POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23733
  • Latest: vrocky
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642796
  • Total Topics: 48898
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla  (Read 1579 times)

Offline pozutah

Atripla
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:12:22 PM »
I am about to start a treatment plan.  The doctor is wanting to have me take Atripla.  Who can tell me about Atripla?  Whats your feelings about the drug?  How did it work for you?  Are the side effects as bad as they say they can be? Whats your general feeling or information about Atripla?

Please share your feelings good or bad.  I have been doing a lot of research on HIV drugs and Atripla.  But I would like to see how people that have or are using it feel about the drug.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:18:40 PM by pozutah »
10-28-10 Tested Positive
11--1-10  CD4: 94 VL: 95,000
11-10-10 CD4: 113 VL: 98,000
11-30-10 Started talks for treatment
12-5-10 Shingles

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Atripla
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
Hi Pozutah:

Welcome -
First I need to say that everyone's experience with meds (including is Atripla) is different, so all I can share is my experience.

I have been on "A" for about a year (I think - I need to check my signature line).  I have tolerated it very well.  The biggest side effect I have had from it (up to this point) is occasional vivid dreams and some morning grogginess.

I take it with food, without food, with alcohol, without alcohol, etc.

Now, I have also heard others say that they were not able to tolerate some of the CNS (Central Nervous System) effects.

But, for me, it has been a good first regimen drug.  I am not resistant to any other combos, but for now I plan to stick with the Atripla.

Over the long-term, I will have to see if my body handles it as well as it has to this point.  Hope this helps.

Edited to add a couple of missing words - (no it isn't the Atripla causing me to miss words, it's the Coronas) ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:33:41 PM by phildinftlaudy »
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
I wish there was a way to determine who will and will not tolerate the Sustiva side effects. I know that depression (and mental issues of all sorts) are really tough to pin down (to the point where we really don't know exactly WHY most antidepressants work) but it would be great to know who can and cannot tolerate that element of Atripla before they try it.

I am jealous much of you  guys who can take that drug :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »
Hey PozUtah

I was on Atripla for almost a year and had to give it up for the side effects. It was a very effective med and helped me get to UD very quickly. Also, the once daily dosing was a great way to develop the routine to be adherant to the meds. I'm sure your doctor has probably stressed that adherance is critical to any HIV regimen.

There are multiple threads related to Atripla and its side-effects with some interesting discussions of its pros and cons. I won't list them because you can use the Search option to find those threads.

I think one of the most important bits of advice anyone can give/receive about the meds (aside from adherance) is to recognize that not everyone handles the same meds the same way. If, after giving yourself and your body adequate time to adapt to the meds, you feel that any side-effects are having a negative impact on your quality of life, speak to your doctor about other options. We have many, many options these days so it isn't always necessary to sacrifice quality of life for length of life.

Also, there are some posts out here about co-pay assistance for some of the meds (I'm not sure if Atripla has one or not), but someone else will surely point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you as you start meds. And remember, it might take a few days or weeks for your body to adjust to the meds and, depending on your current health, recover from the impact of HIV. Just be patient and hang it there!

~ Z  ;)

Offline pozutah

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information you have sent.  I am still doing my research about the drugs and understand that my body may or maynot take the drug well.  Also everyone is different and some are worse than others when you start a medications such as Atripla. 

ElZorro yes they have drug payment assit with Atripla.  I am using it to pay the copay of the drug.  My insurance is picking up the drug well but still have a copay larger than i can handle right now with other bills and medical expenses.
10-28-10 Tested Positive
11--1-10  CD4: 94 VL: 95,000
11-10-10 CD4: 113 VL: 98,000
11-30-10 Started talks for treatment
12-5-10 Shingles

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information you have sent.  I am still doing my research about the drugs and understand that my body may or maynot take the drug well.  Also everyone is different and some are worse than others when you start a medications such as Atripla. 

ElZorro yes they have drug payment assit with Atripla.  I am using it to pay the copay of the drug.  My insurance is picking up the drug well but still have a copay larger than i can handle right now with other bills and medical expenses.

Good luck, then and stay in touch and provide lots of updates on your progress!

Offline debsd222

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
Hi pozutah,
 I was one of those people who couldnt handle the sustiva...I was dizzy, out of it, felt really weird. I ended up having an allergic reaction to it so we had to stop all the meds. When I got out of the hospital they started me on another combo and thats working great. I agree with elzorro that there are many options. I was afraid of changing meds, but I feel so much better since I did. I think the important thing is to communicate with your doc about side effects so they can make changes if needed. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.
April 08 3 month bout w/ shingles, ongoing nerve pain
Dec 08 pos  cd4 200 %8  VL 18,000
Feb 09 started sustiva, truvada -allergic to sustiva, hospital 4 days.
March 09 started truvada, reyataz and norvir
March 09  cd4 279  % 12 VL 10,000
April 09 cd4 327  %12  VL 300
Aug 09 cd4 392  %16  Vl undetectable
Dec 09 hospital pneumonia 6 days
Dec 09 cd4 462  %20  VL undetectable
Mar 10 cd4 629 27% VL undetectable
July 9, 2010 cd4 505  21% VL undetectable
Oct 2010 cd4 689  22%  VL 64
Nov 2010  cd4689  22%  VL  UD
May 2013 cd4 759. 29%. VL. UD

Offline HotAtlDad

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »
I also have been on Atripla since November 2008, am 25 yr+ long term survivor and my T Cells had at that time dropped to 230 with a viral load about 46,000) and at that time my doctor thought best to begin treatment regimen.

The regimen immediately took effect and within the 1st two months my Viral load dropped to undetectible and my t cells slowly began to climb and now stay relatively stable between 375 & 450 and my viral load continues to be undetectible.   

I am a 65 yr old man and have few health issues beyond the HIV diagnosis and really have had few side effects from using the Atripla regimen with the exception of difficulty in getting into deep rem sleep cycles and had experienced very vivid and exhausting dream cycles.  My doctor added (generic ambien)Zolpidem (10 mg) to be taken in conjunction with the Atripla and that immediately helped me to achieve better sleep and did reduce the dream sequences to a major degree.  The other major side effect has been a layer of "belly fat" that can sometimes accompany the use of this drug so I would recommend as much exercise as you can do to help combat this. 

Good luck with your treatment and hope you will have as much success with Atripla as I have. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.