POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 07:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632202
  • Total Topics: 47872
  • Online Today: 227
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 142
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Flu Sucks  (Read 2112 times)

Offline NycJoe

The Flu Sucks
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
I have not had the flu in YEARS.  Man it has hit me like a mack truck.  I forgot how bad it can make you feel.  It's a fucking bitch. (Sorry that's the fever talking).  My Dr believes one should let a fever ride out without any meds (Tylenol etc) until it reaches somewhere over 102.  Anyone else do this?  Let the fever do its work?  I broke down and took Tylenol once it reached 102.2 and damn did it make me feel better.  In the meantime lots of water and soup I guess.  Went down to 99.6 hours ago but now back up to 100.8.  Trying to hold off on meds again but I might wimp out.

Joe

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: The Flu Sucks
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
I would have taken the Tylenol also.... prolly when the fever reached 100. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »
I know many think we need to treat a fever right away.  But, many experts and moms say the fever is the body's response, so let it do what it needs to do.  Obviously, there is a point where it could become dangerous.

I'm wondering if you had your flu vaccination?  My brother is in Atlanta right now at a Chiropractor conference or something and he is very sick--probably the flu.  He refuses to get vaccinated every year--thinking our bodies need to get sick in order to build our immune systems.  (He's HIV neg as far as I know.)  Well, it doesn't work for him.  He has at least 2-3 bad cases of illness each winter.  He got H1N1 last time.  I've been seeing news reports that researchers think H1N1 may have mutated, which happens, and the vaccine isn't as protective now from when we got the vaccine in the Fall.

Feel better soon. 

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Hey yeah I get the flu shot every year.  I guess I got a strain not covered in the shot.  Working in health care, I am a huge proponent of  the flu shot, pneumonia shot..you name it.  First time I have had the flu in probably 10 years.  Pre HIV.  Thanks for your well wishes.  Apparently the flu is really going around right now.

Offline Regretsafew

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
You are right...

Its no fun!  I hope you feel better soon. 

I alternate tylenol with advil for fevers.  Seems to work better for me. 

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
Regret..I heard the same thing about alternating.  I might start doing that.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »
I always get a flu shot . I am just getting over something here , it was a sinus , chest with a fever thing and every one I know around here has had it or is coming down with it .

Hope you feel better soon .

Offline WillyWump

• 1DPxR156NnouErf4f51CsCMubMYw84j5Kv
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
I had a bout with the Fever a little over a week ago coupled with a chest thingie and a cough. My fever spiked to 103 the first night then over 2 days went back to normal. I actually did take Tylenol the first night sure made me feel better.

Actually I was going to go the the Doc on the last day but Nurse Philly suggested the fever would go away within 24 hours which it did.

Good luck, I feel for you.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

Actually I was going to go the the Doc on the last day but Nurse Philly suggested the fever would go away within 24 hours which it did.

Just don't spill the beans on the webcam session I did wearing my rubbger nurse outfit.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:23 PM »
Just don't spill the beans on the webcam session I did wearing my rubbger nurse outfit.

Is this some kind of new material that's all the rage at the moment.. :D

Aroha
Jan :-*

P.S I hope Will saved a copy of that.. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline fuziwuzi

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »
My doctor has always suggested I let a fever less than 102 run its course if I can tolerate it.  Since I have a very high tolerance for discomfort and loath taking yet another pill, I rarely do anything about it unless it is consistently above 102.  So far, this winter season I've avoided the flu or flu-like illnesses.  I was not so lucky last year, had it twice even though I got vaccinated.  Many of my friends, however, have not been so lucky this year, and they are all HIV-.
Never make someone else your whole world when to them you are just an option.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.