POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631537
  • Total Topics: 47803
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New HIV Eradication Study in Progress  (Read 3184 times)

Offline surf18

Re: New HIV Eradication Study in Progress
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »
Our prayers will be answered shortly! Every day there is something new!

Offline J220

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:07:22 AM »
What a wonderful day it will be...I dare dream it, and can only imagine the joy for all of us.....!
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »
Interleukin 7 has been kicking around for years as a drug. Its actually a human protein.    I don't love cancer research applied to anti-viral research -- but OK its worth a shot.

I am encouraged that there are tests on humans with HIV with the goal HIV eradication.  That alone is good news.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:25 AM »
It's coming I just know it is!!

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:54:05 AM »
mecch:  Actually cancer research is very much a potential avenue for finding ways to cure HIV.  One primary avenue of cancer research is to develop cytotoxins that recognize malignant cells.  Some of the markers of cell distress are common to HIV infected macrophages.  Some new cancer drugs might also be toxic to latently infected HIV cells, providing a path to eradication... smart bombs.

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:42:40 PM »
Fingers and toes are crossed for more and more cure research and funding NOW!!
My partner has just finished cancer treatment - a 6 week course of radiotherapy following throat surgery.
Reading the stats for poz people developing virus based cancers is depressing - I just hope that developments in research can offer all of us hope for the future.

Other side-effects I can sort of deal with mentally but cancer is NOT good.
At all.
btw he has been given good success odds but life will never be the same again.
Please get closer to that cure!

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
PS when they talk about that angle for a cure they are talking about treating the latent reservoirs with HAART and eradicating the virus which would allow us to stop taking the meds -
but won't we still have a lower CD4 count and supressed immunity, with higher risk factors for cancer?

do CD4's rebound if there is no HIV present or has the damage already been done?
Mine dipped to 220 before I went onto treatment so maybe mine will never get back up to normal levels? Can stem cells offer some chance of harvesting new CD4 cells to boost immunity?

Haven't heard of that approach - maybeI'm thinking too far into the future.
Immune therapy though might be more promising - if it was safe to do so I would certainly be taking the HPV vaccine to prevent anal / oral cancers etc.
As yet it is a preventative vaccine AND even if it were therapeutic, it might not be safe for poz people to take - but let's hope steps are being taken towards that research....

Cancer get out of my life!!!

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »
Interleukin 7 has been kicking around for years as a drug. Its actually a human protein.    I don't love cancer research applied to anti-viral research -- but OK its worth a shot.

I am encouraged that there are tests on humans with HIV with the goal HIV eradication.  That alone is good news.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20030917/local/new-treatment-may-flush-out-hidden-aids-virus

The blurb in POZ makes reference to "a new phase II" study.  What happened to the OLD phase II study?  And what was Phase I?  What is Phase III in a study?  IL-7 was apparently old news seven years ago.
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.