POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:49:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640733
  • Total Topics: 48671
  • Online Today: 200
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Rachel Maddow Jon Stewart Interview/Debate  (Read 617 times)

Online tednlou2

The Rachel Maddow Jon Stewart Interview/Debate
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:20:45 AM »
I found this very interesting and thought many of you would, too.  She interviewed him for the full hour.  They discuss the state of the media, whether FOX and MSNBC are the same, and much more.  It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.  The interview is broken up into different segments. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#40140781

Offline randym431

Re: The Rachel Maddow Jon Stewart Interview/Debate
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
I guess no one watched it?
I seen it. Im a die hard fan of Maddow, seldom watch Stewart.
Usually what I see of Stewart are clips that other news or talk shows play from his show.
But Maddow is such a "gentleman" so to speak. She interviews people showing respect to them.
On the interview/debate, I felt Stewart was trying to sell his type of show vs Maddow-ish news shows.
He was trying to justify how he works, while finding issues with how msnbc talk shows work.

All I can say is I will continue to be a die hard Maddow/Olbermann/Matthews fan.
I still don't find any desire to tune or watch Stewart.

Online leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
All I can say is I will continue to be a die hard Maddow/Olbermann/Matthews fan.
me too!
I PMed Teddy and told him that I thought JS was wrong. He "may" think he's doing comedy and not a news show; but he is doing political comedy and that is news. Matter of fact he's able to put a better slant on it even because he can be sarcasm and mean about everything he disagrees with, while other news reporters should be and usually try to be a little fair.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:53:46 AM »
I was disappointed in J S 's arguments here. It made me think his show is hilarious and on point because its a group effort, not his own.  Lately he is trying to say that its all subjective - peoples views on politics and history are just viewpoints.  FDR was wrong to imprison americans, Bush was wrong to fake legalise torture, Obama is wrong - but we have to wait to see what his manipulations of the constitution are.  Drones seem iffy.  The crimes are not subjective.  The seriousness of them in comparison - that we can talk about.  Its not subjective to say, Bush may be a war criminal, but Saddam Hussein was a criminal, so how could Bush be one? Just because they were both criminals does not mean that Bush's crimes were as heinous as Husseins.  JS is a sophist.

What JS and Maddow do are apples and oranges I dont see how anyone can confuse them. And what Fox news does is tangerines.  Look, EVERY media production has a bias - an ideology. This is one of the first tenets of media studies for the past 40 years!  So J S is on thin ice trying to say he does balanced satire.  Anderson Cooper has been repeating in every show that his show doesn't take sides - he does it better than Maddow (who does take sides) but his show is a hell of a lot less intelligent and amusing to watch than Maddow's, or Stewart's.  

Stewart's meandering justifications, pullbacks, pontifications were really an embarrassment.  Though I agree completely with one of his basic views - the LEFT VS RIGHT trope/theme, isn't the end of the possible reporting, nor should it be the basic challenge in government.  Thats pretty good point, and not easy to actualise, so he gets cred. Plus his own show is funny and smart and - sorry - more often about the Right's hypocrisy than the Left's because the Right is nuts these years.  Satire of Hillary Clinton is not the same as satire of Christine ODonnell cause the latter is a nut case who was taken seriously by some people.

Maddow wins for the classiest act in "biased" news and political commentary, and I think it would have been more interesting to see her debate and discuss with a big 3 news anchor like Brian Williams.

(Now, would you rather sleep with Maddow, Stewart, Cooper or Williams?  All so cute!)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:25:16 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.