POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 06:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23510
  • Latest: yuanti
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639610
  • Total Topics: 48548
  • Online Today: 206
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla and food  (Read 2260 times)

Offline MarkB

Atripla and food
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:06:09 AM »
Hi

I have been on Atripla for about ten weeks now. By and large, I seem to have escaped the side effects which some people seem to go through in the early days. But I've noticed on some threads references to what type of food you can and can't have, and how long you should leave it between eating and taking the pill. My clinic told me none of these things, and anyway it's a long journey to get there (my next appointment is in January); so in the meantime:

- Are there any foods / supplements you can't have at all with Atripla?

- How long should you leave it between eating and taking the medication?

- So far, I have tended to take my dose at about 10.00 p.m. Is one time as good as another, or are late evenings better?

- What about alcohol: give it up completely or is "in moderation" still OK?

- In short, what are the "do's" and "don'ts" of this medication?

Thanks

Mark

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Atripla and food
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »
Hi Mark,

There is a tool available on this website where you can check for any potential interactions between your meds and other meds or supplements. Check My Meds You can also check med/med or med/supplement interactions at hiv-druginteractions.org

It's best to avoid fatty foods for an hour or two before taking Atripla - fatty foods tend to increase any Sustiva side-effects. This doesn't seem to affect everyone and as you're not experiencing any side-effects, you probably don't need to worry about it. My bf sometimes eats immediately before taking his Sustiva and sometimes he takes it on an empty stomach and either way never seems to make a difference for him. (He's on the same meds as are in Atripla, but he takes the Truvada component in the morning usually on an empty stomach, but sometimes after breakfast.) The food thing seems to be pretty individual and each person has to experiment to find out what works best for them. Again, as you're not experiencing any side-effects, it's probably something you don't need to worry about.

It doesn't matter what time of day or night you take Atripla, what matters is that you take it at pretty much the same time every time. You have a couple hours lee-way in either direction though. Most people take Atripla at night so they sleep through the majority of the Sustiva side-effects. It can be taken in the morning if you're not having side-effects; there are people on this forum who do just that.

Alcohol in moderation is fine. Moderation in moderation is good too. ;) :D

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MarkB

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
Ann -

Thanks for the links, which I hadn't seen.

... And for the counsel against overly moderate living!!

:D

Offline ocguy83

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:43:09 AM »
I started Atripla 5 days ago. My doctor wants me to take it on an empty stomach at night time. I was sleeping great before starting the medication now I can not sleep at all.  I don't have vivid dreams I just don't sleep.  My stomach is very upset and I sweat most of the day which I never sweat before. I am assuming these side effects will all go away as the doctor said in a few weeks.  I was told by a friend to try taking the atripla a few hours before bed with some crackers and I tried that tonight and I have not had any stomach pain or sweat and am already feeling tired. Does anyone think I am doing harm since I am new to the medication? I hope this post doesn't sound to silly, I am new to all of this. Someone please respond.

Thank You!
10/2010-tested negative
11/2010-hospitalized with flu symptoms tested negative initially, after further testing showed, early detection.
CD4: 530 VL: 170,864
12/02/2010 started atripla

Offline bufguy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
I have been on Atripa for 2-1/2 years now and it has been fortunately a breeze. I bought myself a 7 day pill box, because it has become so second nature I sometimes forget whether I have taken my pill.
The first week was tough...feverish, very anxious, jittery, just feeling unwell. After 10 days all side effects were gone.
It is recommended not to take with food as food, especially fatty foods that can raise the efavienz (sustiva) levels in your blood creating side effects. This has not happened to me. NO side effects.
I can't describe how lucky I feel to have an easy, effective medication.
5/29/08 confirmed HIV+
6/23/08 Vl 47500  CD4 511/29% CD8 .60
start atripla
8/1/08 Vl 130  CD4 667/31% CD8 .70
9/18/08 Vl un  CD4 not tested
12/19/08 Vl un CD4 723/32% CD8 .80
4/3/09 Vl un CD4 615/36% CD8  .98
8/7/09 vl un CD4 689/35% CD8 .9
12/11/09 vl un CD4 712/38% CD8 .89
4/9/10 vl un CD4 796/39% CD8 1.0
8/20/10 vl un CD4 787/38% CD8 1.0
4/6/10 vl un CD4 865/35% CD8 .9
8/16/10 vl un CD4 924/37% CD8 1.0
12/23/10 vl un CD4 1006/35% CD8 .9
5/2/10 vl un CD4 1040/39% CD8 .9
8/7/13 vl un CD4 840/39% CD8 .9

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »

Does anyone think I am doing harm since I am new to the medication? I hope this post doesn't sound to silly, I am new to all of this. Someone please respond.

Hi OC, welcome to the forums.

You're not going to do any harm by eating a few crackers before you take your Atripla.

As others have mentioned, the criteria of not eating for a few hours before or after Atripla is to minimise side-effects from Sustiva and that's it. Some people never have problems with eating and Atripla, some people only have problems eating something fatty and some people only have problems in the first few weeks or months. Everyone is different in this regard and the only way to find out where you stand is to experiment. But rest assured that other than possibly having increased side-effects, you're not going to do any harm.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Maelrod

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »
Hi guys , I been on atripla for 7 weeks,on the beginning had a few dreams that's all, some tomes on morning time used to feel a lot concentration of meds, that's is gone BUT after 7 weeks still w nauseas. I don't eat much at evening time.  Today I ate at 3:30pm  no feeling like wanna nothingh for dinner but a ate some cereal at 7 pm  used to take my pill at 9 now switch at 11 (bed time). My quest anyone had or have this cituation. Some recommendations    I have a very sensible stomach (vomit) sometimes
Is better STOp living in the past, the I SHOULDn't doesn't exist.

Offline next2u

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:27:39 AM »
Moderation in moderation is good too. ;) :D

words of wisdom
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »
I have been on Atripla for 3 three years or there about, and the dreams are non-existent almost.   I have been taking it just an half an hour after meals with no side effects.  My meals are never fatty, except for olive oil in the salad dressing, which is probably why the effects are at the lowest.  My only problem is that it does make me fatigue early in the afternoons, so my doctor recommends switching to another drug combination that does not include the chemical that causes the fatigue side effect.  I may consider that for next year, but my numbers are good and I am afraid that if I do change and the numbers gets worst, I may not be able to take Atripla for some medical reason.  For now I take Nuvigil, a fatigue fighter, which really helps boost motivation and stops the fatigue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

“Neither look forward where there is doubt nor backward where there is regret. Look inward and ask not if there is anything o

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
Hi guys , I been on atripla for 7 weeks,on the beginning had a few dreams that's all, some tomes on morning time used to feel a lot concentration of meds, that's is gone BUT after 7 weeks still w nauseas. I don't eat much at evening time.  Today I ate at 3:30pm  no feeling like wanna nothingh for dinner but a ate some cereal at 7 pm  used to take my pill at 9 now switch at 11 (bed time). My quest anyone had or have this cituation. Some recommendations    I have a very sensible stomach (vomit) sometimes
Maybe it is what you are eating that is the problem.  You may have to change to simpler foods and cook you own meals rather than consume process foods.

“Neither look forward where there is doubt nor backward where there is regret. Look inward and ask not if there is anything o

Offline Maelrod

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
just wanna say thanks drago  for your recomendation, im completly new trying my best
Is better STOp living in the past, the I SHOULDn't doesn't exist.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
just wanna say thanks drago  for your recomendation, im completly new trying my best
Anytime and your welcome.  Also, maintain a good diet and exercise to keep the muscles tone and stretch and the body in proper shape for these meds can do bad things to the body so you have to be extra healthy to avoid the negative side effects.  That includes eating right.  So try to be healthy.  Take care.

red_Dragon888
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:02:45 PM by red_Dragon888 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.