POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631551
  • Total Topics: 47805
  • Online Today: 256
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Getting Closer Studies Take Aim at Eradicating the Virus  (Read 2582 times)

Offline ElZorro

Getting Closer Studies Take Aim at Eradicating the Virus
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
Interesting read about a study that is addressing the reservoirs...wish them luck!

http://www.thebody.com/content/treat/art58711.html

Offline tednlou2

Re: Getting Closer Studies Take Aim at Eradicating the Virus
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
I got to thinking about something over the weekend.  Would it be very unlikely to hear news of a cure or functional cure out of the blue?  Or, would we all know in advance that researchers were getting closer and closer with news coming out that a cure was eminent? 

I guess what I'm asking is whether it is possible there could be researchers close to a cure, but they just haven't been very public about their work so no one knows about it. 

Offline surf18

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
completly out of the blue.thats how i see it. there is so much going on we dont know about.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
The good news is that its going to happen. This research (posted on earlier threads) discusses how the Israelis have already eradicated HIV in the lab. Knowing they can do it is step one...figuring out how to syndicate it is step 2, making it a viable treatment for the masses is the step we're all waiting for:

http://www.aidsrestherapy.com/content/7/1/31

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
Are you all serious? That is awesome news!

You are right tednlou that there is much less media attention on HIV advances than in the past.

I'm not a conspiracy theory believer, but... if you were living in a city where they were doing the research and researchers had just completed their study checking safety in humans, and you KNEW the researchers personally, but the paper was not published yet, do you think you might be the first non-study participant to get treated?!

Someone out there will have to be the first one! Why not you / me / my partner/ my friend / hehe...
;)

I worry about the bit El Zorro where you mention making it a viable treatment for the masses - are you meaning cost-wise? or logistically? Obviously we can't all go through treatment that the Berlin man did! (and wouldn't want to if there were much easier but equally effective options)

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:25:16 AM »
I own stock in the company that invented perifosine.  It is being tested for multiple types of cancer.  I believe it has been mentioned here before, but a couple weeks back some additional results were published here.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2948033/

Perisofine is one of several compounds of the type mentioned in the article, that induce apoptosis in HIV infected cells.  Another is miltefosine which they also invented and have since sold. 

This is a chemo drug so it does have some nasty side effects, mostly gastrointestinal.  Funny how the company and research press seem to gloss over those, but I've researched on cancer forums to get a bigger picture.  However this paragraph does imply the approach taken here may have some possibilities to actually be tested in patients.  I should add miltefosine was approved long ago and perifosine is in phase III trials.

The ALP compounds investigated in this study are known to be well-tolerated in various pre-clinical trials [24] and to do little harm in normal cells in various in vitro models; this could be due to the fact that normal cells do not activate the PI3K/Akt pathway unless they are exposed to extracellular insults. Importantly, many studies, especially from anti-Leishmania research, demonstrated that ALP compounds are effectively able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier (BBB) [25], [26]. Considering that HIV-1 infected macrophages and microglia in the brain play a key role in HAND, this BBB penetration feature of ALP compounds is very important in terms of their potential clinical application. However, it is clear that further investigations and evaluations of the ALP compounds as anti-HIV agents need to be conducted.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:01:05 AM by MitchMiller »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.