POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 09:00:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649863
  • Total Topics: 49600
  • Online Today: 187
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Orawell home test  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Waiting2cit12

Orawell home test
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all you do here.  Well to start off I had unprotective anal sex back in Nov.  Literally 5 days after this incident I had oral thrush & median rhomboid glossilitis (confirmed by a doctor), extremely painful, couldnt eat etc.  At the same time I had slight fatigue and some chills but figured it was related to a long flight, time change etc.  So the doc told me I should be tested for HIV with my symptoms, possible exposure etc.  I went to the clinic here and took oral saliva test which came back negative.  This was roughly 16 days after exposure so probably too soon to be accurate.  Well it's now March and I decided to take the Orawell Home Saliva Test.  I followed the instruction and the result was negative.  The Median Rhomboid is still going on and I read that this Orawell test is not FDA approved? 
I decided to purchase the FDA approved test and am waiting for it to come in the mail.

My questions are
1.)  Is Orawell at all accurate or a scam?  I can't find any info on it.
2.)  Is it likely that ARS symptoms (thrush, chills, etc) would appear 5 days after exposure?  In likely I mean has anyone ever heard of it coming on that quick?

I will let you know how I make out with the new test but I am assuming it will be positive based on my risk, possible symptoms and the fact that Median Rhomboid is still on my tongue.

thanks for all your help and much love to everyone!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Orawell home test
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
1. Your symptoms have nothing to with ARS they came on to quick. Ars symptoms come 2-4 weeks post exposure and last 1-2 weeks.

2. You tested to early. To obtain a conclusive test result you will need to retest 3 months post exposure.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:54:55 PM by RapidRod »

Offline Waiting2cit12

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Thanks, thats the way it seems but I am not sure why I would have gotten the thrush (ie no antibiotics or anything like that)

Do you know anything about the Orawell test?  Is this reliable? 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
Thrush is not HIV specific and a number of things can bring on thrush. As for your test, it is not FDA approved and it also stated it is not for home use. Other than that I can't help you with that test.

Offline Waiting2cit12

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
thanks to reply.  I will let you know the outcome of the "real test."  whatever it may be it may be...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »
Waiting,

The unapproved rapid home tests are prone to false positive results. Yours was negative - but you also tested too early.

The ONLY approved home test is the Home Access test.

As Rodney has told you, your symptoms came on much too quickly to have anything to do with hiv. Thrush can be caused by any number of things, not just antibiotic use or hiv.

Were you the insertive or receptive partner in the unprotected anal? If you were insertive, you're not likely to end up with hiv over this one-time encounter.

You need to learn from this and start using condoms, correctly and consistently, whether you're top or bottom.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Waiting2cit12

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:52 PM »
I didn't test too early.  Initial test was a week after the thrush, probably too soon about 16 days-negative.  The other unapproved test was 3 months post exposure-negative but unreliable.

I was the receptive partner, ejaculation was outside and I have definitely learned my lesson regardless of what my status will be. 

I am not sure why I developed the thrush, I have read that ARS can come on quicker for some over others?  I should have results of the western blot this week and I will let you know, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.   

Offline Waiting2cit12

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »
Well it was November possible exposure now end of March.  Did the home access test and called today.... I AM NEGATIVE! 

To all those worried about symptoms etc, risk is the only thing you should worry about!  I will find out what is really causing my thrush and practice safe sex from here on out!

Thank you Ann, Rod and all the others on here.  I appreciate your answers to my questions.  To those of you positive this has helped me have a better understanding, appreciation and love for all of you..  I will work hard to end the stigma and donate to the cause. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:54 PM »
Great! That's a happy result.

On your way now and remember, always use a condom for intercourse, vaginal and anal and you will be well protected.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.