POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 09:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640744
  • Total Topics: 48671
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Risk Assessment  (Read 4762 times)

Offline NiceAznGuy

HIV Risk Assessment
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
Hello, I have been reading posts in this forum for the past few weeks and decided to become a member to vent my concerns. I went to two different KTV/Massage parlors and had sex with two different women on different dates not far apart from each other. When I asked them of their HIV status, they explained to me that they have mandatory HIV testing each month, testing for various STD's each week, and a doctor on site to perform the routine testing. They also explained that if they were sick, they could not work. My primary concern is the things that I did with these women. Both instances are alike, so I'll just describe everything that occurred during the first sexual encounter. Each female gave me an unprotected blowjob. I performed unprotected deep oral sex and rimming on both women. I also fingered each woman and on the first encounter, I had a tiny amount of peeled skin on my finger nail. It was not bleeding. It just hurt when I touched it. I also tasted my fingers with vaginal fluid on them after fingering. After the instances of unprotected oral sex and fingering, we started to have condom protected sex. When I got back from my vacation, I went to get an oraquick advance HIV test at a local health clinic. This was about 31-32 after these two incidents. It came back negative. I have a few questions in regards to these sexual encounters. I have read through other posts, but I just wanted to vent out the things that have been going through my mind for the past few weeks. I apologize in advance if my risk was not a risk at all. Thank you all for being such a supportive community.

Here are my questions: Was I at risk for HIV transmission? Was HIV testing necessary at all based on the situation(s) provided?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: HIV Risk Assessment
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
There was, as I am sure you know (having read the forums), absolutely no risk for HIV infection in the actions you note in your post. Absolutely none.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
Thanks for your swift response jkinatl2! Another question...I remember reading about the fluids that are high up in the vaginal canal having the most prevalence of HIV. Even when fingering and licking those fluids, my risk is still zero? HIV testing was not even necessary in my scenario correct? Thanks again!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
You know how many lesbians get infected every year? Yeah, about zero. And those that do, have shot frugs or had unprotected sex with men.

Thing is, they are totally OFF the radar when it comes to HIV infection. There is NO danger there at all.

Lick all you want, finger all she allows. You Can. Not. Get HIV from that.

Look at the lesbian profile for HIV. Hell, it was lesbians who, for the most part, took CARE of gay men in the 1980s. Because they were the only ones left standing.

You DO NOT get HIV from fingering or cunnilingus.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
Thanks jkinatl2! So it's safe to say that no risk = there was never any need for HIV testing? After my exposures, I had the oraquick advance test done at 31-32 days. I primarily had one out of fear. It may not been conclusive based on the time frame, but since I was never at risk, I assume it is safe to say I am free of HIV? I just don't want to have to dish out another $72 for another rapid test at the three month mark.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Wow, I had no idea they were that expensive. In most places, a local health clinic offers testing for free, or at most twenty-five dollars or so.

If you had actually HAD a risk (unprotected vaginal or anal sex) you dort of threw away the %72 bucks, as the test would not have been considered reliable after only 32 days, even the more advanced tests.

You had no exposures, and did not - and do not - need to test for HIV over this. Other STDs can be transmitted far more easily, and can even be transmitted when a condom is properly worn. I always urge people who are sexually active to get a full STD panel, including an HIV test, at least once a year.

You owe it to yourself and the people you are with to do that, even if it costs. I am certain you would want your sexual partners to monitor their status, after all.

Welcome Thread

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »
Thanks again jkinatl2! Yeah, I was going to ask about people that have reported that they were infected through oral sex, but I did more reading through previous threads and found out what I needed to find out. I'm glad that this type of forum exists to not only educate, but also to alleviate fears that people do have in regards to HIV. I'm happy that I was never at risk! Thank you and thank all the staff here at aidsmeds! God bless!

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
Hello, I am getting married in the next few months and with all the responses that were given previously, I have been able to have some comfort in knowing that I was at no risk for HIV in the encounter that I noted in my very first post. I seem to still be having some anxiety in regards to the situation and I keep thinking that there might be a possibility that I was infected. I've read through other threads and have seen other members of this forum post about people who have claimed to be infected through oral sex alone. I also wanted to ask, was there ever anyone in this forum that reported unprotected oral sex (giving and receiving) that tested positive? Second, how current is the scientific data that you all use to help assess our concerns. I'm not challenging anyone who gives responses to members, I'm just curious about it. I think I really need to move on from this and get back to planning the wedding. Thanks again for your time and concerns.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »
You're still searching around for fuel to feed your unwarranted concerns. Cut it out. That's bad for your peace of mind.

We do advise that anyone who's been sexually active to regularly have a full STD panel done. And for partners who are committed to monogamy in a secure relationship, it's a good idea to get tested together to be reassured both are free of any STDs.

Otherwise I don't see any cause for concern on your part about HIV at this point. I can assure you that if you continue to search around on the web or wherever for more whats ifs and have you evers, you're going to find material to unnecesarrily feed  your fears. Like I said, cut it out.   
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »
NAG,

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. And yes, this information is current.

Just because someone might claim to have been infected through oral doesn't make it true and these cases usually do not stand up under scrutiny. And by the way, it's usually men who give blowjobs to other men who make these claims. You never see women claiming it.

And if you want to know the details of why cunnilingus isn't a risk, read on.

Hiv transmission doesn't stand a chance of happening via female genitals to mouth - there are just too many obstacles on the oral route.

The first obstacle is the mouth itself. The mouth is a veritable fortress, standing against all sorts of pathogens we come into contact with every minute of our lives. It's a very hostile environment and saliva has been shown to contain over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv.

Hiv is a very fragile virus - literally. Its outer surface doesn't take kindly to changes in its preferred environment; slight changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all damage the outer surface. Importantly, it needs this outer surface to be intact before it can latch onto a few, very specific cell types and infect. 

Which leads to the second obstacle. Hiv can only latch onto certain types of cells, cells which are not found in abundance in the mouth.

The third obstacle to transmission this way is having hiv present in the first place. The female secretion where hiv has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid. This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have yet to discover one shred of evidence (and believe me, I've looked) that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more hiv present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids.

So there you have it. Once the results of the serodiscordant studies started rolling in, what we know about hiv transmission on the cellular level was validated. The only people who were getting infected were those who had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Period. One of the three studies went on for ten years and involved hundreds of couples. That's a lot of nookie.

Furthermore, I have first hand experience with this. I was in a relationship with an hiv negative man for over eight years, during which time I was not on meds and always had a detectable viral load. We engaged in oral both ways and he remained hiv negative. All we needed to do to protect his negative status was to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse.

And that's all you need to do too.

Ann
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:55:34 PM by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
Ann and Andy, thank you for your responses and your input in regards to how I have been feeling about this. Ann, your personal experience is solid proof that HIV does not become transmitted through unprotected oral sex. Time to focus more on the wedding planning instead of worrying over this. Thanks again and god bless!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »
I would say "have fun planning that wedding," but I know it's not that much fun that often, so how about "congrats on finding someone you love!"

Welcome Thread

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
It's been a while since I last posted, but I would like to give an update to my status. I value the advice given here on the forums and that each assessment is based on the person in contact with as positive. I stated my concerns in the past, but could not shake the feeling, so I went ahead and got retested at the 74-75 day mark at a local health department. The test was free and the results came out NEGATIVE! :) Due to the fact that it was not at the 12-13 week mark, I still wanted a conclusive result (for peace of mind of course), so I got tested again today using the oraquick advance test at a local planned parenthood. The results somewhat baffled me. As you all know the test window has a nonreactive and a reactive line. The line for nonreactive was clearly pink after the twenty minute mark, but they still drew blood from me for another screening because about a millimeter of pink showed to the right side of the reactive line. The remaining line was completely white. It really got to me, but the nurse told me that it is 90%-97% negative and that my blood work should come out negative when I call in for my results next week. Was it a false positive or am I safe to say that it is negative? It really bothered me and I have not had any sexual relations with anybody since I first posted about my concerns. Any thoughts? Thanks again to everyone who has responded in the past.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
Guy,

If you were positive, you would have tested positive at your ten and a half week test. You're not positive. No big surprise as you didn't have a risk.

There is no doubt in my mind that you have had a (very weak) false positive and I'm quite sure the blood test will confirm this. False positives can and do happen on the rapid tests.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
Thanks for such a swift response Ann! It's hard for me to shake off the fear right now. I'm getting really worried about making that phone call and hearing what I don't want to hear. Is there really any valid explanation for that millimeter of pink on the positive test line?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 07:03:48 AM »
Guy,

The only valid explanation for the pink line is this - shit happens. Sometimes shit happens with the rapid tests and they show a false positive. That's life.

The funny thing is, is that you never needed to test in the first place. You don't have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to give an update in regards to how life has been going. I recently got married in the month of May and I am loving life. I just wanted to ask the moderators a few questions about some possible risks in regards to some bachelor party fun that I had overseas.

I had sex with two massage parlor assistants. One woman on one occassion and another on two ocassions. The first encounter concerned me a bit because we had protected sex, but I became flaccid for a few moments, but became erect again. Was there any risk involved as I sort of felt the condom slip a little less than half way up the shaft of my penis?

The other two occassions did not concern me much as we were protected and even though I received a thai massage and frottage occured, I have learned through the moderators here that there is no risk involved.

Something else that got me thinking was that I got sick maybe two to three weeks after these events and it was for only a single day. I linked my one day illness to sheer exhaustion because of lack of sleep and traveling from one location to the next while overseas. I had a mild cough, fatigue, and my eyes were watery. It was literally the day before I left from the Philippines.

Did I have any risk at all? Thanks again to all the staff here at POZ forums for being so kind as to answer our questions and concerns.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
No HIV risk whatsoever.

Best of luck with your marriage!

Welcome Thread

Offline NiceAznGuy

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
Thanks jkinatl2! I got kind of freaked out when I thought about that moment when I got flaccid thinking that there may be room for vaginal fluid to enter into the condom. As for the mild fever, any thoughts on that? I do remember being in hot humid conditions, then to cold, and I always seem to get tonsillar exudate whenever I start to eat any food outside the U.S. Thanks for the best of luck on marriage. It's a process in itself to get my wife here from the Philippines!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
What's there to say about a fever? They happen for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with HIV.

HIV is not your problem and never has been. Move on with your life. You are worrying needlessly again. Really.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.