POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 07:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620061
  • Total Topics: 46716
  • Online Today: 282
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Getting Braver.....or just getting on with it  (Read 1254 times)

Offline usernotdefined

Getting Braver.....or just getting on with it
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
So, today was a good day. I got brave and visited a local lunch club for positive people, all genders, colours, creeds and sexualities in one room.

I must admit it was quite daunting and the nerves meant that lunch was the last thing on my mind, but the volunteers there were really nice and made a real effort to find people for me to talk to.

It was such an unbelievable relief to be sitting in a room and know that I didn't have this massive secret that I carry around with me on a daily basis like a badly manufactured bomb in a rucksack.

I'm continuing my new found bravery by posting in this forum for the first time after clinging to the safety of the Women's forum for the past two weeks.

It's all about PMA for me now, only 3 weeks to go until I commence START (I am 4 months pregnant and only received my HIV diagnosis 3 weeks ago! My previous posts will tell all for anyone interested  ;))

Happy weekend everyone  :)

UND
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:43:38 PM by usernotdefined »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Getting Braver.....or just getting on with it
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »
Congrats on your continued steps of bravery...and welcome to the Living With forum.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
Well done, UND!

And welcome to Living With. :)

MtD
(Who loves your username)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Good on you, it's just a virus, not a giant sign on your head. Good on you. - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Online bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
The first steps are the hardest.   It does get easier though. 

Good for you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »

Und,

Welcome to the Living With forum.   I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis however, I am glad you found us.  The forums were a valuable source of information and support for me in the beginning and still remain so today.  My wife and I enjoyed the birth of a healthy babygirl 3 years ago.  The advances in treatment today allow us living with HIV to have children with who have less than a 1% chance of being infected.  The fact they diagnosed you this early is what some call a God send;  I would too if I were religious. :)

Judging from your post though, you are probably aware of this.  The strength I sense will serve you well sister.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Skeebo
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
I'm glad you are getting braver! Good for you and welcome to the forums.
HUGS
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »
Great to see you stepping out and living life. There are ups and downs, but it gets easier. :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »
Welcome, you'll find a wealth of information and support here. 

Greg.
Judging someone does not define them, it defines you. 

True peace is not merely the absence of war, it is the presence of justice.

Offline usernotdefined

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
Thanks guys.

I've got about 10 days now 'til my next appt where I will be prescribed Combivir and Kaletra which I will take just for the remainder of my pregnancy. Little bit apprehensive about that but I'm sure it will be less dramatic than the "chained to the loo until June" scenario I have in my head......

I had a scan this week so I know that I am growing a little boy  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.