POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 25, 2014, 10:02:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650358
  • Total Topics: 49651
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do you still have your positive test results?  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Cliff

Do you still have your positive test results?
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:44:27 PM »
I was going through my immigration bag today.  My immigration bag is where I keep all of my immigration type documents, (birth certificates, work permits, visa paperwork, etc..).  Well today I noticed that my HIV tests were also included in my immigration bag.  I tested positive in 2003, and there were three test results.  One was inconclusive and showed partial antibody response and then the subsequents ones were positive.  I have no idea why I'm keeping these tests....other than to remind me of that summer.  And yet, I still couldn't force myself to throw the damn things away.

Am I nuts?   ???

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: Do you still have your positive test results?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
Life changing events are worth remembering..  I am not so sure about this one.. lol ;)

Best of luck on your career path... Nothin is gona stop ya!  Blow em over! 

Can't wait till HR comes back with a counter offer of another 20k per year.... Then what?

Love

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:59:28 PM »
Thanks Eric!  I'm actually anxious to start interviewing.  I've never really had to do it, since I got my job as an intern in college (and well the interview process then consisted of a bunch of partners flying up to Austin and renting a party boat on Lake Travis to take recruits out for a beer-filled, night cruise).  There will be no counter offers.  I can safely say, I am probably burning a couple of bridges.  They spent a lot of money to get me to London so they will not be happy.  They will probably counter with an invoice for me to pay them back for a portion of the cost of my relocation.  Oh well.

Anyhow....the funny thing about those test results is that I tested positive when I lived in Texas.  So I actually packed those results and moved them up to New York City with me and then packed them again, (mind you 90% of my things, especially my files were put into storage in Jersey), when I moved to London.  Crazy. 

I should have a celebration and burn them.  A sort of funeral (cremation) of the old Cliff (neggie Cliff).  He's gone and he ain't ever coming back.  ever
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 04:01:26 PM by Cliff »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 04:05:57 PM »
These are exciting times Cliff and I think the idea of a party and ashes of your past and the phoenix thing sounds pretty spectacular.   Will is the same as you.. He was hired by the College he graduated from and never left it until 25 years later.  He always tells me that he wished he had found me 20 years ago.. Oh well..  I was a fuck up back then anyway...  Best wishes to you Cliff and if this does not get the heart pounding /  boner popping feeling, nothing ever will!! ;D

You Rock!

Online Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »
Hi Cliff,

Sit for a bit and use your instinct about those papers. What would make you feel best about them -- getting rid of them or holding on to them for a while. They're yours, so the only important thing is what is best for you.

Let us know what you decide to do.

It sounds like you're in a moving on phase in your life so keep on rolling and see what comes up.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 04:41:04 PM »
Hi Cliff,

No, I don't have my actual test results on paper.
     I learned of my poz results over the phone. This was back in 1990 and my GYN was the one who had the test done for me.
It was very awkward for him as well as me. He wasn't accustomed to having his lab perform this test. I honestly believe that this was the first test for HIV/AIDS that he had ever had performed :o
Anyway I had to call him 45x's before he could get the courage up to tell me.
He was so uncomfortable having to tell me.

I could tell he was very uncomfortable. I knew the answer before he told me!

Peace Cliff and lotsa love,
Kelly

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
No, but I do have copies of my first blood work taken after my diagnosis in '93.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 05:07:06 PM »
Hello Cliff,

Yes, I still have the original  carbon copy from the Pinellas County Health dept. From 1985 , of my blood test results. I never really thought about discarding it. And after hanging on to it this long, I doubt I will. It's difficult for me to throw away paperwork of any-type, especially anything to do with medical. It's a little faded after 21 years !, But still readable.

Take Care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
Am I nuts?   ???

Hey ----you never know if or when you'll be asked in the future to prove that you're HIV-positive since xxmm-xxdd-xxyr ... Not a bad idea to retain those papers

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 05:20:42 PM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:42:56 PM by cowandalehouse »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 05:22:22 PM »
Well, I don't have mine since I walked out of that GP's office last year in a semi-fucked-up-state.  I know it has been sent down to my Denver Doc.  So maybe I will have it photocopied..  Is it profoundly ominous looking like a big HIV / AIDS stamp across it in bright pink lettering??

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »
Yes! I keep all my bloodwork results since 1999.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 05:34:40 PM »
Don't do anything hasty Cliff.   I am big about hanging onto stuff like that.

Like Kelly, I received my results over the phone in 03/87 so I never had any actual 'paperwork'.

When my doctor told me to prepare to die, and "make my arrangements", part of that entailed going through all my personal mementos; I threw away all old cards, letters, programs, and such that I had saved my whole life.   It was a stupid thing to do, and something I have always regretted.

My advice is just to put them aside for now.

Hugs to you,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »
Cliff,

The last time I looked at my original paperwork from the health dept. was in 2003, when I got my new HIV doctor. I had shown him the original, paper and two subsequents test results. One was also from 1986 and another from 1998 ( I believe) I remember when he saw the original from 1985 he was amazed at the fact that I probably still had it. He told me to keep it in a safe place.

Anyway, prior to showing him that documentation, I had not looked at that original for quite a few years.
It's just tucked away...

The Best----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »
No, I can;t even remember the date. Maybe I should get a copy.

- matt

Now playing: Suede, Saturday Night
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Robert

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 11:12:03 PM »
I've got my copy.  OF course I found out when I was in the hospital with pneumacystis.  I was on a gurney in the emergency room when the young ER Dr. came running in to tell me.  He was so excited!  I think I was his first. That's just about the last thing I remember. 

Woke up 11 days later after being intubated and on a resusitator.  3 months later I was going through the files and found my release papers.  All the numbers were printed on there.  I don't think I'll toss that away.

If you decide to burn them, why don't you save it for the next AMG?  We could have a big bonfire down at the beach.

robert

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »
I still have mine.  I just had a fantasy that a cure was found and I was burning them...

drew

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 11:48:54 PM »
I still have mine Cliff

April 5th 2002

CD4..220
V/L..750,000

I keep them with all my other blood results, they serves as a reminder of how far I have come in the last 4 years.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 11:55:41 PM »
Somewhere I think  I do.  Though I'm sure once I start at the hospital soon they're gonna test for that and I'll get a whole new one...nothing like finding out twice eh lol.
Poz since 2003.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 12:51:39 AM »
Maybe, but I'd have to search really hard.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 12:54:05 AM »
I still have a copy of my original positive antibody result (both ELISA and WB on the same page). I got the result on 3rd May 2002.

MtD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 12:56:11 AM »
Hi Cliff!!

Glad to know things are moving forward for you---sounds like an exciting time---all the big transitions are!

Yes, I still have my test results and I think it's important to keep such documentation with my medical records.

Do I look forward to a test results burning ceremony some day? Absolutely. In fact, I like Drew's fantasy. Cure arrives, out comes a pack of matches.

Em

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 02:06:28 AM »
I wished i would have saved mine! It was 1984, and it said I was hiv poz for HTLVIII

I tell this to my DR's and they look at me like "HUH" but I swore to God! that's what they told me I had. I remember it like it was yesterday.
I joked to my very first HIV DR about it.
"Hey I'm thinking about getting a custom license plate : HTLVIII

He looked at me and raised his nose in the air. He said   "Do that and people won't park near you!"

Whatever!
Positive since 1985

Offline Jerry71

• {Lexiva, Norvir, Complera} Still Breathing!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 02:15:54 AM »
Hey Cliff don't feel bad I have a box that I keep all of my test results and blood work in and not to mention that $25,000.00 Hospital bill when I first got sick. It's hard to believe that myCD4 count was 1. As of today that number has risen to 174.  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline gaz41

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 12:41:53 PM »
I tested positive anonymously at a public health office in Germany and was given the results orally...5th September 2003 ..3 years already

When I had my first appointment with my ID doc he ran the tests again naturally again positive , he didnīt give me a copy but the results are in my file should i ever need to have them

all the best

Garry

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »
Never got a paper copy...I don't think I want a copy...I keep the bloods and stuff...but not the actual confirmation...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »
Nuts? Absolutely not! 15 years later, several moves and many boyfriends later and I still have my papers from the health department from when I got the news. Why I've kept them this long I'll never know. ???
Jeff

Dan J.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
I don't have a paper paper copy of my first positive test results from May 1986.  I was told over the phone.

Dan J.

Offline Christine

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 02:34:25 PM »
No, I don't have mine. I went to Planned Parenthood. I knew what the answer was going to be, but it was still a horrible shock. I remember the nurse pulling her chair up real close to me, sitting right in front of me, our knees were almost touching. Another nurse was in the room standing behind me. And then she told me. I think I screamed, and the room spun around and around.

I left in such a stupor, I did not even think to get the results. The ID doctor re-tested at my first appointment, but I never saw them. Didn't really want to.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Lis

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 02:43:44 PM »
I still have my letter from the red cross.... "we are writing to inform you that your donation tested positive for the AIDS virus" 

your not nuts, it was a life changing experience... its OK to remember.... to dwell... that needs a therapist!!LOL

love you Cliff!!

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.