POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:30:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636418
  • Total Topics: 48300
  • Online Today: 238
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 232
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Panty sniffing. Sad but true!  (Read 4499 times)

Offline needhelp136

Panty sniffing. Sad but true!
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
Let me start off by saying that this website is a wonderful thing that really helps people in their time of need.  All of you that work for this site and volunteer are truly fantastic people!

I have read all of the forums pertaining to my concerns and I was still hoping to get some direct feedback about my situation so I can move on with my life and stop obsessing.

Three years ago I had unprotected sex with a woman (I am a man) and was given oral sex from a sex worker at a massage place.  At the time I went out and got the Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 test at 3 months, 6 months, and at a year.  Everything was negative.

Since then I have been in a solid relationship, but we went through some tough times a few years back and I had some handjobs done at a massage parlor.  The last full handjob was about 1 1/2 years ago.  Again, I went out and got a rapid test which said I was negative.

After that I would go to these massage places and masturbate while these girls would massage me.  I didn't want them to touch my penis out of fear, so I thought it was best to do it myself.  The last time I had this done was on Dec. 31st 2009 (almost 8 months ago).  At the time the woman rubbed my pubic region, testicles, and base of my penis while I masturbated.  Again, I was concerned so I had a Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 test done in March (at about 11 weeks), one in July(at 6 months), and then I had my doctor do the ELISA test at the end of July ( 4 days shy of a full 7 months).  Everything came back negative. 

I haven't been able to kick my fear, so I kept going online and doing a lot of research to try and ease my fear.  On the HIV site, The Body, one of the doctor's posted that with certain behavior to get a 100% negative result you need to be tested at the one year mark.  I started to panic because I thought 3 months was pretty much a guarantee and that 6 months was overkill. 

My last fear deals with towels.  I was concerned that at these massage places even though I masturbated myself, they used wet towels on my to help clean things up.  What if those towels were already dirty and someone else's sperm or blood were on those towels.  I know it sounds ridiculous but the idea got me really worried.  So here are my questions to the wise ones at aidsmeds:

1.  If my unprotected sex and oral sex was 2.5 to 3 years ago, am I completely in the clear about those?

2.  Are the Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 rapid tests extremely accurate and trustworthy?

3.  Am I in any danger from the massages that I described?

4.  Are the towels, even if used w/ blood and semen from someone else before me, a way to transmit HIV?

5.  Is the ELISA test extremely accurate at almost 7 months after my last massage?

6. Do I need a test that checks for the actual virus or are the antibody test proof enough with a negative result?

7.  Do I need another test at the year mark.  What is the definitive window period when you get a guarantee?

8.  Am I endangering my girlfriend at all because of my past experiences?

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: Am I at risk? More testing?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »
Let me start off by saying that this website is a wonderful thing that really helps people in their time of need.  All of you that work for this site and volunteer are truly fantastic people!

I have read all of the forums pertaining to my concerns and I was still hoping to get some direct feedback about my situation so I can move on with my life and stop obsessing.

Three years ago I had unprotected sex with a woman (I am a man) and was given oral sex from a sex worker at a massage place.  At the time I went out and got the Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 test at 3 months, 6 months, and at a year.  Everything was negative.

Since then I have been in a solid relationship, but we went through some tough times a few years back and I had some handjobs done at a massage parlor.  The last full handjob was about 1 1/2 years ago.  Again, I went out and got a rapid test which said I was negative.

After that I would go to these massage places and masturbate while these girls would massage me.  I didn't want them to touch my penis out of fear, so I thought it was best to do it myself.  The last time I had this done was on Dec. 31st 2009 (almost 8 months ago).  At the time the woman rubbed my pubic region, testicles, and base of my penis while I masturbated.  Again, I was concerned so I had a Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 test done in March (at about 11 weeks), one in July(at 6 months), and then I had my doctor do the ELISA test at the end of July ( 4 days shy of a full 7 months).  Everything came back negative. 

I haven't been able to kick my fear, so I kept going online and doing a lot of research to try and ease my fear.  On the HIV site, The Body, one of the doctor's posted that with certain behavior to get a 100% negative result you need to be tested at the one year mark.  I started to panic because I thought 3 months was pretty much a guarantee and that 6 months was overkill. 

My last fear deals with towels.  I was concerned that at these massage places even though I masturbated myself, they used wet towels on my to help clean things up.  What if those towels were already dirty and someone else's sperm or blood were on those towels.  I know it sounds ridiculous but the idea got me really worried.  So here are my questions to the wise ones at aidsmeds:

1.  If my unprotected sex and oral sex was 2.5 to 3 years ago, am I completely in the clear about those?

2.  Are the Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 rapid tests extremely accurate and trustworthy?

3.  Am I in any danger from the massages that I described?

4.  Are the towels, even if used w/ blood and semen from someone else before me, a way to transmit HIV?

5.  Is the ELISA test extremely accurate at almost 7 months after my last massage?

6. Do I need a test that checks for the actual virus or are the antibody test proof enough with a negative result?

7.  Do I need another test at the year mark.  What is the definitive window period when you get a guarantee?

8.  Am I endangering my girlfriend at all because of my past experiences?

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. No.

5. Yes.

6. Antibody test is sufficient.

7. No, three months is sufficient.

8. No.

MtD

Offline needhelp136

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
Thank you for your response MtD. I appreciate it!

Can Ann or one of the other moderators answer the questions as well being you guys and gals are the experts?  I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
I concur with Matty. On all counts.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
Need,

The ONLY thing on your list that warranted testing was the unprotected intercourse. Neither getting a blowjob nor a handjob are risks for hiv infection. And hiv cannot be transmitted from towels, doorknobs, glasses, forks, knives, spoons, cups, mugs, public toilets, or any thing else in the environment.

The window period for hiv testing is three months and has been for years now. In fact, the vast majority of people will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT CURRENTLY NEED FURTHER TESTING, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline needhelp136

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
Thank you to everyone that replied, you are all very helpful and it is much appreciated.

Lastly to Ann: Do you feel that the antibody tests such as the Clearview Complete HIV 1/2 and the ELISA tests are the only tests needed to get an accurate and positive negative result?  I wasn't sure if I needed a test for the virus itself or if the antibody tests are the norm.  Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
Need,

What the heck is a "positive negative result"?

The test you used and ELISA tests in general are all you need for a negative result. Antibody tests are indeed the norm.

As I told you earlier, the ONLY real risk you had was the unprotected vaginal intercourse. As hiv is much more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man, you were never likely to test positive over a one-off anyway.

You are absolutely, conclusively hiv negative. Make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse in future and you will remain hiv negative. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline needhelp136

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:18 PM »
Thank you Ann!
  I meant "a guaranteed negative result" when I said "a positive negative result". Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for all that you do to help people!

Offline needhelp136

Panty sniffing. Sad but true!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
Here is a lame question, but I promise it is for a friend.  I told my friend about your site and all of the great info I have gotten.  I guess he had a bit of a fetish and was too embarrassed to sign up and ask for himself.

Is it possible to get HIV or anything else from smelling or touching a woman's panties that she has just taken off?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Panty sniffing. Sad but true!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »
need,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. You'd know that if you'd bothered to read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You were told in great detail yesterday that hiv is absolutely NOT transmitted from objects in the environment. Last time I checked, that includes panties. Get a grip.

And hiv cannot be transmitted from towels, doorknobs, glasses, forks, knives, spoons, cups, mugs, public toilets, or anything else in the environment.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline needhelp136

Re: Testing window - worried
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »
I have a question for Andy along the same lines.  I had my last sexual exposure two years and seven months ago.  Other than that, I had a hand job at a massage place 7 months ago.  I got test with rapid tests at the 3 month and 6 month mark, all being negative.  I got the ELISA test at the 7month mark just to make sure, and it was negative.  My question is, can the fact that I had my appendix and tonsils (both being part of the immune system) removed give a false negative on the ELISA or rapid tests? Or does it not affect the test at all? Thanks!

Online Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »
Neither of those surgeries would in any way affect the reliability of your test results.

Based on what you have reported you are definitely HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:37:40 PM »
Need,

I managed to remove your post from someone else's thread earlier, but my computer seized up due to an anti-virus program starting a scheduled scan. What follows is what I could not post at the time.

You posted the above question in a thread belonging to another person. If you'd bothered to read the Welcome thread like I asked you to, you would have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Please consider yourself warned!

While you weren't answering a question, it isn't rocket science that you should not post your questions in another persons thread, especially when you've already been told to keep all your questions or comments in your own thread.  

You didn't have a risk and it's no surprise that you are definitely hiv negative. The lack of appendix or tonsils in no way changes that fact. You do not have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.