Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

SSDI Info

<< < (2/4) > >>

JR Gabbard:

--- Quote from: mewithu on November 30, 2010, 09:43:17 PM ---  Another place that doesn't take all your money like lawyers do is called  QUICKAID and you can find their number on google. They don't charge near what a lawyer does and probably do the same thing as what the lawyer would do. Thank you.

--- End quote ---

Actually, they charge exactly what a lawyer would charge for the same service.  The allowable fees are set by the government, and are currently 25% of a retro-payment up to a maximum $6000.  The fee has to be approved by SSA before it is paid out.  No lawyer or non-lawyer rep can charge you one penny more than the approved amount.  The only exception is that you can be charged for expenses like independent medical exams, or copies of medical records.  That's it.

Of the many ways to get screwed by a lawyer on fees, SSA disability is not one. 

laslopaka:
Hello Mr Jr Gabbard,
I was wondering what do you feel about the L.A.S.H (Legal aid Society of Hawaii). ??? Being that I am on state aid and food stamps my case worker stated that "They are Bulldogs" when appealing claims for SSDI. This would be no fee for me. They put me in touch with them. They said that they have someone working in the DDS department and they would push my claim thru faster. They were quick on their response, I received a booklet on my appeal rights the very next day. Would like to know if it would be advisable to go thru LASH or go with a private Lawyer if I should get denied again. I  got diagnosed with Hiv Encephalopthy. Have recurring Shingles and Herpes. The Life Foundation of Hawaii also goes with LASH for Legal Help.  Can't see on paying another lawyer after paying $1600.00 to file my Bankruptcy Mahalo for your response. :)

--- Quote from: JR Gabbard on December 01, 2010, 03:27:51 PM ---Actually, they charge exactly what a lawyer would charge for the same service.  The allowable fees are set by the government, and are currently 25% of a retro-payment up to a maximum $6000.  The fee has to be approved by SSA before it is paid out.  No lawyer or non-lawyer rep can charge you one penny more than the approved amount.  The only exception is that you can be charged for expenses like independent medical exams, or copies of medical records.  That's it.

Of the many ways to get screwed by a lawyer on fees, SSA disability is not one. 

--- End quote ---

JR Gabbard:

--- Quote from: laslopaka on December 01, 2010, 06:15:03 PM ---Hello Mr Jr Gabbard,
I was wondering what do you feel about the L.A.S.H (Legal aid Society of Hawaii). ??? Being that I am on state aid and food stamps my case worker stated that "They are Bulldogs" when appealing claims for SSDI. This would be no fee for me. They put me in touch with them. They said that they have someone working in the DDS department and they would push my claim thru faster. They were quick on their response, I received a booklet on my appeal rights the very next day. Would like to know if it would be advisable to go thru LASH or go with a private Lawyer if I should get denied again. I  got diagnosed with Hiv Encephalopthy. Have recurring Shingles and Herpes. The Life Foundation of Hawaii also goes with LASH for Legal Help.  Can't see on paying another lawyer after paying $1600.00 to file my Bankruptcy Mahalo for your response. :)

--- End quote ---

Legal Aid societies are an excellent resource for low-cost legal help.  LASH sounds like a pretty good organization, judging from your report and a quick look at their website.  They will probably be able to help you all the way through the process, so you shouldn't need to hire a private attorney.  You may have a LASH attorney working on your case anyway, if they do that.

Your post raises an issue I want to talk about, since this thread has been hijacked already into a discussion of fees (oh--that was me, wasn't it).  There are non-profit agencies who will represent you on an SSDI claim for no charge.  Many of them are ASOs and specialize in HIV-related disability, others (like LASH) serve the general population.  Most of them are excellent, some not so much.  They don't charge because they get funding from government or charitable sources, which affect whom they can help, and the kinds of cases they will accept.  Not all areas of the country have this no-cost representation available, though, especially for SSDI.

If you can get a non-profit agency to represent you, you should definitely go with that.  If you aren't happy with whomever you hire, you have the right to fire them and hire someone else (or even go it alone) at any time.

laslopaka:
Mr. Babbard
Thank you very much for your reply. You made my day. LASH sounds really good. Thanks Again.
 Mahalo

laslopaka:
Hello Mr Gabbard,
FYI: I got a call from a lawyer from LASH yesterday she wants me to come down today to sign an agreement to hire her as my lawyer. She sounded like she knew what she was talking about. She even put me on a 3 way call with the DDS to find out what more he needed as far as may records. He got thru them right away while I was still waitting for a call back from him from a couple of days ago.  :He sounded really cooperative with her while I listened. Don't know if that was a good sign or not? ???
But a really big thank you for your advice on this matter.
Aloha

--- Quote from: JR Gabbard on December 02, 2010, 01:46:58 PM ---Legal Aid societies are an excellent resource for low-cost legal help.  LASH sounds like a pretty good organization, judging from your report and a quick look at their website.  They will probably be able to help you all the way through the process, so you shouldn't need to hire a private attorney.  You may have a LASH attorney working on your case anyway, if they do that.

Your post raises an issue I want to talk about, since this thread has been hijacked already into a discussion of fees (oh--that was me, wasn't it).  There are non-profit agencies who will represent you on an SSDI claim for no charge.  Many of them are ASOs and specialize in HIV-related disability, others (like LASH) serve the general population.  Most of them are excellent, some not so much.  They don't charge because they get funding from government or charitable sources, which affect whom they can help, and the kinds of cases they will accept.  Not all areas of the country have this no-cost representation available, though, especially for SSDI.

If you can get a non-profit agency to represent you, you should definitely go with that.  If you aren't happy with whomever you hire, you have the right to fire them and hire someone else (or even go it alone) at any time.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version