POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23030
  • Latest: milodog
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631802
  • Total Topics: 47832
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mardi Gras!  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Mardi Gras!
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:04:45 AM »
So for those of you in the U.S. who aren't fortunate enough to live in near proximity to the gulf coast and more specifically New Orleans you may or may not be aware that carnival season is in full effect with less than a week to go until Fat Tuesday arrives!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival

I am a native Louisianian so I sometimes forget that so much of our culture is so very specific to the state, but this is probably one of the biggest communal parties to attend.  Aside from all of the debauchery going on on Bourbon Street the parades and the krewes are all a lot of fun to attend and watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krewe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krewe_of_Muses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krewe_of_bacchus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krewe_of_Endymion

In addition to all of the partying going on we eat a particular type of dessert:  The King Cake!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Cake

Anyway it's all happening here now and I wish you all could be here to enjoy the festivities.  Hello and best wishes from the Big Easy!

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: Mardi Gras!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:40:50 AM »
Thats right.  The King Cake!!  It makes a great coffee cake only you may have to spit that plastic baby out if you bite into the piece with it inside.  One of my friends up in DC once made a king cake back in the 1980s with a small plastic penis inside.  It was the hit of the party!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:43:25 AM »
Thats right.  The King Cake!!  It makes a great coffee cake only you may have to spit that plastic baby out if you bite into the piece with it inside.  One of my friends up in DC once made a king cake back in the 1980s with a small plastic penis inside.  It was the hit of the party!

The tradition being that whoever gets the baby buys the next king cake.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
I am doing Carnival in Cologne this year. Having a lot of fun.  Germans are so much friendlier than the Swiss.
I'd like to go to carnival in a lazy tropical place sometime.  Any islands known for a good carnival?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
Interesting reading. I had never heard of krewe or King Cake.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
I'd like to go to carnival in a lazy tropical place sometime.  Any islands known for a good carnival?

I have heard that Trinidad is the place to go for carnival.  Its tropical, lazy, and friendly. 

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
Happy carnival Trey and all our other friends.  I went to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras in 1993, I saw most of the Endymion and Bacchus parades and some of the Rex parade I think it was.  I had lots of beads and it was a fun experience.  I hear Trinidad and Rio are fun too but crowds of any kind are less enticing for me now.  But maybe once more in this life I will do carnival.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.