POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:22:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632276
  • Total Topics: 47877
  • Online Today: 259
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: LIPO- RADIESSE SCULPTRA VERY DEPRESSED  (Read 2641 times)

Offline cityboy

LIPO- RADIESSE SCULPTRA VERY DEPRESSED
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
I have been positive since 7/07 when I started taking Reyatax Norvir and Truvada-numbers are great cd4-850 and undetectable. 

I have always had a slim face, but have been noticing that I am losing fat in my temples.  I looked like the right one had a change almost overnight-is this possible?  I thought these newer meds did not cause this.
It is making me very depressed and I am just staying home today because I am so upset. 

I want to get this fixed.  I am in New York, can anyone recommend a good doctor who they have had experience with and tell me about the procedure.  I work so I need to know what the recovery time is
were there lumps, were you satisfied with the appearance  afterwards.   

This has been a very difficult year for me losing a dear friend, relative, and this is stressing me to the max.
Any help, support would be appreciated.  Thanks

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: LIPO- RADIESSE SCULPTRA VERY DEPRESSED
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
1) if you live in NYC you should have a lot of resources, so I wonder why your HIV doctor isn't giving you a proper referral for this -- did your HIV doctor actually diagnose you with lipoatrophy?

2) I also notice in your older posts that just 8 months after starting treatment (April '08) you were already thinking you were losing fat in your temples.  I've never heard of anyone getting lipo from this regimen, much less in eight months.  Are you sure about what's going on or do you just think it's this, and are you experiencing lipoatrophy in other parts of your face and body?
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline cityboy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
1)What type of doctor would you go to for a referral?
2) I have no lipo I can see in other parts of my body-just temples are looking sunken face is thin

1) if you live in NYC you should have a lot of resources, so I wonder why your HIV doctor isn't giving you a proper referral for this -- did your HIV doctor actually diagnose you with lipoatrophy?

2) I also notice in your older posts that just 8 months after starting treatment (April '08) you were already thinking you were losing fat in your temples.  I've never heard of anyone getting lipo from this regimen, much less in eight months.  Are you sure about what's going on or do you just think it's this, and are you experiencing lipoatrophy in other parts of your face and body?

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
Your HIV doctor should make an initial diagnosis of lipoatrophy and give you a referral.  It seems like you're diagnosing yourself, which is problematic.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
CityBoy,

I agree with the others that you should get a proper referral from your doctor so you can get a professional medical examination and recommendation for treatment.

Having said that, my situation was similar to yours as I also traditionally had a thin, long face with high cheeckbones.  I had Sculptra and Radiesse treatments.

I have listed below two of my posts to these Boards that you may find helpful.  I remain very pleased with the way my face looks today.

Post #1...

Main Forums / Long-Term Survivors / I Live The Body Eclectic...25 Years and Counting  on: April 23, 2010, 11:24:04 PM  

1. Body

Facial wasting: Had it for 10 years at mild to severe grade.  Particularly at temples.  Received Scupltra 3 years ago. Responded quite well--even Doctor made note.  Only last month had touch up at temples and upper cheek region with Radiesse--fabulous results.

Post #2...

Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits / Lipodystrophy & Metabolic Problems / Re: Losing fat on ass and face.  on: November 09, 2008, 09:52:35 AM  

I find it simply amazing that when I signed on today, this discussion thread had started.  I had planned to post an update on my facial wasting correction this weekend as it represents a little over year since I had  my last treatments with Sculptra.

I had facial wasting for 10 years: 1997 - 2007. I went on and then off Crixivan in 1997/98 as it then was deemed a potential cause of that and increased belly fat.  I gained a little weight in the belly and lost some weight in my butt and thighs. I was tall and thin with what they used to call "thunder thighs". Now I am tall (...well 1 out of 3).

My wasting case was deemed moderate to severe in certain areas of my face. I have a long face with high cheek bones.  The half way good news is that the wasting went to this level and stopped ten years ago, never getting progressively worse. The facial wasting created craters at the ridge above my cheeks (a skeletal look) on both sides of my face and sunken cheeks. The check bone ridge was sharp and pronounced. The area immediately below my eyes, however, remained full and smooth and not sunken. No veins in my forehead.

I had the Sculptra treatments to the area above the cheekbone ridge, surrounding the ridge and below the ridge next to the edge of my mouth. I choose Sculptra because it was noted that it promotes production of your body's own collagen and is less prone to trigger an allergic reaction and the manufacturer offered financial assistance (I was unemployed at the time).  As a person with medium brown and slightly thick skin, I was also told that I was an ideal candidate for the treatment. My remaining concern was the formation of keloids (raised welt-like skin formations) at the fine need injection sites as sometimes happens to persons of color with darker skin.

I went to the doctor in June this year for a check up and he saw no need for a touch up.

Now its November 2008 and all still appear fine.  My cheeks are smooth, full and well rounded --no sharpe ridge, no hollow crater and no severe sunken area in the cheeks.  No keloids formed. I remain extremely pleased and quite aware that I chose a temporary filler that will require a touch up in the future.

Pat is correct. As you get older, you adjust your self image.  I am 55 and after living with wasting for 10 years I am happy to have the experience of incredible improvement to my face with a youthful appearance as a side benefit.   I have no problem accepting this as I have adjusted my self image upward.

Bubble, there are options for improvement out there.  Just do your research and find the ones you can afford and live with.

Take care
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaŪto frito."

Offline HowYouDoin

• this is not me but i wish, lol
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:27 PM »
hI  CITYboy

You should speak to your doctor and ask for his opinion. i think you are probably looking at your face a little too much and watching for changes to happen. From what I have learned in these four years of being HIV positive and on meds is that the newer drugs shouldn't have this reaction so quick. I suggest you stop being so hard on yourself and take some time to meditate and probably stop staring at the mirror as much. I was in a similar situation years ago when I started taking meds and swore I was looking sick when in reality I was looking the same, I was just paranoid about the meds. Good luck and keep us posted.

Al

Offline cityboy

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
I have always had a thin face and high cheekbones too.  Can you tell me what the recovery period was after the Sculptra/Radiesse and how many times you went for Sculptra before you saw it improve your appearance.  They same some people have no reaction.  I am light skined

CityBoy,

I agree with the others that you should get a proper referral from your doctor so you can get a professional medical examination and recommendation for treatment.

Having said that, my situation was similar to yours as I also traditionally had a thin, long face with high cheeckbones.  I had Sculptra and Radiesse treatments.

I have listed below two of my posts to these Boards that you may find helpful.  I remain very pleased with the way my face looks today.

Post #1...

Main Forums / Long-Term Survivors / I Live The Body Eclectic...25 Years and Counting  on: April 23, 2010, 11:24:04 PM  

1. Body

Facial wasting: Had it for 10 years at mild to severe grade.  Particularly at temples.  Received Scupltra 3 years ago. Responded quite well--even Doctor made note.  Only last month had touch up at temples and upper cheek region with Radiesse--fabulous results.

Post #2...

Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits / Lipodystrophy & Metabolic Problems / Re: Losing fat on ass and face.  on: November 09, 2008, 09:52:35 AM  

I find it simply amazing that when I signed on today, this discussion thread had started.  I had planned to post an update on my facial wasting correction this weekend as it represents a little over year since I had  my last treatments with Sculptra.

I had facial wasting for 10 years: 1997 - 2007. I went on and then off Crixivan in 1997/98 as it then was deemed a potential cause of that and increased belly fat.  I gained a little weight in the belly and lost some weight in my butt and thighs. I was tall and thin with what they used to call "thunder thighs". Now I am tall (...well 1 out of 3).

My wasting case was deemed moderate to severe in certain areas of my face. I have a long face with high cheek bones.  The half way good news is that the wasting went to this level and stopped ten years ago, never getting progressively worse. The facial wasting created craters at the ridge above my cheeks (a skeletal look) on both sides of my face and sunken cheeks. The check bone ridge was sharp and pronounced. The area immediately below my eyes, however, remained full and smooth and not sunken. No veins in my forehead.

I had the Sculptra treatments to the area above the cheekbone ridge, surrounding the ridge and below the ridge next to the edge of my mouth. I choose Sculptra because it was noted that it promotes production of your body's own collagen and is less prone to trigger an allergic reaction and the manufacturer offered financial assistance (I was unemployed at the time).  As a person with medium brown and slightly thick skin, I was also told that I was an ideal candidate for the treatment. My remaining concern was the formation of keloids (raised welt-like skin formations) at the fine need injection sites as sometimes happens to persons of color with darker skin.

I went to the doctor in June this year for a check up and he saw no need for a touch up.

Now its November 2008 and all still appear fine.  My cheeks are smooth, full and well rounded --no sharpe ridge, no hollow crater and no severe sunken area in the cheeks.  No keloids formed. I remain extremely pleased and quite aware that I chose a temporary filler that will require a touch up in the future.

Pat is correct. As you get older, you adjust your self image.  I am 55 and after living with wasting for 10 years I am happy to have the experience of incredible improvement to my face with a youthful appearance as a side benefit.   I have no problem accepting this as I have adjusted my self image upward.

Bubble, there are options for improvement out there.  Just do your research and find the ones you can afford and live with.

Take care

Offline cityboy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
my doctor told me to go to an ENT doctor who also does filler and other cosmetic procedures.  Is this normal that the doctor would not ask me to come in first?

Your HIV doctor should make an initial diagnosis of lipoatrophy and give you a referral.  It seems like you're diagnosing yourself, which is problematic.

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
my doctor told me to go to an ENT doctor who also does filler and other cosmetic procedures.  Is this normal that the doctor would not ask me to come in first?

Of course it's not normal, especially when you first complained about needing lipo 2.5 years ago and, I must assume, you've been going to your HIV doctor every 3-4 months since that time.  I'm sorry but I don't understand this.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
CityBoy,

I had my procedures done on Friday afternoons and was back at work the following Mondays.  The doctor put numbing cream on my face and we waited for it to take before injecting the vial contents  through a fine pointed needle into the underlying dermas (skin).  The pain was tolerable in my case. The Radiesse procedure showed improvement rather quickly (the next week) although there was some swelling at the injection sites that went down over the weekend.  The Sculptra took several weeks to show improvement after each treatment--I had a total of three treatments spread over about three months each.  I was told to vigorously massage the injected areas for a day or so to help prevent clumping.  The doctor demonstrated the massage technigue and watched me do it to make sure I got it right.  It worked.

I must, at this point, again stress as others here have that you should get a proper referral from your doctor. You should see a medical  board certified dermotologist or plastic surgeon for the procedure who also ideally has experience with HIV positive patients. He should consult with you, look at your face, take pictures, see pictures of you before the facial wasting and discuss your expectations.  This will confirm the level of wasting and course of treatment. Once you schedule the treatment, the doctor will advise that you do not take any aspirin or aspirin-contained products at least two weeks before the  treatment in order to avoid the potential for excessive bleeding during the injections (aspirin is considered a blood thinner and can prevent clotting).

Please also note that there is considerable skill required with the facial filler procedure as there is a patchwork of nerves and muscles in our faces and the doctor must know his way around that part of the anatomy so as to not cause any damage.

Here is some additional information on the different types of facial fillers that you may find helpful:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1125066-overview

Take care.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:27:56 AM by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaŪto frito."

Offline klipsch

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
My experience...I asked my doctor about my face after getting comments from all kinds of people around me. I actually had a State Trooper comment after being pulled over for speeding. I handed him my license which had a picture taken in April 2000, about a year and a half before the indecent. When he cam back to my car to give me my speeding ticket and license, he commented "Wow...you've really lost a lot of weight".
When I spoke to my doctor about the comments, she told me that she didn't see anything that appeared to be "wasting". I had never heard that term used before and was still very naive about HIV meds. I had been taking Zerit for about a year and a half. When I left that clinic because my medical insurance ended (I was out of work), I was told by the doctors at my new clinic that I had moderate to severe facial wasting. They didn't refer me, but I was told by my social worker about a cosmetic dermatologist that was going to begin doing Sculptra treatments in the area. Treatments began in January of 2005.
I've been getting both Sculptra and Radiesse treatments since that time, and it's been a blessing and a curse. Patient assistance for Sculptra has really declined/changed since it initially received FDA approval. For me...Radiesse is available and affordable through the patient assistance they offer...but I'm afraid that it's not meant to fill the larger areas where the Sculptra I received a few years ago is degrading.

I'd look at the manufacturers sites to locate doctors in your area that perform treatments, then bring that info to your HIV doc for referral.
when shit has value...the poor will be born without assholes...

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
Below is a good resource and he gives referrals.

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/FacialWasting/index.html

This link shows Mark S. King getting his face done by Dr. Pierone:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art50995.html

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
My experience...I asked my doctor about my face after getting comments from all kinds of people around me. I actually had a State Trooper comment after being pulled over for speeding. I handed him my license which had a picture taken in April 2000, about a year and a half before the indecent. When he cam back to my car to give me my speeding ticket and license, he commented "Wow...you've really lost a lot of weight".
When I spoke to my doctor about the comments, she told me that she didn't see anything that appeared to be "wasting". I had never heard that term used before and was still very naive about HIV meds. I had been taking Zerit for about a year and a half. When I left that clinic because my medical insurance ended (I was out of work), I was told by the doctors at my new clinic that I had moderate to severe facial wasting. They didn't refer me, but I was told by my social worker about a cosmetic dermatologist that was going to begin doing Sculptra treatments in the area. Treatments began in January of 2005.
I've been getting both Sculptra and Radiesse treatments since that time, and it's been a blessing and a curse. Patient assistance for Sculptra has really declined/changed since it initially received FDA approval. For me...Radiesse is available and affordable through the patient assistance they offer...but I'm afraid that it's not meant to fill the larger areas where the Sculptra I received a few years ago is degrading.

I'd look at the manufacturers sites to locate doctors in your area that perform treatments, then bring that info to your HIV doc for referral.

Zerit is an entirely different story than what the OP of this thread is claiming.  Zerit use a decade ago is the primary cause of lipoatrophy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.