and here's an acronym to boot: WTFATT

smiteler:
excuse my french,BUT
i think going by a cd4 number to rate one's ability to work
is pure bullshit to begin with!!! :-[
it now looks like they will put you on disability only
if you can't get out of a hospital bed! :o

i have seen my work skills erode to the point of
having to change my path drasticly and my cd4 rides around 640.
as i mutter to myself, must vote
out every single pos incumbent in office!

leatherman:
why do you say distressing? the meds have greatly changed the progression of HIV to AIDS, and turning up positive is no longer the guaranteed death sentence in was pre-1995. Nowadays, someone testing positive can get onto the "newer" ARVs like Atripla and possibly deal with few if any side effects. There are plenty of stories here of people hospitalized with OIs and <100 tcells who recover within months and go on back to living as they were, just now taking a medication daily. True some might still have health problems - but are they disabling health issues? These proposed changes say they will give several yrs worth of recovery time being covered before being re-evaluated. It also says it will add more issues dealing with the long term effects as qualifiers.

This seems actually like a good story that recognizes the 30 yrs of change and improving treatment.
In the beginning HIV was a death sentence.
The first meds changed it to a disability.
Now improved meds are changing it to a chronic illness.

smiteler:

--- Quote from: leatherman on September 22, 2010, 12:19:25 AM ---why do you say distressing? the meds have greatly changed the progression of HIV to AIDS, and turning up positive is no longer the guaranteed death sentence in was pre-1995. Nowadays, someone testing positive can get onto the "newer" ARVs like Atripla and possibly deal with few if any side effects. There are plenty of stories here of people hospitalized with OIs and <100 tcells who recover within months and go on back to living as they were, just now taking a medication daily. True some might still have health problems - but are they disabling health issues? These proposed changes say they will give several yrs worth of recovery time being covered before being re-evaluated. It also says it will add more issues dealing with the long term effects as qualifiers.

This seems actually like a good story that recognizes the 30 yrs of change and improving treatment.
In the beginning HIV was a death sentence.
The first meds changed it to a disability.
Now improved meds are changing it to a chronic illness.

--- End quote ---

i find it very distressing because you could lose
your ability to work and if your numbers
don't add up, you could be very easily sol...

tednlou2:
If I read this correctly, the new proposed rules would require a person to have a CD4 of 50 before being able to get disability unless they had other issues mentioned??  We all know it can take up to 2 years and sometimes longer to get approved.  If a person couldn't apply until they had a documented count of 50, waiting around a few years for benefits would be terrible and cruel.  

I also wonder about people who would be reviewed--which is about every 3 years I believe.  If you do well on meds and get above their number, then it seems the disability would be stopped.  While it would be great for the improved health, I wonder what happens to someone who has been out of the job market for many years.  It would be hard to get a job again after several years on disability.  It would take a very good employer to not be afraid you've been out of work too long and may develop more health issues.  And, just because the numbers are looking better wouldn't necessarily mean the person now feels great and ready for work again.  I'm sure many would want to get back to work, but others would still be disabled regardless of the gain in CD4 counts.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version