POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620616
  • Total Topics: 46759
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where Were You When The World Stop Turning?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline tednlou2

Where Were You When The World Stop Turning?
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »
Okay, I'm making fun of the Alan Jackson song about 9/11 in the title.  I thought it may be interesting to hear where you guys were on 9/11 and any other thoughts you may have.  You guys may have talked about this in year's past.

My partner had just been at the top of the WTC on Sept 10th.  We have a family member who worked at the Pentagon who had to jump out a window.  I was going through seroconversion on 9/11.  Were any of you in NY or DC or knew anyone there?  I remember reading how Family Guy creator, Seth MacFarlene was suppose to be on Flight 11 but he missed the flight by 10 minutes.

My thoughts today still focus on how inept the Bush administration was and ignored every warning and the infamous Aug 6th PDB (Presidential Daily Briefing) that basically spelled out everything that would unfold.  Bush told the briefer, "You've covered your ass."  The media and Americans have given him a pass.  I think if this happened under Clinton or Obama, they would have been run out of office.  The outgoing Clinton administration briefed them that something was in the works.  They didn't hold a single counter-terrorism meeting prior to 9/11 and got rid of Richard Clark who kept trying to warn them.  Bush was able to use 9/11 for everything including getting us into Iraq.  We were either with him or with the terrorists.  I don't buy into the theories that Bush/Cheney planned the whole thing.  However, I do wonder whether they let it happen (without taking any action) thinking of how it would benefit them.  I wouldn't put it past Cheney to do that and after all he was really the prez.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Where Were You When The World Stop Turning?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »
On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, I had just gotten released from the hospital after being admitted for 8 days with Hepatitis A.  I was staying at a friends because his house was close to the hospital.  He and his wife had left for Atlanta.  I was laying on the couch resting when the first plane hit.  At first they reported it as an accident.  As the camera was showing the damage to the first tower, a saw the second plane fly into the second tower.  That is when everyone knew it wasn't an accident but terrorism.  I just remember being in a state of shock.

Still remain shocked when I see the scenes and will never forget where I was that day.

I was supposed to be in NYC at the World Trade Center that very day and morning for the start of a three day training ironically enough on "Training of Drug Courts on Cultural Diversity" - it was a new curriculum that had been developed by the Office of Justice Programs and I had been selected to be one of three cohorts of national Trainer-of-Trainers, but had to reschedule to the next training session because of my illness.

Three months later I was in NYC for the training - which had to be held at an alternate location.  It was still very sombering to be there so soon after it had occurred and to be with the curriculum developers who had lost so many of their colleagues that day.

I will definitely never forget and am actually grateful that Hepatitis A actually saved my life lest I would have been in the towers that day.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:32:30 AM »
I didn't know anyone who was there or lost there lives. No one even remotely close, but when my sister woke me up and told me I thought she was pulling a prank on me to get me out of bed.  I'll be honest at the time, I didn't even know what the towers were.  I was 18 years old, just started dating a young soldier and planning my birthday out that was coming up. 

Within an hour though, my living room was full.  and we had another ball game to deal with all together.  Every army wife in that living room knew that the outcome of all of this was going to be war. As soon as we found out who was behind it. 

It's hard to believe actually thinking about it now that our soldiers have been overseas for so long, I didn't realize until today that it had already been 9 years. 
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »
I was in college and had woken up late for a class.  On my way to school I had the radio on and was listening in utter disbelief as they started talking about the first plane hitting.  By the time I got into my Honors Forum class every television in the school was tuned to the live footage and just a few short minutes later we saw the second plane hit the building.  I had absolutely no idea that what I was seeing was a terrorist event until that second plane hit and we realized the first one wasn't an accident.  It's so strange that ten years later I can still remember the shock at watching foreign terrorism unfold on American soil.

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:21 AM »
Every year the students at Pepperdine University put up flags for the people who died that day.  There are flags from many countries represented though US flags are by far the majority.  It's pretty moving from two perspectives, one lost among the forest of flags and the other standing back and taking it all in.  It reminds me a lot of the Names Project Quilt.

Here's a link to my Flickr stream (hope it works:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25058954@N06
3/8 CD4: 495, 31%, VL UD
2/1 CD4: 564, 20%.VL UD, switching to Issentress & truvada
10/11 CD4: 446, 29%, VL UD
7/11 CD4: 873, 35%, VL UD
4/11 CD4: 573, 34% VL 0
12/10 CD4: 405, 30% VL UD
9/10 CD4: 416, 31% VL UD
5/10 CD4: 393, 29% VL: UD
02/10 CD4: 423, 37% VL: UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started Atripla
5/09 CD4: 326, 16%  VL:125000
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:09:36 AM »
I flew from Newark to DC that morning for a meeting -- landed about when the planes took off.   The meeting started but staff kept bringing notes up to the front of the room and eventually the woman leading the meeting got up and left the room to find a place with a window. 

She was shaken.  She came back and told us the US was under attack.  A plane had crashed into the Pentagon.

We were 4 blocks from the White House.

We left and tried to walk to the train station. 

It was a spectacularly beautiful late summer day -- the humidity had broken.  There were almost no clouds in the sky.  And there were people walking everywhere --as if it were a festival.

But smoke was rising from the Pentagon.  Fighter jets were overhead.  The streets were full of cars that were not moving.  And there were rumours -- a bomb at the State Department, a jet aimed at the White House or the Capitol.

We walked past building after building with federal employees out on the grass, turned left by the huge Department of Labor building to go to the train.  It was sunny, blue skies and people seated in front of the buildings as if it were a park.  It all felt so incongruous. 

We got to the train station as they announced all rail travel was suspended.  We walked 12 blocks back to the small DC office we had.
That's when we saw the pictures on TV, hours later.

The company I worked for had over a thousand people in the towers; most made it out and home. 

But over 100 died. 

I was very friendly with one -- we worked together for almost two decades.  We battled out technical issues, shared roses from our gardens, she helped me with a roach problem, I helped her with her divorce settlement.

I knew and was friendly with several others.  One of them died while he was on the phone with my boss -- there were no remains -- his wife refused to believe he died and eventually  had to be institutionalized.

In the days after, after some of the news I'd turn off the radio as I drove into work and pull off the highway into the median.   The cops left us alone.  There were a lot of us.

I would come home from work and read the NYtimes portraits in grief.  You couldn't not .

My office was miles away from NYC -- too far to see the skyline -- except, before all this happened, sometimes when it was exceptionally clear you could see two faint thin lines.  Usually you could not see anything.  But for the week after 9/11 you could see clouds -- there and downwind.

And in the part of NJ where I live every train station had a few cars that stayed at the station for weeks.  Every town had a school with fresh orphans.  There's not many here who will ever, ever forgive George Bush for thinking Al Quaeda was one of those "Clinton issues"
  It is still pretty raw.

Today was another one of those beautiful late summer days.

I wish it had rained.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »
I was three miles from the World Trade Center (detest the phrase Ground Zero).  I had just gone on unemployment 1.5 weeks before this after being laid off my job, a job which had I been working I'd have been about 0.75 miles away from the WTC, and my subway to work would have passed directly under the WTC at 8:50 AM.

So, anywho, I was in bed still when the first plane hit but one of my best friends worked for UPS management at the airport so he called me and woke me up just as my roommate was screaming about the second plane.  My roommate, up until 2 years previous to 2001, had been working at Wild Blue, which was the smaller component to the Windows on the World restaurant, but since she never worked a morning shift she didn't really know any of the people that died in the restaurant, though of course she knew people that knew people.

When I had out of town visitors I could take them to Windows or Wild Blue for a private view instead of doing the tourist observatory deck.

Hmmm what else.  Well, obviously it was a very disturbing day when you live so close and could actually see and smell the plume of ash and human flesh wafting through your living room window. And a few days later I was out of some med and had to go to the West Village to get it -- city was deserted, and all of that nastiness was floating in the air and everyone was wearing masks.  I don't think I wore one but I wasn't outside that long, though I did walk down Christopher Street to the West Side Highways and see all of the clean up trucks, firemen and people cheering them on, and the view was very eery there as it was my first time really seeing the skyline lacking two large towers.

During the anthrax threats the month after that I saw three people jump in front of oncoming subway cars and kill themselves -- I can't tell you how uncool that is.  Mind the gap!  And you folks wonder why I moved away from NYC.

Oh, and for extra credit I lived in NYC during the first WTC bombing, and worked on the 14th floor of a building that faced south on Union Square.  That wasn't a cool day either.  I also knew about al Qaeda before most people because a plan was disrupted in 1997 where they were going to bomb Atlantic Avenue subway/terminal station, which is the second largest in number of lines after Times Square.  Luck would have it that lived a mere two subway stops from that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:05:49 AM by Miss Philicia »
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:06:14 AM »
I was in a B&B in Limerick.  Had spent the morning driving around with my bf.  The hostess told us when we were checking in.  We cried watching it on TV.  

The next days in Ireland, i was surprised that the Irish media always gave such a high figure for "Irish dead".  Surely there couldn't be that many Irishman in those buildings?  Then I realised that anyone of Irish heritage was considered an "Irish" dead person - not just Irish citizens.  I realised the power of the "diaspora" mentality and was touched.

We slunk around depressed for a day or two not ready to enjoy our holiday together.  Then one day we got a flat and pulled up to a house. The most handsome, charming, sexy, generous, strong, clear-headed, intelligent young man I ever met in my entire life, came out of his family's house and welcomed us in. He fixed our car, made us sea snails, gave us a tour of his life and family by the pictures and awards all over the living room, and then waved goodbye.  

He was so full of life and good energy it was the antidote to the gloom we felt over the news, and we went on to a lovely holiday.
ďFrom each, according to his ability; to each, according to his needĒ 1875 K Marx

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
I was in a B&B in Limerick.  Had spent the morning driving around with my bf.  The hostess told us when we were checking in.  We cried watching it on TV.  

The next days in Ireland, i was surprised that the Irish media always gave such a high figure for "Irish dead".  Surely there couldn't be that many Irishman in those buildings?  Then I realised that anyone of Irish heritage was considered an "Irish" dead person - not just Irish citizens.  I realised the power of the "diaspora" mentality and was touched.

We slunk around depressed for a day or two not ready to enjoy our holiday together.  Then one day we got a flat and pulled up to a house. The most handsome, charming, sexy, generous, strong, clear-headed, intelligent young man I ever met in my entire life, came out of his family's house and welcomed us in. He fixed our car, made us sea snails, gave us a tour of his life and family by the pictures and awards all over the living room, and then waved goodbye.  

He was so full of life and good energy it was the antidote to the gloom we felt over the news, and we went on to a lovely holiday.

Nothing like a sexy lad to cure what ails you. Thank God you were able to enjoy your "lovely" holiday.

I was up watching the horror unfold in real time on CNN. It was beyond shocking. I was in a near panic trying to reach friends I had in NYC.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »
I don't have an interesting 9/11 story and didn't know anyone directly affected. I do vividly remember  watching the entire thing on television, from when they first reported there was a fire in one of the towers and there were reports that a plane might have hit it. I think I started to really go into panic mode when everyone realized there were several hijacked planes and they were not sure where they were headed. I was never worried about my personal safety-- one of the advantages of living no place special-- but not knowing who else was in danger had me on edge. Fortunately my partner, the flight attendant, was in a hotel in Rome so I knew he was safe. He was actually stuck there for days, which was no great sacrifice.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »

My ex-wife and I were still together at the time.  We had this quaint little condo in Miramar, Florida and were still trying to adjust with having a newborn.  I worked two jobs- manager for a bakery and dispatcher for a limousine service.  That day I was only scheduled to work at the limo company and took advantage of it by sleeping in a bit.  As usual, I turned on the TV and proceeded to make a pot of coffee (I did the same this morning).  I was in the kitchen and noticed the TV was on a news report, it looked like a building was on fire or something.  While I was making my cup of joe I could hear something about a plane crashing.  This is about the time it really got my attention and it was at this time I got to see the second plane hit.

I could not believe what I was seeing.

I called the dispatch office and Mack my supervisor answered the phone.  I could tell he was upset, near tears I gathered.  At this point no one knew what was going on.  Mack told me there were other planes in the air that were possibly hijacked.  That day we were supposed to handle a huge convention at the Mandarin Hotel with the GlaxoSK and Merck groups, so Mack asked if I could come in early because he didn't know what would be happening.

When I got into work the airports were all closed.  My dispatch screen was completely clear, absolutely no flight info or code 5's designating jobs complete.  Instead of seeing the 100+ cars on my screen that would normally be out that day there were only 8.  Those 8 drivers were all code 4 (en-route with customer to destination) to New York!!  I looked again and I asked Mack to confirm if I was understanding it correctly-are we really sending drivers to NY?  We were, it was the only way businessmen who had flown into Miami earlier could get back home.  Instead of intercity dispatches everything was heading out of state to either pick someone up or to get them home.

Everyone in the dispatch office cried that day, it was just so unbelievable.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
I had a 9:00 am doctors appointment for minor surgery on my knee.  So I arrived a few minutes early and sat in the waiting room for my appointment.  Usually,  there was a TV in the waiting room but it was broken that day.

So I waited and waited and waited and no one came to get me.  Finally at about 10:15 I started to complain to the receptionist about the wait.   She kinda gave me a dumb look,  and said it shouldn't be much longer (all the time she was aware what was going on and said nothing).

Then finally around 10:40 they brought me into the examining room to wait for the doctor.  Oddly, there was a boom box on and I heard Peter Jennings voice coming out saying "....... you see the smoke coming from where the North Tower used to be...".   What????   At that moment the doctor walks in to start the surgery and explained what happened to me.  They had all been watching on their TV the whole time,  ( hence the wait) and no one thought to clue me in about it.

During the procedure I started crying,  and the doc kept stopping thinking he was hurting me,  but the only pain I felt was emotional.

So I was probably one of the last people in the country to find out.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff G

• Global Moderator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »
I was living in San Diego at the time and going through some tough personal issues . I cried that day for somebody else , it was a turning point for me .

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
I was in a hotel cafe in Angers, France. We had just checked in and were having a late lunch. We were the only customers in the cafe as the lunch rush had previously ended.

Our waiter had reasonably good English and took our order. A few minutes later, he came out of the kitchen, from which we could hear a telly or radio playing. The waiter was visibly agitated and suddenly lost his command of the English language. He mimed the message to us - one hand acting as the plane, his other arm acting as the tower. He said "Plane". "World Trade Center". "Bang". "Tragedy."

We hurriedly ate our lunch and went back upstairs to our hotel room and switched on the telly. All stations were carrying the news and using live feeds from the US, but as soon as the American broadcasters began speaking, a French broadcaster would begin a voice-over in French and we couldn't hear what the Americans were saying.

It was so horrible watching what was unfolding but not being able to make much sense of what was really going on. We were stunned and numbed. It wasn't until the next day when I was able to find an English language newspaper at the train station that we knew the full horror of what had happened.

The shock, fear and uncertainty I felt that day and in the days after took me back, emotionally, to how I felt seven months earlier when I was diagnosed with hiv. Unlike Meech, that day tainted the rest of our holiday through the Loire Valley.

I can't tell you how much it pissed me off that in the aftermath, the French were ostracised and blamed and made fun of. Freedom fries indeed. I was in France at the time and I can tell you first hand of the care and concern the French showed. Everywhere we went that week, as soon as people found out I was an American they went out of their way to express their shock and grief. Fucking freedom fries. Give me a break.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »
.................I can tell you first hand of the care and concern the French showed. Everywhere we went that week, as soon as people found out I was an American they went out of their way to express their shock and grief. Fucking freedom fries. Give me a break.

A friend of mine was in France at the same time and had the exact same experience.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
I was finishing up the paper work on my new place in Albuquerque, NM, and just got the keys to it, and then was on my way back to Sacramento, Ca. to give my 30 day notice to move out of the place I was renting there, so I could pack up everything I owned to move to  Albuquerque, NM into my new place
a month later I left Nor-Cal FOR GOOD and never even looked back at that god awfull over-priced expensive as hell place to live, fast-forward 9 yrs later, I still live in good ole inexpensive Albuquerque, NM  ;D
yaeh that's right, I LOVE THIS PLACE  ;) so  on 9/11/2001 I actually did myself a huge favor, by moving, and having a much better life for it 9 yrs later ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:13:51 AM by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Unlike Meech, that day tainted the rest of our holiday through the Loire Valley.
The bad news sunk in day after day for weeks. The point was that there was life and energy and new experiences and the future all around, in that moment, concurrently - this made it beautiful. Lovely.

You and Dachshund maybe read it as callousness -- sad for you. 
ďFrom each, according to his ability; to each, according to his needĒ 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
The bad news sunk in day after day for weeks. The point was that there was life and energy and new experiences and the future all around, in that moment, concurrently - this made it beautiful. Lovely.

Or maybe you were so selfish and caught up in your own little world.  Hey what ya know !?!?!  same behavior we witness here.  Sad you don't realize it.  So did the robbers help with your hoarding issue or what?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:24 PM »
I was at work (Wells Fargo) in suburban Washington DC that morning.  The local news reports indicated a plane had crashed at Camp David and at that point the staff was told to go home for the day.  I do remember the US fighter jets flying over the metro area quite a bit during the week that followed.  Memories of that day will never fade no matter how old I grow.  Just two years prior to that I was still working for NASDAQ and was in NYC every week during our merger with the American Stock Exchange which is just blocks from the World Trade Center site and stayed at the Millennium Hotel many times while in NYC.  I had many friends who were in that area during the attacks and the stories I heard from them were just horrific.  

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
Skeebo, I hadnt realised that I had earned another hater.  Your comment personally attacts my character, and also drags up off-topic shit. I'm surprised at you.  But oh well, please keep to the topic and leave my personal character out of things. You have my PM if the need moves you.

The recent event that left me stunned and angry, cynical and despondant was the Hurricane Katrina evacuation nightmare. I was in a foul mood for weeks, and even still.  

9/11 was a so called "Black Swan Event"
see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

The response to black swan events is to be resilient to the fact that unexpected and unimaginable things can lead to momentous changes.  

This is related to the idea that terror wins if it makes you afraid and curtails your freedom to see beauty and good in a world that throws evil at you.  

The Hurricane Katrina evacuation was an outlier and yet predictable and preventable. The reaction to that can only be a laborious attention to repairing the damage and building a better more equitable society.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »

Well, you can stop being sad because I didn't read it as callousness. It's not all about you, after all. I guess that's more to the point.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
First, I too detest the phrase "ground zero".  This is the first time I've heard anyone else express the same feeling.  

I worked at 45th street and 3rd avenue in those days.  I usually got on the subway near my home in Brooklyn at around 8:30 but that morning I was late and I dashed onto the subway as it was in the station when I arrived.  Here's the weird thing: the tops of the twin towers were visible from the platform (it's an elevated station) where I waited for the subway every morning.  If I had stood waiting, what would I have seen?  

When I got to my classroom my students were plugging in a radio and over the next few hours I suppose my experience was the same as that of everyone else who heard about it on the radio.  But when after several emotional hours (all the students wanted to call their families but the phones weren't working well) we finally decided to close the school, we went outside to be greeted by the strangest thing.  Facing north from 45th street, all we saw was beautiful blue sky; facing south, complete blackness.  Traffic wasn't moving, and crowds in the street were so thick it took two hours or more to walk ten blocks.  One woman was standing in the street shouting "this is pay-back for a whole lot of stuff this country has done over the years..." and on the subway (when the subway was finally running again) there was one lady screaming about her fears, but almost everyone else on the streets and in the subway were calm and extremely gentle.  St. Thomas church was packed and they were saying the great litany.  The subway ride home took hours.  I didn't get through to my mother on the phone until evening.  I smelled that horrible smell for days--from the middle of Brooklyn!--and the columns of smoke were visible from my subway station for weeks afterwards.  

By the way, there was a lot of discussion of the emotional impact of watching the planes fly into the towers on tv.  I don't own a tv and am probably one of the only people in the world who never saw the images.  But the next morning (we decided after a great deal of debate to open school the next day) the subway was almost empty and I sat next to a man who had the New York Times open, and of course it was filled with gruesome pictures.  That was when the full horror of what had happened sunk in for me and I felt nauseated both by the pictures and by the reality.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:19:02 PM by Nestor »
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in rush hour I35 in Austin headed to my exes house to take care of the little one who was sick that day. I remember hearing about the first plane and thinking "wow what a horrible accident", but then when I heard about the 2nd plane I was shocked and in disbelief, I remember seeing the same look on the poeple in the cars next to me.

A few minutes later I talked to my mom, who was working at an Air Force base in San aNtonio, and she said they were locked down and not allowed to leave their desks as the base was getting all of its planes off the ground in case of an attack on the base.  At that point I knew that the situation was bigger than I could ever imagine.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%
8/9/12, CD4 not taken, UD.
2/13/12, CD4- 904, UD 42%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
It was evening here.

I was living futher west at the time. My then partner and I sat on the bed and watched the thing transpire live on telly. The first tower had just collapsed and it had a sickening sense of unreality about it.

Until the second tower went down. Then it was real.

It's a thing I remember with dreadful vividness.

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
Well, you can stop being sad because I didn't read it as callousness. It's not all about you, after all. I guess that's more to the point.
OK cool  ;D

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »

I got home from work that morning, around 7:15.  And I was doing what I normally do. I fixed myself something to eat, and turned on the computer, figured I check my email etc.

I think I was on dial up at that time, and I remember around the time the first plane hit, that the internet seemed to bog down.  In fact, it had bogged down so bad and was so slow( something that I hadn't experienced before), that I turned the computer off, and turned on TV.  That's when the first bulletin reports were coming in, that a "small plane " had hit one of the towers.  I was like everyone else, glued to the TV, and then, the second plane hit. I knew at that point we were under attack.  Then the pentagon, was struck, and wondering where the forth plane was going to hit. I watched both towers go down that morning  Even though I worked that previous night, I didn't sleep at all that day, Like I said, I was glued to the TV, wondering how the hell this could happen, and who was asleep.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of April 14, 2014,  t-cells are at 485 Viral load unknown @ this time

Current % is at 14% (L)

62 years young.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
I was driving into work when the first plane hit (listening to NPR) and called my ex at the time.  The second plane hit sometime between when I parked and arrived at my desk.  We stayed glued to the tv at work until lunchtime or so and then went home.  That was the first time I cried over a national event (the second being Obama's election).  I was due to go to South Africa the following day but that was then delayed several days because of the travel restrictions/issues.  

I didn't have any connections to New York City at the time.  

I had just broken up with my bf because I was due to leave Texas.  I remember feeling very alone going through 9/11 by myself and crying at the CNN crawl (which I think was started then).  So many dead.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »
Also, I got laid via the internet on 12 September 2001 -- courtesy of the well hung Jamaican who also would do free Mac service calls in exchange for sex.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
I was at work, in Richmond.  Someone came into my office and told that a plane had flown into one of the WTC towers.  I thought she meant a little plane -- we walked over to a conference room that had a TV in it.  I walked in, looked at the screen and asked why both towers were smoking if a plane flew into one?  I then sat and stared at the screen until I had to go to a meeting (I didn't want to go, but......).  The meeting lasted all of 5 mins -- no one wanted to think about work.  I walked back to the conference room and the first tower was gone.  Once the second one fell, I went home and watched CNN. 
I kept trying to call a friend of mine who lived in NYC but couldn't get through.  Finally I got him late in the day and he described the surreal experience he had of walking home to Brooklyn from his midtown office.  He really helped to make it vividly real by talking about the papers floating around and walking amongst the people covered in WTC debris as he crossed the Brooklyn Bridge.
It will be a day that will stay in my mind always.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline peteb

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »
I was in bed at home in Tucson when my husband woke me up and said wake up you gotta see this I looked tv and told him he was watching a movie right then the second plane hit I went into shock it was the worse thing I have ever seen all I ever wanted to do after that was to go to New York and help but of course dint have money, Finally a couple of years ago my husband and adopted son went to New York and the first thing we did was go to see the site,It was the most amazine thing, so quiet I mean u could still hear a pin drop after 7 years ,I think I cried for the rest of the trip nothing was ever as bad
I will never forget that Trip We are going back now that we have alot more money I wanna go back to New York and to see hows things are going
prayers to all the family and friends who lost love one in this terrible act of terrosim

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 02:03:27 AM »
I was watching The Today Show that morning.  Below is the opening of Today on that morning.  I think it is interesting what was in the news that morning.  The lead story is about Michael Jordan returning to the NBA.  I've often wondered what that says for our news media.  That was the lead story.  This was when Matt still had hair and Al was still a big guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otK7c3Ushjw&feature=related

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 02:16:13 AM »
Just wanted to share this tribute with the song "Hide And Seek" by Imogen Heap--one of my favorite songs.  This does contain images from that day with close-ups of people jumping.  That is something I will never forget about that day.  Fortunately, it does NOT contain pictures of the bodies on the ground.  A friend sent me some of those he got off google and didn't warn me.  I don't think I would have opened those if he had told me. 

To what Ann said-- I will never forget the images of people in Europe stopped and out of their cars observing a moment of silence and tribute.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPJKK-CvYBk

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:42 AM »
That video choked me up.  Weird to think those feelings are still so strong after almost a decade.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »
Also, I got laid via the internet on 12 September 2001 -- courtesy of the well hung Jamaican who also would do free Mac service calls in exchange for sex.

Trust you to bring sex into it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »

Here's a site from CNN, where you can see the names of those that perished on 9/11, you can sort by names, employer, state, age, city, country , location.  :'(

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/lists/by-name/

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of April 14, 2014,  t-cells are at 485 Viral load unknown @ this time

Current % is at 14% (L)

62 years young.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
Trust you to bring sex into it.

Believe you me, the mancunts were VERY active that next day -- people were so freaked out by it all that they turned to the best thing to take their minds off it all.  Makes sense if you think about it.

Extra credit: I was even the top.  The world truly turned upside down on 9/11

As an aside, and back on topic, IIRC it took me an entire three months to go to lower Manhattan and get as close as I could to that which happened.  Of course the really close bits were closed off, but I kept avoiding the city below Canal Street for quite some time.  The combination of 9/11, anthrax scares on the subway (those REALLY freaked me out because I was on the subway every day), people jumping in front of trains -- plus having just been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder a year before 9/11, plus my HIV treatment wasn't going well... oh it didn't make for a very happy camper.  Now you know why I became a klonopin junkie, so next time you read me think of this post :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:17:46 PM by Miss Philicia »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:53 PM »

Believe you me, the mancunts were VERY active that next day -- people were so freaked out by it all that they turned to the best thing to take their minds off it all.  Makes sense if you think about it.

A lot of people have that reaction to grief. Sex is a very life-affirming activity.

Andy Velez lives very near to the WTC (I don't like the term Ground Zero either) and if I remember correctly, he put his crowd control training to use that day and was out directing traffic.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline veritas

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »

The following tribute or ode to America from a Romanian newspaper, Evenimentulzilei (News of the day), says a lot:

~An Ode to America ~

Why are Americans so united? They would not resemble one another even if you painted them all one color! They speak all the languages of the world and form an astonishing mixture of civilizations and religious beliefs.

On 9/ll, the American tragedy turned three hundred million people into a hand put on the heart. Nobody rushed to accuse the White House, the Army, or the Secret Service that they are only a bunch of losers. Nobody rushed to empty their bank accounts. Nobody rushed out onto the streets nearby to gape about.

Instead the Americans volunteered to donate blood and to give a helping hand.

After the first moments of panic, they raised their flag over the smoking ruins, putting on T-shirts, caps and ties in the colors of the national flag. They placed flags on buildings and cars as if in every place and on every car a government official or the president was passing. On every occasion, they started singing: 'God Bless America !'

I watched the live broadcast and rerun after rerun for hours listening to the story of the guy who went down one hundred floors with a woman in a wheelchair without knowing who she was, or of the Californian hockey player, who gave his life fighting with the terrorists and prevented the plane from hitting a target that could have killed other hundreds or thousands of people.

How on earth were they able to respond united as one human being? Imperceptibly, with every word and musical note, the memory of some turned into a modern myth of tragic heroes. And with every phone call, millions and millions of dollars were put into collection aimed at rewarding not a man or a family, but a spirit, which no money can buy. What on earth unites the Americans in such a way? Their land? Their history? Their economic Power? Money? I tried for hours to find an answer, humming songs and murmuring phrases with the risk of sounding commonplace, I thought things over, I reached but only one conclusion...

Only freedom can work such miracles.

Cornel Nistorescu

Makes one feel proud.

v

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
A lot of people have that reaction to grief. Sex is a very life-affirming activity.

Yep, IIRC nine months after 9/11 the birth rate in NYC went up.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »
 http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/911-father-lee-ielpi-i-dont-understand-all-of-this-hate/19625618?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C169590

I appreciate having seen this a few days ago and passed it along to others.

It sort of surprises me how quickly reading everyone's comments above have me on the verge of tears all over again. I live in the Village near 6th Avenue with a clear view right downtown to the WTC. I was so accustomed to looking down that way on my way home at night or in the morning at the beginning of my day and seeing the Towers. For a long time I thought I'd never get used to not seeing them there anymore.

I'd called a longtime friend that morning to chat as we often did and do. (She and her husband were living down there in Battery Park City at the time. They've since moved.) She sounded strange when she picked up the phone and she asked me if my tv was on. "Turn it on," she said and hung up. I saw the burning first Tower and was struck by the mass of papers blowing about in the air.  Then almost as if in a dream I saw the second plane approaching. It seemed very small and I had the idea, "Oh, they're checking on damage." (Talk about my propensity for denial.) When it hit I simultaneously couldn't believe what I was seeing, was stunned, wanted it to not be true and realized this was no accident.

Then it turned into one long day. I went out on to 6th Avenue where people had begun to gather -- stunned, rumours spreading, some just silent, others crying, all on this beautiful, beautiful morning which somehow made it seem even more unreal. I went back into my apartment for a while and then out again. By that time more people were standing around stunned. One said her friend had just begun working for American Airlines and was flying out of Boston that morning.

I was watching the Towers and could see some of the blackened structure and wondered how would they ever be able to repair the buildings. Then suddenly there was a huge smoke cloud. I thought maybe a truck with dynamite might have exploded on the street. (More dumbness, right.) When the smoke began to clear slightly, people started screaming, "It's gone, it's gone!" The first tower had fallen. How could this be happening!!!!

I went back inside and by this time I began getting calls from all sorts of people -- friends from all over the world wanting to be sure I was ok, wanting to hear from me because I live in NYC, from my kids. Many of them were weeping. My son Ben was working in Brooklyn at the time and told me, "Dad, we have binoculars here. ...There are people jumping from the buildings." It was more...unthinkable. The trains weren't running and he couldn't get to my place until later in the afternoon. Others who were in the area called and asked if they could come over.

I had no idea of how I was supposed to be or feel or whatever. As my son Abe said,  "Dad, I have no frame of reference for this." So I was grateful that so many friends and loved ones came to my place. We just watched the tv, they walked around my apartment, talked in small groups, made some calls and much later in the day I fed them. Including a stack of white bread peanut butter and jam sandwiches, which I thought correctly would be good comfort food. Even my ex-wife, who had not crossed my threshhold in 14 years asked if she could come by.

The burning smell wafted up this way for months afterward. I realized that it was the smell of burning flesh.

Thinking back now I wonder how we got through the days and months afterwards. For a long time everytime you heard a car backfire people would jump. And for a very long time, because we wondered what was coming next, when I said goodbye to my sons or anyone else, I would think, "I wonder if I'll see you again."

Ann is right. I did direct traffic briefly. But there wasn't that much car traffic for long, except police cars and service vehicles covered with dust. For the next few days the Village was filled with people looking for missing loved ones. A center had been set up a block away from me for registering who you were looking for and checking to see if there was any information. I remember a couple teenagers, brother sister, who had pictures of their father and were just holding them up and asking if anyone had seen him. It was hearbreaking. Everyone hoped that somehow there would be more survivors, that they were somewhere and would turn up.

The things you live through that you could never have imagined.

Love to you all is what I say. Love to you all.      
Andy Velez

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
That video choked me up.  Weird to think those feelings are still so strong after almost a decade.

I remember one moment during the telethon that ran on all networks that caused me to break down.  It was Celine Dion singing "God Bless America".  And, I'm an atheist.  Some said a Canadian shouldn't be the one singing that song.  But I think most felt it was perfect--someone who came to America and could do just as well, and even better.  And no matter whether you like Celine, you have to give it to someone who sounds as good live as she does recorded.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfcdrUDQ_tc&feature=related

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:47:01 AM by tednlou2 »

Offline aztecan

• 28 years positive, 56 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »
I didn't know anyone who died in the 9/11 attacks.

But I did have the sick feeling of someone walking over my grave.

I was still working at a newspaper in those days. One evening, we got a really bizarre fax.

Half of it was in Arabic, the rest in English.

The English portion said something like,  "A lion will soon be loosed in the streets of America."

It said something else too, but I don't remember what it was now.

My boss thought it was a prank. Why would someone send things like that to a smallish newspaper in the hinterland of New Mexico?

A week later, the 9/11 attacks took place.

I always wondered if there were a mass faxing going on, but in the aftermath of the attacks, it was lost in the shuffle.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.