Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Why are so many HIV+ people on state assistance?

(1/14) > >>

buginme2:
I read quite often that HIV is a chronic manageable disease.  However, based on many of the posts on this forum it seems that quite a few people receive state assistance such as ADAP.  Is this due to not being able to work and therefore not having private insurance?  I don't mean any disrespect, there just seems to be a lot of mixed signals with regards to this disease.

edfu:
I don't mean any disrespect, but perhaps you haven't heard that more than 50 million Americans don't have health insurance.  Perhaps you haven't heard we are in a recession.

They don't have insurance because they have lost their jobs.  They don't have insurance because companies are dropping health-care benefits because of the excessively high cost.  They don't have insurance because they can't afford the premiums, often between $500-$1,000 per month for individual policies, and they would rather keep roofs over their heads and buy food.  Insurance premiums are 47% higher today than they were in 2005.  They don't have insurance because the insurance companies are more interested in profits than in preserving the health of their clients.  They may have insurance, but they still can't afford the outrageous co-pays, especially for HAART.  They don't have insurance because of pre-existing conditions.  They don't have insurance because the U.S. government does not deem health to be an intrinsic human right, as does every other government in the Western democratic world.    

woodshere:
Perhaps it could be because we live in a country where over 40 million people live without insurance or many jobs have no benefits.  And last time I checked HIV ain't cheap.

Looks like edfu beat me to it, but wanted to get my 2 cents in on a thread that just rubbed my in a major bad way!!!

Jeff G:
There are also some of us who have had complications from having HIV for so long that we require assistance or have been forced onto disability because of disease progression and high cost of health care . For some its a complicated answer to your question . 

edfu:

--- Quote from: buginme2 on January 01, 2011, 11:44:19 PM ---I read quite often that HIV is a chronic manageable disease.  However, based on many of the posts on this forum it seems that quite a few people receive state assistance such as ADAP.  Is this due to not being able to work and therefore not having private insurance?  

--- End quote ---

I see from your previous posts that you have insurance, yet you have also taken advantage of Atripla's co-pay assistance program.  If you have "insurance," why have you enrolled in this program?  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version