POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632644
  • Total Topics: 47921
  • Online Today: 288
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question about sore on leg.  (Read 3742 times)

Offline nnhood

Question about sore on leg.
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »
Hello,

Really appreciate anyones opinion on what this might be.

Had a possible exposure in 2003, although I do not know if the person was infected. Post exposure, I remember sitting at my computer desk and feeling this really strange feeling, like something was spreading from my groin area to everywhere in my body.  Had drenching night sweats for two nights and then just this feeling that something viral had infected me.  Hard to explain the feeling.

In the 7 months following I had:
3 HIV Antibody Tests by Blood out to 4 months after exposure
PCR sensitive to <400
3 HIV Orasure tests
1 bDNA down to <50
CD4 Count and it was 1000

6 Years pass and my lymph nodes start swelling in various places in Sept. 2009, did not think of HIV at first and had ultrasound done and blood work, everything came back normal.

Total Lymphocyte percentage on CBC in Sept. was 38.5, looking back it's always been around 35 or higher.  Oct it dropped to 19.3 and then 19.2 in Nov. on new CBC's.  My thought was HIV woke up and took a bunch of CD4 cells with it when it did.  Doctors didn't seem to think much of it.

Had Blood Based HIV antibody Sept. 13th of 2009 at state dept of health and it was negative.  Felt good, they said just let it go or get counseling.

Started having pangs of pain in my leg muscles and my legs seemed to be thinning, noticed I would eat and really have no sensation of being either full or hungry.  When I ejaculate now there is hardly any semen and it's sort of runny instead of thick.  Something seems to be stinging my eyes and it comes and goes throughout the day.  I can see some veins under my eyes and my forearms and lower legs seem to be thinner as well.  Shoes seem lose now.

In November I had another CD4 count and it's now at 701, was at 1000 in 2003-2004
On December 2nd I had another HIV Antibody and a PCR down to 48 copies, both negative.

My girlfriend had an abscess tooth, took antibiotics and got a C-Diff infection that has now come back 3 times after taking Flagyll for it.  Had Colonoscopy, nothing there.  Had biopsy, no problems.  Just reported rectal inflammation.  Has had to run to the bathroom for the last few weeks experiencing bloody, mucousal stools usually loose.  Says her hands and nose are really itchy and this comes and goes as well.  Her eyes look bloodshot and her face seems to have thinned.  Says shes tired more often now...

On paper this all looks great, but there are all these symptoms still present at the end of the day.  I can see a possible genetic defect affecting the antibody tests, but I've also had PCR and bDNA.  Without meds is there any way 6 years after exposure that I would have less than 48 copies?  Sound crazy and I would agree, I just don't know what else to check for.

Have been to hematologist and endocrinologist and those tests are fine.  Kidney and liver enzymes are fine.  I feel like giving up and just waiting until something gets bad enough that they know what the problem is, but this affects myself and my girflriend so I feel like I have to keep looking.

I had to fight to even get the antibody and PCR I had in December done.  Doctor said get the CD4 and if it dropped he would run my tests, but those are both negative again.

Should I bother with a P24 test or something else?

Thanks for any response.

M.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:39:20 AM by nnhood »

Online RapidRod

Re: Any possible way I could still be infected somehow?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:44 AM »
HIV is not your problem. You don't have HIV. Seek professional mental help as to why you don't accept your negative test results.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
M,

You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture. You do not have hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is wrong with you. Whatever it is, it certainly is NOT hiv. You are hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
M,

You need to stop posting in forum where you are not permitted. Your posts in Just Tested and Mental Health have been deleted. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guidelines:

With the exception of the “Am I Infected?” and “Off Topic” Forums, the AIDSmeds.com Forums are intended for people who have been diagnosed with HIV (or their loved ones/caregivers).  If you are questioning or unaware of your HIV status, please refrain from posting messages or questions in the Forums intended for HIV-positive people.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

I suggest you follow your doctor's instructions and seek counselling to find out why you refuse to believe your negative hiv test results. We cannot help you with that here and we will not entertain your "what if" thoughts.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nnhood

Tired of testing and ready to move on.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »
Hello,

I had a possible HIV exposure in 2003 although I do not know if the woman was infected or not.  It was protected sex, so the exposure would have had to have been oral which I know is more rare.
Shortly after I had a couple nights of extreme night sweats and then just didnít feel quite right after that. It did eventually go away and I felt fine until this year 2009, I did not obsess about it over those 6 years, no doctors visits at all really.

From the onset of symptoms in August 2003 to April 2004 I had 8 HIV tests, 3 Blood Antibody, 1 PCR DNA to <400 copies, 3 Orasure Oral Tests, and a bDNA Blood test down to <50 copies.  All were negative.  They said not to worry and that it would have shown up by then.  All tests very from various places.   

In September 2009 I noticed a swollen lymph node or else parotid gland on the right side of my neck, I do have seasonal allergies so I didnít really think much of it.  However soon I started feeling more lymph nodes in various locations swell and then subside.  Not painful really.  I had a small yeast infection between my buttocks and they gave me a cream for that and it went away.  Had a seed stuck in my gums and the dentist removed it but then a viral infection happened from the gumline to the roof of my mouth.  They gave me antibiotics and it went away in a couple weeks.

I went and had an ultrasound done and blood work which did not really show anything other than some small nodes, nothing of significance.  I thought back to 2003-2004 and started to get worried, so I went to the department of health and had another HIV blood antibody test done.  Again came back Negative.

I was relieved at first, but then I noticed I started to have leg pains that would come and go and my food did not seem to be digesting correctly.  I would eat, but have no real sensation of whether I was full or still hungry.  My stools were very large consistently and I worry actually to this day that I have a malabsorbtion problem. 

I noticed on Sept 2009 bloodwork that my total lymphocyte percentage on my CBC was 38.5 and looking back in time it was always in this ballpark.  What bothered me was my Oct 2009 and Nov 2009 bloodworks showed a drop in this number to 19.2% which seemed like a big drop to me all of a sudden.
I got a CD4 count done by a hematologist and noticed they had dropped from 1000 in 2003-2004 to 701 in November of 2009.

Worried about HIV again I went back to an ID doctor and they ordered another blood based HIV antibody and PCR down to 48 copies.  All were negative again.

That makes a total of 11 negative HIV tests of various kinds.  On paper this sounds fine and have been told multiple times to seek therapy or counseling.  Yet symptoms persist.  Pains in my leg muscles are there every day and I take Tylenol Muscle and Pain relief.  These are not horrible pains, but just soreness and I believe my legs are thinning as well although I havenít really measured.  From time to time Iím having stinging sensations in my eyes which I was afraid was CMV retinitis.  I noticed my semen volume is very low, ejaculate is much more runny and sort of yellowish instead of thick and white.  Occasional earaches but very infrequent.  No real fatigue, I workout at the school district I work at every day.
Some signs of what I would call Lipoatrophy, fat loss under the skin.  Under my eyes, in my forearms and lower legs, veins are more visible.  I know this is mainly from HIV medications, but I know also it can be from infection alone from what I have read.

Other than these symptoms, I cannot recall many times at all that I was sick in the last 6 years.  Other than maybe seasonal allergies and losing my voice during that season in 2008.

Also, my girlfriend / fiancťe was tested back in 2003-2004 for HIV and was negative.  She is aware of all the new testing as well that I have done.  A few years back she had a bout of pleurisy.  Currently she is having digestion issues brought on my a C-Difficule intestinal infection that resulted from antibiotics she was on for an abscess tooth.  The C-Diff came back 3 times and she kept taking Flagyll and Probiotics.  Started having to run the bathroom about 2-3 hours after eating.  Was having bloody mucousal stools constantly.  Had a colonoscopy and nothing was out of the ordinary.  Had biopsy, nothing abnormal.  All they said was there was rectal inflammation.  I only mention her problems because she would most likely be infected if I were infected with something transmissible.

She also has been very warm at night and sweating more than usual, has itchy nose and hands and legs that come and go.  Randomly has migraines and doesnít know why.  Looking at her, her face seems to have thinned, but she hasnít lost a lot of weight otherwise.  She has not been tested for HIV again as she thinks Iím being obsessive and self diagnosing which I understand.  She also has had irregular periods as of late and her last period she said was one of the worst she can remember as far as bleeding and cramping.

The doctor who has found the most was an immunologist in Pittsburgh and the funny thing is that I read that HIV can cause low testosterone so I asked him to check it.  It was low, but not horribly low.  Vitamin D is also low, ANA Titer is high and aldolase enzyme is high.  He said there is something going on with your muscles but we don't know what...  He did an MRI of my Pituitary Gland and ultrasound of the testicles which showed no problems.  He did another CD4 test at my request and those numbers were all good...  1202 total, cd4 percent is 49%.   The CD4/CD8 ratio was slightly elevated.  My total lymphocyte percentage on a regular CBC Diff was back to normal at 38.5%.

Some people would say how could I have it and the CD4 be so high, but I've talked to others online, a few who have had HIV for 12 and 17 years and still not on meds so I know this is possible to happen.  I wouldn't say I was a non-progessor because of the leg pain and fat loss, but maybe the immune system is okay but my metabolic system isn't.

I did get a Urologist to try me on Androgel just to see if that helps the muscle pains and apparent muscle mass loss in my legs.  The main reason I fixate on HIV is the fat loss in my legs, forearms, and under my eyes.  This is really the only reason... otherwise I would not obsess as 11 tests should definitely be conclusive especially when 3 of them are 6 years out from exposure.  Have you ever sat on a toilet seat and your thighs sort of squish down and maybe touch each other?  Well they used to do that, and now they don't even come close to touching.  It feels like I'm sitting directly on muscle now.  Areas of my face I even notice, like a dry burning in my nostrils and the skin just feels thinner.

I feel like I've done all I can do and plan on getting married this summer and I just don't want to think that my wife and I would be unknowingly reinfecting each other over and over again because of some freak testing anomaly.  And nobody is going to care if it is there... they'll just be like oh wow, that's really rare or strange... sorry we missed it, you were right... sorry honey they missed I guess.  Even contacted a lawyer and he's like yeah there's really no recourse if you end up having it.

I guess my friend Brent has said it best... he just said live your life, if you have it you have it, live your life, if you don't have it then great, but live your life...  and he's right.

If I'm the one in a million weird tester and I do have it somehow, it's not going to help obsessing about it until it turns up.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Matt

Online RapidRod

Re: Tired of testing and ready to move on.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
You don't have HIV. Seek professional mental help as to why you can't accept your conclusive negative test result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:48:46 PM »
You have more than reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. Period. End of story.

You have no cause for further concern about it. And if you can't let go of this thoroughly unwarranted concern then follow Rod's suggestion and see a therapist to discuss the problem.  Which is NOT HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:54 AM »
I have deleted your vitamins comment which you posted in an HIV-related Forum. You do not have HIV and you are not supposed to write in any other part of the Forums than this one.

If you do it again you will get a 28 day Time Out from the site. Consider yourself warned.

Obviously you are continuing to hang around the site although you have no cause to be concerned about HIV at this point. You can do that if you want to although doing so will just feed your unfounded fears about your HIV status.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:40:15 AM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline nnhood

I had symptoms of what I thought was seroconversion in July / August of 2003.  From August 2003 to April 2004 I had:

3 Blood Antibody Tests
3 Orasure Tests
1 PCR to 400 copies
1 bDNA to 50 copies

All negative, was told everything was okay, no need to test anymore.

Sept 2009 started having swollen lymph nodes in various places, got checked for hodgkins and went to various specialists, all bloodwork looked pretty good.  Had another HIV blood antibody test which was negative.

Started having pains in my legs and thinning of them and started seeing the classic signs of mild lipoatrophy in legs, forearms, under my eyes, cheeks.  Not drastic, but I can see the changes and my stomach is getting bigger as well, I also have half-moon areas of fat under each breast of my chest.

Dec 2009, had another blood antibody and a PCR to <48, both negative again.

Saw an immunologist in March and I asked him to do a testosterone check in addition to other tests he was running.  I'm 35 and it came back as low, not horribly low, but low.  Vitamin D also low.  A month later another doctor ran the testosterone again and it was within normal limits.  They did give me Androgel to try though in case it was fluctuating.  So I'm taking that now and drinking protein drinks, and also taking 2000iu of Vit D.

Have had 3 CD4 tests, in 2003 I had 1000, in Nov. 2009 I had 701, and in Feb 2010 I had 1202.  

It's mainly the lipo stuff that keeps me worried and testing, I've actually been considering getting a pair of those Sitrelief shorts from Lipowear.  Somedays I wear underwear and long underwear even when it's warm out because it gives me more padding on my butt and thighs.

That's when it hits me that something is definitely going on...  It's like 70 degrees out and I'm putting long underwear on.

I just wondered if anyone else had problems testing positive due to either a genetic issue or a weird strain of virus.

Thanks,

M.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:33:31 AM by nnhood »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
OK. You have been warned before about not coming back with more of the same unwarranted concerns about your HIV status. You are HIV negative. Period.

Also, you are only supposed to have been writing in your original thread, which is why I have merged your latest entry with that one. The rule is to write only in your original thread.

For the moment that is irrelevant because I am giving you the 28 Day Time Out you have been warned about. Don't make the mistake of trying to get round that ban by creating a new name. We will spot that immediately and it will get you permanently banned from the site.

You have a problem that you need to discuss with a therapist or other professional. We can't help you with that in this setting.

HIV is not your problem.
Andy Velez

Offline nnhood

Question about sore on leg.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
I had a possible exposure back in 2003, but since then have had a total of 12 negative HIV tests of all kinds, PCR, bDNA, Blood Antibody, Oral Antibody, even have had CD4 tests done, last one was in Feb and it was at 1202 percent was also high around 48%.

I actually saw a therapist because I could not stop worrying about it and some meds really helped with the anxiety.

I really am much better now in that department, but the only thing that worries me is my legs seem to be thinning and every once in a while I get a sore like this:

www.nnhood.com/legsore.jpg

I had talked with a doctor who was at ground zero in New York when HIV first became an issue and I actually showed him a picture and he said "Well have you had more of these pop up?"  He looked concerned a little but he also knew of all my negative tests.  8 Test back in 2003 and 4 more in 2009 after I had some swollen lymph nodes.  So 6 years is way outisde the window period.

I just wondered if someone with HIV had had sores similar to this at all or if it could just be something else that caused it.

Thanks,

M.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Question about sore on leg.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
M,

I see you STILL have not bothered to read and/or learn our posting guidelines. Get with the program already. Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

How many times do you have to be told that you do not have hiv? Of course something else is causing the sores on your legs. How could it be hiv WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE HIV??? Looks like a flea or mosquito bite to me.

You should be continuing on with your therapy to get to the bottom of why you cannot accept your hiv negative status. Thinking you have hiv because of little spots on your legs is not normal or healthy thinking.

You never had a risk in the first place. The incident you're worried about was protected intercourse and oral. There's no risk in either. Even if you gave oral as well as got a blowjob, you still had NO RISK. It's hardly surprising you don't have hiv.

Don't bother coming back with more of the same. You'll quickly be given a 56 day time out.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED FOR THE LAST TIME!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.