POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 02:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639102
  • Total Topics: 48516
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 175
Total: 177

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ambien and Atripla?  (Read 2540 times)

nychope1

Ambien and Atripla?
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
For about twelve nights I have been taking Ambien CR to help me sleep.  I started Atripla four nights ago. The first three nights I took the Atripla and Ambien together and had no bad side effects and slept well. Then last night I wanted to try and stop the Ambien so as not to get too reliant on it and not take too many meds, (Ambien makes me very edgy after taking it for several nights). I had the worst night and really bad side effects like chest pains and anxiety and dizziness. This morning I felt very depressed to the point where my doc suggested I stop the Atripla. I felt much better as the day went on and probably will continue it tonight.
Has anyone had any similar reactions? Can one have withdrawal symptoms from stopping Ambien after taking it continuously for more than two weeks?
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:13:14 PM by nychope1 »

Granny60

Re: Ambien and Atripla?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »
Hubby takes Ambien CR ( Cr the double release version)  .  It does come in two different dosages.  The  6.25 mg is recommended for people 60 and over, and the 12.5 mg.   for the those younger than 60.  The 6.25 has worked well for me ,  but hubby has to take the 12.5.  W/O  the Ambien CR he will go  days with no sleep to the point of exhaustion,  then sleep for 12-15 hours. Zolpidem is the generic version and is not double release. It puts you to sleep and if you are lucky ,  you stay that way because it wears off quicker.  The CR  gives you two doses, really.  One puts you to sleep,  then the second releases to help keep you asleep. With just plain Ambien ( not the CR Version) or the generic Zolpidem,  hubby  only gets 2 1/2 to 3 hours sleep,  then he is wide awake.  He does take Atripla.  You might do better on the lesser dosage of Ambien Cr or  just the Zolpedem or plain Ambien which also comes in 2 dosage sizes.  Discuss it with your doctor.  Sleep problems are common with Atripla. Sometimes Amitriptyline ( generic for Elavil)  is used instead of Ambien to help you get to sleep if you think the Ambien is making you edgy. It is usually used as an anti depressant.  It  comes in many doses sizes.  Again ASK  your doctor.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:20 AM »
I was on ambien (non cr) for 2.5 months, stopped cold turkey.  If anything, I found that my focus and morning feelings were BETTER after I gave it up.  I'd look at the second part.
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

nychope1

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:08:25 AM »
Second night off ambien and better this morning. The Atripla seems to knock me out at night at the moment. Thanks for the feedback. I also did a search here for ambien threads and quite a few came up. Best to all...

Offline randym431

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
I was on ambien CR too, for a while. I felt it was VERY dangerous. Ambien knocks you our within 20 minutes. When I used the non-CR version, after on it for 2-3 weeks, it worked less and less. I'd fall asleep really fast, but wake up 3-4 hours later and could not get back to sleep. Then I went on the CR version and I slept better-longer, but Ambien changes ones personality. I became really mean and short tempered on ambien. I was snipping at everyone. I had the personality of a bill collector. I simple had to stop ambient. It takes about 3 days to get and feel back to normal after stopping ambient CR.
And if I took ambient one or two days, and skipped it the next day, I could not sleep at all. It was like some caffein high. Like I had drank 10 cups of strong coffee. So taking it "AS NEEDED" is not really an option.

If you google ambient or the CR version, you read all the nightmares people on it went thru. Some stories are fully, like one lady sleep walking (I guess thats a common side effect of ambient) that woke up shopping at walmart in her night gown. Or other people that woke up driving their car miles away from home.

But I would never adjust or stop hiv meds to accommodate ambient. I'd stop the ambient.
Now I just take one round Tylenol  PM tab (when needed) and that seems to help.
But sleep aids like tylenol PM and the other generic brands seem to hang on and make you feel tired after 8 hours.
However, ambient also started hanging on and making me feel slow and tired for some 10-15 hours.

Working nights, sleeping during the day is a real problem. Its hard to find something that works and does not hang on later in the day.
And I can see how Michel Jackson got to the point where he needed to be medically knocked out to get his sleep.
I can't imagine the sleeping issues he must have had trying to sleep.
I don't have to face 10,000 screaming fans, or try to come down after performing before 10,000 fans.
And I have enough problems sleeping in my little world, already. I can't imagine what he went thru trying to sleep.
But I can easily see how he got to that point of wanting to be knocked out by Anesthesiologist. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:13:59 AM by randym431 »

nychope1

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
Thanks Randy..  Ambien also makes me very edgy and snippy after a while. They don't recommend taking more than seven days.
I was on it for two weeks and stopped the forth night into taking Atripla. The perfect storm! Not a good night and worse that morning but all is well now.
Glad I am off the ambien now and the Atripla seems to be helping me sleep at the moment. I am really enjoying some of the dreams I am having too. The less pills the better I say.
Cheers..

Offline roy100

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
Ambien is not recommended for depress people, its contraindicated.
Atripla causes brain effects also, in some people  with depression, they have to switch medications.

The 2 of them combined , just imagine what can do to your depression !

Try other sleep medication.
I take clonazepan.

I am not on atripla due to its brain effects.
Greetings
Roy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:19:01 AM by roy100 »
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.