31 No Appetite Sore Throat Dry Cough
Sept. 1 Regain Appetite Sore Throat Dry Cough
Sept. 2 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 3 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 4 (2 Weeks After) Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 5 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 6 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 7 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 8 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 9 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 10 Sore Throat (Off and On) Dry Cough
Sept. 11 (3 Weeks After) Little Dry Cough

I don't believe I ever had a rash, however, my skin has been dry lately.  I have never had a fever and have checked it daily.  I don't think I ever experienced fatigue or night sweats.  I had a confirmed no swollen lypmh nodes by a doctor on Sept. 1st.  I am currently out of the country and am very nervous about getting tested as I am not in a country where it is easily accessible.  I don't even know if I should get tested?  I cannot stop thinking about the big what-if (HIV infection) and some perspective might help.  Thanks for everything, this website is a godsend.

Ann:
very,

Studies have shown that becoming infected with hiv through giving a blowjob is exceedingly rare. If you want to know more about that, please read the Welcome Thread and follow the Transmission Lesson link found there.

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only the appropriate test at the appropriate time will reliably inform you of your hiv status. Nothing you report is in any way hiv specific.

You need to know that while it would be highly unusual for you to become infected with hiv through a blowjob, it is quite possible that you have picked up gonorrhea or chlamydia in your throat and it may be that causing your sore throat and dry cough.

While you don't even need to test for hiv over your specific incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. It you give blowjobs, you also need to have your throat swabbed so they can check for things like gonorrhea.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

See a doctor about your throat problems. You only need to test for hiv if it is a part of a routine sexual health care check up. Why? because it's the responsible thing to do. I fully expect you to test hiv negative if giving a blowjob is the only thing you've done and have never had unprotected intercourse.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

very_scared:
I am in need of perspective.  I am so scared right now I think everything in my life is on hold.  I have read that the existence of symtpoms or lack of do not mean a thing when it comes to diagnosing HIV.  However, I feel that I have contracted the virus.  After all of what was mentioned above, on the 3 week and 1 day mark I noticed red bumps on my back.  They do not itch and there is a lot of them.  They are raised.  The skin is not red, but the bumps are and there are many of them.  I also believe the lymph nodes in my neck are swollen.  I have not been touching them, but my neck has been sore for the past 2 days on both sides and it feels like I have a lump in my throat.  I also have a sore throat.  I have not had a fever.  It is all happening in the right time period.  Is this ARS? 

My episode is considered low risk, some even consider it no risk.  I performed oral sex without taking a cum shot, it was only oral sex, nothing else.  I don't know if there was any pre-cum, but I am sure there must have been (every guy gets it right?).  It was only oral sex, and only for 5 minutes.  I know the odds are in my favor, I guess I just need some perspective....I am so scared, all alone and worried with no one to talk to.  It is hard for me to think that all this is just coincidence...what could cause the all the bumps/rash on my back?  Help...somebody.  Am I the rare 1 in 10,000?  This is too much.

RapidRod:
Seek out your worries from your doctor.

very_scared:
I am sorry for the all the emotion.  I guess I am just nervous.  Does the symptoms mention sound at all like ARS?  Any perspective anyone could provide about testing/not testing.  Worrying or not?  Thanks Ann I do appreciate what you said.  This is just new to me, and a little scary.  I am not at a place where it is easy to get tested, so I am looking for advice from knowledgeable people.  Thanks for any help that can be given.  This really is the best website.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version