POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620455
  • Total Topics: 46750
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 149
Total: 151

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" AIDSmeds forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future AIDSmeds Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: STRONG RASH!?!  (Read 3456 times)

Offline RASHAFRAID

STRONG RASH!?!
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Hi everybody,
I had been dating with a girl that meet in a concert 3 weeks an a half ago, in our second date (the next day after the concert) we had sex, in the very beginning of our intercoursei penetrated her for around 5-7 seconds without condom; three days ago (that's mean 3 weeks after our first contact, 16 days after our second and 11 days after our third) i developed a strong and itchy rash in my belly, hands (both sides) and cheeks (slightly), together with some muscular pains, not -at least noticeable- fever and not lymph nodes either. The rash had been decreasing but is still there; of course i was checking in internet and the description (pictures included) match with a maculopapular rash usually developed during the Acute Retroviral Syndrome of hiv and that coincidence really scare me to death.

I get tested around 2 months ago (every single year i use to do it) and i know that i was hiv negative at the moment of our encounters; i asked her today about get tested and she told me that never do it before and don't see any trouble in it; but honestly told me that not always had safe sex because was in a relationship during 5 years and don't used to use preservatives with her ex-boyfriend.

So already explained, my questions, if somebody can help me, are the following:

1.Even in the worst scenario that she could be hiv positive and keeping in mind the brief unprotected beginning in our three encounters (7 seconds max. in each one, besides i am circumcised), it is possible that i get infected?;  already read the most of the posts in the forum and know that the possibilities are really low in a FULL unprotected intercourse, then would be my chances lower?

2. Is that kind of Rash (maculopapular) exclusive from hiv ARS or could be provoked for another illnesses? i mean, this specific and strong rash could indeed indicates that i get infected with hiv?

Well i'm really feeling completely lost for now, so thanks again for any help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: STRONG RASH!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »
Rash,

The rash that sometimes accompanies hiv seroconversion does not itch. There are literally thousands of things that can cause an itchy rash. If you're worried about yours, show it to a doctor.

While it is theoretically possible for you to become infected with hiv during a 5-7 second unprotected insertion, it is highly unlikely. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

If you test over this very brief incident, a three month test will be conclusive. I fully expect you to test hiv negative over this situation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RASHAFRAID

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »

Hi everybody i was sure that i learned the lesson from the last time, but like a fool here i'm once again here scared to death. 11 days ago i met a girl in a party.... you know the rest, i was quite drunk and don't have a properly erection, so when i was trying to put myself a condom stupidly we had a brief vaginal unprotected penetration (no more than 5 seconds),then i came back to myself and stop it inmediately, that's it. In fact was so brief that i was no worried.
But before yesterday i begun to noticed some kind of spot in my penis, and today is a kind of sore really big red inside and white in the borders, no painful at all but with a bad smell, i check in internet and looks like siphilis Shocked, i call to a green line and they told me the siphilis is indeed the most probably...but it's possible get contagied with hiv too.
I'm going to the dermatologist (venerologist) tomorrow, to check STD's but i think i already f... my life; please i really, really need your counseil; keeping in mind the worst scenario that the girl was hiv+ do you think that i get infected?? It's the way that use to be? catch syphilis, means catch hiv?!?

Thanks in advance for your help, i'm desperate.... and my world already is falling down.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:22:45 AM »
Rash,

Thank you for returning to your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

If the woman you were with had an active syphilis sore, then your risk is slightly higher. However, hiv is still difficult to transmit from a woman to a man.

The earliest you should test for hiv is six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this point. A six week negative result is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

You really need to learn your lesson and start using condoms.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RASHAFRAID

SYPHILIS!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Apreciated Ann,

I already received the sad notice that i'm infected with syphilis (secondary told me the doctor, he will explain me tomorrow), looks like my ex-girl friend (yeah that one from the concert, i mean the girl from my first thread on the forum) was having fun at my back :'( actually i realized...TOO LATE!! STUPID OF ME!! that she was not worthy even a penny!!!
The point is that we were sleeping together for a while, we made tests and all the staff, but a friend of mine caught her in HOT action with another guy, friend of his brother...is a small world!! After that, 27 days later i made a hiv DUO test that came negative and the doctor told me that it would not be necessary worry anymore about it... and i believe it!! OH YEAH I DID!! and don't check anything else STD.

NOW I FEEL COMPLETELY LOST!!, the symptoms that i had been experiencing are the new face of the Syphilis, trying to control my body....

I don't even know  if that test DUO, 27 seven days later from the betrayal  of this b...LADY, it's good enough in the case of a co-infection with syphilis?????I HOPE WITH ALL MY HEARTH YES!!

Please if anybody of you good people, will could help me to clear my mind, i will really, seriously really grateful.

Thank you... just can't express my self now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:12:30 PM by RASHAFRAID »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: SYPHILIS!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Apreciated Ann,

I already received the sad notice that i'm infected with syphilis (secondary told me the doctor, he will explain me tomorrow), looks like my ex-girl friend (yeah that one from the concert, i mean the girl from my first thread on the forum) was having fun at my back :'( actually i realized...TOO LATE!! STUPID OF ME!! that she was not worthy even a penny!!!
The point is that we were sleeping together for a while, we made tests and all the staff, but a friend of mine caught her in HOT action with another guy, friend of his brother...is a small world!! After that, 27 days later i made a hiv DUO test that came negative and the doctor told me that it would not be necessary worry anymore about it... and i believe it!! OH YEAH I DID!! and don't check anything else STD.

NOW I FEEL COMPLETELY LOST!!, the symptoms that i had been experiencing are the new face of the Syphilis, trying to control my body....

I don't even know  if that test DUO, 27 seven days later from the betrayal  of this b...LADY, it's good enough in the case of a co-infection with syphilis?????I HOPE WITH ALL MY HEARTH YES!!

Please if anybody of you good people, will could help me to clear my mind, i will really, seriously really grateful.

Thank you... just can't express my self now.

Having contracted syphillis does not mean you have contracted HIV. If you already had an active case of syphillis, yes that would make you more vulnerable to acquiring HIV. You're initial incident was hardly even a risk. The second one was risky.

There are some important facts in your favor against transmission having occured. HIV is a fragile virus and more difficult to transmit from female to male than the other way around. If it was only once with the second woman that also mitigates against transmission having occured. But you do need to test at 13 weeks/3 months to get an all clear.

Low risk is not the same as no risk so you need to stop playing penile roulette with your life. You can have intercourse with anyone you want to. You just need to do it the safer way which means always using a condom. No exceptions. And another no-no is mixing excessive drinking with casual sex. Don't bother explaining with but buts to us.

You're the one who is putting your health and your life at risk with these unprotected incidents. Don't you care enough about your life to put that ahead of some careless screwing? Just saying...
Andy Velez

Offline RASHAFRAID

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
Andy,
thank you for your promptly answer, i already talk with that girl from my second tread, to advice her to get tested for HIV,SIPHYLIS and all the battery of STD's... i explain her that the risk was slept with ME!

Now with my ex-girlfriend, that one for my first tread i was trying to build a serious relation ship, we get tested together for all the STD's, i was sleeping only with her, even we were planning to move together, but during the meantime she was betraying me with somebody else; when i realize her game we have a serious quarrel and she just left me!! That's it! At least she have some decency to told me  that was sleeping with that other guy without protection :o; for that reason, i mean because i was sleeping ONLY WITH HER, i get tested 27 seven days after we broke out, but only for HIV (Duo core), my doctor was confident about the results and that was enough reassuring for me.

Now thanks to my ex-girl friend i'm infected with syphilis and wanted to know if that TEST DUO at 27 days was enough to discard a co-infection with HIV??
 tomorrow i will test again of course; and for sure i will never ever will play romeo in my life anymore, too much love can kills!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
No, a negative Duo test as 27 days is not enough to give you an all-clear for HIV. You need to get tested at 3 months for that result.

And you need to know that until if and when you may find yourself in a securely monogamous relationship in which BOTH partners reliably test negative together, until if and when that happens you need always to be using a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. Period.

Good luck with your test when you take it. Keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline RASHAFRAID

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
Hi every body,
Thanks for yor Answer, i really get it now Andy. Like you, Ann and some others working in this helpful site, are always rposting us; the key is use (besides of an obligatory condom) the brain, and don't put your health, yourself, in danger, just for a few minutes of -after the consequences- regrettable pleasure.
I will personally never forget it again; and from now i will change my non-healthy and less conscious style of life.

Today the doctor took me a new blood sample to stablish the level of the illness in my body, together with a new hiv, Hep B and Hep C tests; i will have the results on friday. He told me that, even not definitive, that Negative hiv DUO test 28 days (4weeks) later is a good indicator that probably i didn't catch hiv too.

Later on in home, i was thinking what happens in the case of a co-infection (syphilis, hep B or C and hiv), with the detection time of the hiv test (window period), it will change (get longer) or is just independent from the other illnesses? That's the only question that i have and i will not bothering you with any other more.
The next time i will just write with my results.

Thank you in advance and best regards.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
Rash,

The only time co-infection has been noted to affect hiv tests is when a long term intravenous drug user has been infected with hiv and hep C at the same time. Even then, it is rare for the co-infection to delay the production of antibodies.

Unless you've been injecting street drugs, every day, for YEARS, this isn't going to be a problem for you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RASHAFRAID

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
Thank you very much Ann,
I know that i promised don't make any other answer but i  just need to make just one more.

Knowing now that unfortanately i have syphilis, and that make me more prone to get infected with hiv;
what is the risk to had been infected during that last brief unprotected intercourse that i posted (before to know that i got syphilis)...too much bigger, 3 times bigger or is still slightly just for be short? (i don't know the status of that girl, but let's get say for evident porpuses that she is positive ).
 Excuse me if i'm disturbing you in any way, but in mi position that answer is really relevant.
Once again thanks for your help.
Best regards.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
Thank you very much Ann,
I know that i promised don't make any other answer but i  just need to make just one more.

Knowing now that unfortanately i have syphilis, and that make me more prone to get infected with hiv;
what is the risk to had been infected during that last brief unprotected intercourse that i posted (before to know that i got syphilis)...too much bigger, 3 times bigger or is still slightly just for be short? (i don't know the status of that girl, but let's get say for evident porpuses that she is positive ).
 Excuse me if i'm disturbing you in any way, but in mi position that answer is really relevant.
Once again thanks for your help.
Best regards.

I don't think it is clear that you have syphilis. In any event, this is not a general STD forum so we cannot answer those questions.

Do you have an HIV specific question?

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »
Rash,

On the evening of May 3rd, you said "I already received the sad notice that i'm infected with syphilis (secondary told me the doctor, he will explain me tomorrow)"

So what did the doctor say? We know that he took more blood tests, but you never mentioned your discussion about syphilis. Do you actually, in fact, have syphilis? This is not totally clear from what you've posted.

In your situation, being the insertive partner, having syphilis does not increase your chance of hiv infection all that much. As you've been repeatedly told, only testing at the appropriate time will tell you your hiv status. As you've also been told, coinfection with syphilis will not affect your hiv testing window.

How long after your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse was your last hiv test (the one from the other day) taken?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RASHAFRAID

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Ann, thank you for your answer and please let my clarify... this is quite complicated.

I had a positive test for syphilis (3rd of May) the doctor told me that possibly could be secondary one, because i doesn't have a specific chancre or any kind of evidence that indicates that is primary syphilis...then he order me 3 other syphilis specific tests, but the last friday (13 may) the results arrive NEGATIVE, i mean no syphilis at all, the first test was a false positive, by his recommendation i made a hiv test that came negative too, but was only 12 days after the last risky brief contact that i refer you (April 24..."11 days ago i met a girl in a party.... you know the rest, i was quite drunk and don't have a properly erection, so when i was trying to put myself a condom stupidly we had a brief vaginal unprotected penetration (no more than 5 - 10 seconds)",).

I had strong symptoms 9 days later after this contact including rash in hands (itchy), in arms  and belly (not itchy) that comes and go during 3 or 4 days and a intensive pain in the groin (until today) with swollen lymphatic nodes, chills, some of fever (38 degrees during two nigths only), sore throat and dizziness; i was in the hospital and there make me all the tests (besides of syphilis) and they show that i have a pre-diabetic state (glucosa in 125) and the level of white blood cells quite high (6 points over the mark)...they guess that i'm fighting against some kind of infection, i was send it to the urologist (and diabetologist) who mades me an USG in my groin and testicles, and told me that i have a testicle infection too, they took an urine sample for a urine culture, i'm just waiting for the results to begun to take antibiotics.
The venereologist that saw me for the syphilis staff, told me that i must make a new hiv test now (i made it yesterday) 19 days later of the brief unprotected vaginal contact, and repeat it 10 weeks later; because maybe the false positive in syphilis and all this symptoms can indicate an acute seroconvertion for hiv... and that really scare me to death, in monday i will have the results in 10weeks he will repeat me syphilis, chlamidia, Hep B and C.

It's possible that i catch hiv for this brief incident?.. all this staff is specially weird, from where that testicular infection could came, it can be because of hiv infection?... i'm pretty confused, afraid and stressed...
I already know that symptoms are not an indicator, but all this things together are overwhelming me; i know too that i have to wait for results; but any kind of support or advice by your side will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much, i'll keep posting about my results and evolution.

Best regards.

Out of the order, i'm going to the psychologist just to found support to left the alcohol, that is pushing me to put my live at risk, thanks to Andy for the reflexion that open my eyes:
"You're the one who is putting your health and your life at risk with these unprotected incidents. Don't you care enough about your life to put that ahead of some careless screwing? Just saying..."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.