Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

ADAP Update 2/4/11 and the crisis in FL

(1/3) > >>

leatherman:
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(6,001 individuals in 10 states*, as of February 3, 2011)
(changes from Jan 20 noted in parens (+451))

Arkansas: 27 individuals (+4)
Florida: 3,085 individuals (+206)
Georgia: 920 individuals (+47)
Louisiana: 645 individuals** (+42)
Montana: 19 individuals (0)
North Carolina: 114 individuals (+9)
Ohio: 390 individuals (+55)
South Carolina: 386 individuals (+42)
Virginia: 412 individuals (+152)
Wyoming: 3 individuals (+2)

ADAP Feb 4th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

In case you didn't catch this in the last Jan ADAP Waiting List update, please read the article Tim Horn has written about the crisis in Florida where roughly 6,500 ADAP clients in Florida are about to be temporarily cut off from ADAP
"Fiasco in Florida"
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HIV_ADAP_Florida_2042_19820.shtml

Sometime in early Feb, when Florida shuts down it's ADAP program, although many people will still have access to meds through other temporary means, that will effectively double the amount of people on the waiting lists. Sadly, that means that over 12,000 Americans will be relying on temporary means to obtain their currently prescribed HIV medications. If any of these stop-gap measures should fail, with that many people in jeopardy, the chances of seeing Americans dying from AIDS because they are unable to obtain medications will increase substantially.

richie:
The issue is being made very public -- now being picked up by PBS today.....

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/02/funding-shortage-threatans-aids-drug-programs.html

This really does make my blood boil (maybe that's a cure? ;-)  ) as the US gives billions to fund overseas HIV programs, but can't afford a few piddly million for we measly US citizens?  Pathetic. 

Best,

--rich

leatherman:

--- Quote from: richie on February 08, 2011, 01:24:41 PM ---as the US gives billions to fund overseas HIV programs, but can't afford a few piddly million for we measly US citizens?  Pathetic. 
--- End quote ---
of course, I need to point out that this is not just a problem of the federal govenrment funding at static levels for several years while the count of the infected needing ADAP rises; but it's a state misappropriation problem too. For example, SC tried to defund ADAP completely in this years budget and finally only financed it for a minimal amount - yet the legislators voted to pay millions to support the Miss SC beauty pageant and had $10 mill lying around that they could loan to bankroll a golf tournament.

Bad priorities, federal funding that is falling behind, drastically reduced state support and rising infections rates account for this perfect storm of problems

--- Quote ---Kibler says he began selling some of his possessions on eBay so he could afford medications. He stockpiled his drugs and reduced his dosages, uncertain that he would be covered for the next month.
--- End quote ---
it always concerns me reading statements like that. What meds did he reduce? A sub-optimal amount of ARVs is actually worse than just not taking any meds as resistance can develop limiting the choices of meds in the future.

--- Quote from: richie on February 08, 2011, 01:24:41 PM ---This really does make my blood boil (maybe that's a cure? ;-)  )
--- End quote ---
LOL  ;D

Miss Philicia:
What was that about no money for ADAP?

metekrop:
The Crisis is not only in Florida.  It is also in Virginia.  I have to make an arrangement to leave this state quickly.  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version