POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 29, 2014, 04:42:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650644
  • Total Topics: 49678
  • Online Today: 182
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 134
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Needles, Pokes, and Prods  (Read 1657 times)

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
Needles, Pokes, and Prods
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:31:14 PM »
Now that I have most everyone's attention... hehe

I get to go get blood drawn again. YAY! (not) Wish me luck! :)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
Re: Needles, Pokes, and Prods
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
Its always good to be friendly with the Nurse that does blood draws... They give kids candy after a shot or a blood draw, I stop on the way home and get a 6 Pack...Keeps me Motivated.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:20 PM »
Hey Molten, you'll do fine. It'll be a breeze someday.  When I first tested POZ some 15 years ago occasionally the nurse would tell me my veins would roll and they'd have to poke me again. I quickly learned I only get faint and see stars if I know the nurse is having problems. I have huge veins so there shouldn't be a problem but just to be safe I tell the nurses not to tell me if they are having problems and just to keep quiet and pole away until they hit a geyser.

Good luck pretty boy.  ;)

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:49:32 PM »
Thanks guys. (Extra thanks to you, cmhjeff, for calling me pretty boy)  ;)

Blood draw was a snap. I'm going back on the 14th for the results. I keep waiting on that letter from the state that says I can start Atripla. It should be arriving any day now.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:56:57 PM »
Hey molten,

Wishing you the best on your blood tests results !! Good Luck !!

The Best-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 12/10/14,  t-cells are at 350,  Previous 8/25/14--- 402/ Viral load remains <40

Current % is at 13% / Previous 8/25/14 11%

63 years young.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:54:46 PM »
Poked and Prodded is how I got this blasted virus!  Course those werent needles and I wasnt picky!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:53 AM »
i dont like it either but,theres this reall beautiful nurse,and shes the only one i let do it,i think its her eyes that kill me,or the tits,but thats my take on it,get to be comfotable and its not so bad,depending on how many vials they want of corse.and if they hit the vein correctly,and arent rookies.take care

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 06:19:39 AM »
Hey Molten.........

Had a white Persian cat named Pretty Boy....but you are a cutie pie.  Doing lab work...getting stuck is a necessary evil we all must endure.  And for some of us the process is a major ordeal.  The clinic where I
go to have my blood work done has to schedule my appointment for labwork around a certain young lady's schedule...since she's the only one who can "successfully" withdraw the endless tubes of black blood from my veins.

And as if rolling veins and knots weren't bad enough....my blood pressure is so low and my body usually so dehydrated I find myself getting stuck several times before the ORDEAL is over.  I walk out with all these band aids on my arms, confronted by the nervous smiles of those awaiting their turn.

Good Luck sweetie........Hope you have an easier time of it than I do ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:15:14 AM »
Pretty Boy? More like Gorgeous ;)
Positive since 1985

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 05:14:39 PM »
I can remember the first blood draw vividly. I don't generally like needles but I guess with this HIV thing I was resigned to the fact that it was going to become routine. "11 vials? OMG. You can't be serious. Do I even have that much blood?" I'm sure my face went as white as my shirt, but, thankfully, the nurse at the clinic is an angel. I'm certain I didn't notice her cleavage, so, yah, I'll stick by my feeling that she's some other-worldy spirit. It's one of the few times I can remember the procedure being finished before I knew it and I didn't even have to sit a spell or drink something afterward. Fear sure is the mind killer. I'm just gonna smile from here on in - unless I'm going to a mall. Grrrr.

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 10:57:21 PM »
Gorgeous? Cutie Pie? :o Ok, where do you want me?  ;)

The lady that pokes and prods me is really good. I didn't even feel it go in. The first time hurt like a B****, and she used the industrial strength needle on me. I wasn't getting away from that needle under any circumstances.

My veins don't tend to deflect needles. They are just hard to find. She knows how to work me though. ;)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 10:58:55 PM by MoltenStorm »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 11:49:02 PM »
That's hot
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.