HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

PEP

(1/8) > >>

Questioning:
Hello, I just had a few questions...
Last night I received oral sex from another male and his teeth caused small abrasions on the glans of my penis.  They did not bleed, but the skin became slightly inflamed and appeared to cause a "blood blister"  (it appeared slightly violet) that was gone this morning, though a much improved reddish area remained.  I did not discover any blood in my boxers and there does not seem to be a cut, but it is possible of course it is not visible to the naked eye.  I immediately washed the area and urinated after the oral sex was performed.  I am unsure of his status as well as whether or not he had open sores in his mouth. Is there a reason to be concerned as well as a reason to be tested?  If so, what are the chances of transmission via this expsoure? 

A more general question:
As I understand, HIV is more prevalent among the African American population.  Is this due to a lifestyle difference or a genetic susceptibility?

Thanks!

Matty the Damned:
Questioning,

Receiving oral sex is not and never has been a risk for HIV transmission. Please read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

That said, sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. All full STD screen includes an HIV antibody test. Others STD's, such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and genital herpes are much more prevalent and contagious than HIV. If you've not had a full screen for a while or if you've not had one at all you might consider making an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

One other thing, HIV is colour blind. It doesn't care who you are, it cares about what you do. African-Americans (or any other racial/cultural grouping) do not have any "genetic susceptibility" to HIV infection.

MtD

Questioning:
Hi, I am worried sick now...I saw my primary care physician today because my throat has been sore and my eczema has gone haywire.   He asked if I had been tested for HIV recently. I was tested and clean in August.  However, his conrcern has caused a huge concern on my own part.  I have never had unprotected anal sex nor have I used any kind of drugs.  I have had a few incidents where transmission may be possible but highly unlikely. I have limited my sexual behavior to a minimum since I was 16 and have not engaged in any high risk activities.  I am highly concerned because he mentioned this.   I have been extremely stressed lately because I have 3 exams and 2 papers due next week and Im just now getting over bronchitis, which may be the reasons for my medical problems.  I need some form of support or advice... can anyone help me?

RapidRod:
You should have ask the doctor why he/she thought you needed to be tested. You didn't have a risk. Read the "Welcome" thread and follow the link in lessons to transmission. You are spending valuable time worrying about a non risk situation when you could be applying it to your studies.

Ann:
Question,

If your doctor knows you are gay, that might be why he asked you about testing. Even though it would be good practice for doctors to ask ALL their patients that question, unfortunately some doctors buy into the myth that only gay men are at risk.

By the way, you say you were "clean" in August. Have you had a shower or bath since then? To use the term "clean" to describe your hiv status implies that those of us who ARE hiv positive are dirty. This is highly insulting so please think about your choice of words in future. Thanks.

You didn't have a risk of hiv infection when you got that blowjob.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version