Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

ADAP Watch List Updates - March 2011

<< < (2/2)

leatherman:

--- Quote from: cardsfan69 on March 23, 2011, 01:34:49 AM ---I live in Florida and luckily I'm still getting my meds thru ADAP so that 10000 number Ur reporting isnt exactly true not everyone is getting an emergency supply (like my partner) from Wellvista there are many of us still getting our hiv meds thru ADAP. Not sure how they determined which people they switched over to Wellvista and which ones they kept on ADAP. I asked the pharmacist the other day when i went to pick up my meds and she said she had no clue how they determined it.

--- End quote ---
I'm only going by Florida's ADAP own reports of being broke with a $14.5 million shortage and not having the funding to cover medications for approx. 6500 people. Of course, by not officially announcing the exact number of those being covered by Welvista, Florida is able to hide this horrendous problem. Whether Florida is not covering 6500 HIV positive people or 100 HIV positive people, it's a terrible problem that is not being recognized properly in the ADAP watch list

Of course, the official ADAP Watch List is always current and available at http://nastad.org

WillyWump:
Saw a notice in the docs office today that Texas ADAP will most likely be implementing CCS's  in September. You will not be able to receive assistance if your CD4's are above 500, it did say that this will only apply to new applicants and no current participants will be kicked off (well at least not yet, lol).

Although interestingly enough I cannot find this info on the Texas DHS website. I will post a link when I find it.

-Will

leatherman:

--- Quote from: WillyWump on March 29, 2011, 07:49:56 PM ---You will not be able to receive assistance if your CD4's are above 500, it did say that this will only apply to new applicants and no current participants will be kicked off (well at least not yet, lol).
--- End quote ---
Thanks for this information. ;)

Hopefully very few people will be affected as ARVs are not usually prescribed until after someone has a cd4 of 500 or below. (it's when they drop people who are on HAART and ADAP that have regained 500 and above cd4s that there will really be a problem!)

leatherman:
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(7,372 individuals in 11 states*, as of March 24, 2011)
(changes from Mar 17 noted in parens (+181))

Arkansas: 31 individuals (-15)
Florida: 3,848 individuals (+188)
[Flordia could have been reporting 10,348!]
Georgia: 1,221 individuals (+28)
Idaho: 11 individuals (+2)
Louisiana: 816 individuals** (+20)
Montana: 21 individuals (+1)
North Carolina: 177 individuals (+14)
Ohio: 303 individuals (+94)
South Carolina: 560 individuals (+16)
Virginia: 563 individuals (+22)
Wyoming: 2 individuals (-1)

ADAP Mar 24th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

Recently my ASO allowed me to sponsor a special 2 hour long advocacy meeting. We had a guest speaker from Tell Them! (an organization that helps put people into contact with their legislators to discuss sexual health care matters), after which we wrote letters to the legislators about the ADAP crisis as part of my monthly letter-writing campaign, followed up by some immediate advocacy of attending a Client Advisory Board meeting as new members.

As a result of that meeting, I took several new client/advocates to a special advocacy training class that was sponsored by the SC HIV/AIDS Care Crisis Task Force. Our special guests were in from AIDS Healthcare Foundation (based in California) who spoke to us on the importance and the impact of advocacy before giving us a lesson in how to speak to our legislators to best get our message across. (Thanks for a great meeting, Joe!!) After a luncheon, we caravaned over to the State House and put into the action the training we had received by actively engaging our legislators and speaking about ADAP funding and the budget proposal for Medicaid to only pay for generic HIV meds (S 434).

Since I have often tempted my fellow clients/volunteers/advocates into coming to rallies with my lemon bars and cookies, I figured baking was a good way to get to my legislators also. I made up containers of "Positive Cookies" (Chinese Almond Cookies with cherry-icing Awareness Ribbons and lemon-icing Smilies) and a note asking them while they enjoyed the cookies to consider fully funding ADAP as they debate the FY2012 budget. ;)

Tomorrow, I'm heading back on the hour-and-a-half drive to the state capital with another group of client/advocates to another special advocacy training class and luncheon (sponsored by Tell Them! this time), after which we'll go to the State House to speak with our legislators about fully funding ADAP and removing the proposal (H 3408) that would allow health care officials to base their care (or refusal to care!) on their own moral or religious beliefs.

Hopefully, we can get our legislators to agree to fund SC ADAP by $10 million to cover the current clients and projected clients in FY2011. If they don't spend that much, and people go without meds, get sick and are hospitalized, or perhaps even die, the taxpayers of SC could be on the hook to cover up to over $48 million of health care costs (according to data from the SC SHARP report).

hope_for_a_cure:

--- Quote from: leatherman on March 29, 2011, 09:27:40 PM ---Tomorrow, I'm heading back on the hour-and-a-half drive to the state capital with another group of client/advocates to another special advocacy training class and luncheon (sponsored by Tell Them! this time), after which we'll go to the State House to speak with our legislators about fully funding ADAP and removing the proposal (H 3408) that would allow health care officials to base their care (or refusal to care!) on their own moral or religious beliefs.

Hopefully, we can get our legislators to agree to fund SC ADAP by $10 million to cover the current clients and projected clients in FY2011. If they don't spend that much, and people go without meds, get sick and are hospitalized, or perhaps even die, the taxpayers of SC could be on the hook to cover up to over $48 million of health care costs (according to data from the SC SHARP report).

--- End quote ---

This is a huge undertaking Mikie and I know your group will have an impact.  Just getting in the door is one thing, but your ability to convey this information in a professional way (backed up with facts) is what gets through to the 'powers that be' in Columbia.  Thank you for all that you are doing! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version