Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Access to HIV healthcare

(1/3) > >>

GSOgymrat:
What do people in the U.S. with HIV do when they lose their job and can't afford COBRA payments? Are there options for people who don't qualify for disability or ADAP?

leatherman:

--- Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 08, 2010, 03:31:40 PM ---What do people in the U.S. with HIV do when they lose their job and can't afford COBRA payments? Are there options for people who don't qualify for disability or ADAP?

--- End quote ---
I think all the pharma companies have assistance programs now (co pay, reduced price, prescription card, etc), and many ASOs are able to help in obtaining meds.

Also dependent on how long you are unemployed (and/or the resources you have available), many people qualify quickly for assistance through different ASO programs, ADAP program, and social programs (ie welfare, medicaid). Realistically, you can only be unemployed so long before you begin to fall into the "poorer" categories and start to become eligible. So people usually only have a tough go for a few months in the transition from employed to unemployed to poor/eligible.

AlanBama:
Please don't tell me that you've lost your job honey....

Not sure who might be able to help in such a case....maybe someone will have some answers.

:'(

Oceanbeach:
My employer gave me the ax with no healthcare and no COBRA unless I paid it in advance.  I went without healthcare until my AIDS diagnosis and hospitalization with PCP.  Medicare and Medi-Cal covered the $36,000 hospital stay and every cost since.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

GSOgymrat:

--- Quote from: leatherman on December 08, 2010, 03:48:18 PM ---So people usually only have a tough go for a few months in the transition from employed to unemployed to poor/eligible.

--- End quote ---

That is not encouraging.

--- Quote from: AlanBama on December 08, 2010, 03:49:51 PM ---Please don't tell me that you've lost your job honey....

Not sure who might be able to help in such a case....maybe someone will have some answers.

:'(

--- End quote ---

No. I'm lucky that my job is very secure. I was talking with someone who is going to lose his job due to downsizing and was wondering what options are available. I was hoping there were options other than reaching the poverty level. He is going to contact the ASO.

--- Quote from: Choofnhurl on December 08, 2010, 04:05:47 PM ---My employer gave me the ax with no healthcare and no COBRA unless I paid it in advance.  I went without healthcare until my AIDS diagnosis and hospitalization with PCP.  Medicare and Medi-Cal covered the $36,000 hospital stay and every cost since.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

--- End quote ---

That is just maddening. You have to destroy your immune system and risk death before you can get help. I really hate our healthcare system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version