POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 04:48:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23350
  • Latest: Smasher
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636676
  • Total Topics: 48324
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chronic Sinusitis, possible surgery ahead:  (Read 2092 times)

Offline jm1953

Chronic Sinusitis, possible surgery ahead:
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
Hey members,

Was really sick a week ago with the worst sinus infection I've had in years.  My whole face swelled up, 102.5 temp.  I've had several before, and have been treated.  Surgery has been suggested through CT's taken by my Ear, Nose, and throat doc.  He was ready to proceed last year, and then my bouts magically went away. 

I called ER because I started getting a stiff neck, horrible headache, plus all the rest.  Was concerned it could be turning into meningitis.  Saw my GP the next day, and he referred me immediately to my ENT doc.  Now on Avelox and Prednisone, heavy doses.  Feeling better, but if things don't improve by the end of the course and when I see my ENT doc in two weeks surgery is definitely in the cards.

I understand people with HIV/AIDS are very often diagnosed with Chronic sinusitis. Just wondering if others have had this and had the surgery.

Thanks as always,

JM
Positive 25 years. 7/21/2012 Current CD 4: 780 Viral load: less than 50. 38 to 40%
Current drug regimen, Isentress, , Emtriva, Sustiva Wellbutrin, Klonipin, Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Re: Chronic Sinusitis, possible surgery ahead:
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:15 PM »
Hey JM,

I have chronic sinus problems, but not to the extent you describe.

Surgery ? YIKES!

I try to use a saline nasal spray daily, which has helped immensely. I don't know that it will work with someone who has symtoms as severe as yours, though.

I will be sending some positive energy to you. Hang tough!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »
Hi JM

I suffered with horrible chronic sinusitis during the early years of my HIV infection; all through the late 80's and into about 1997, I was always on some medication or another; had all kinds of remedies, and treatments too...nothing seemed to work.

Then, magically (an answer to prayer maybe?) my sinus problems went away, and I have not been bothered too much since then.   Occasionally, I will have a small flare up (in winter time, if the air is too dry, etc)

Hope everything works out for you...keep us posted.

Hugs, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline jm1953

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks Mark and Alan for your responses.  I am definitely trying to irrigate my sinuses as much as possible with saline or with my nellie, oops, netti pot.  Generally that does the trick.  But this sinus infection is now going on over three weeks and on another course of prednisone and antibiotics.  About 60% improvement but still there and bothersome.

My ENT doc says he is seeing more and more patients at risk for chronic sinusitis and doing more surgeries to correct.

Thanks again for your input and support.

Big Hug,

JM
Positive 25 years. 7/21/2012 Current CD 4: 780 Viral load: less than 50. 38 to 40%
Current drug regimen, Isentress, , Emtriva, Sustiva Wellbutrin, Klonipin, Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »
jm
I have some sinus problems and know how unpleasant that can be....but I dont have anything like what you have.
I basically just want to wish you luck.
Have your doctor(s) suggested surgery or is this your own diagnosis?  My experience, such as it is, is that surgery does not provide LONG TERM improvements.  I remember one friend having the surgery more than once, in hopes it wiould help. It didnt. Perhaps, a second opinion would be worth the trouble.
Years ago, I was diagnosed with "polyps" in my sinuses and surgery was suggested.  I chose rather to treat with all the usual stuff you mention: netti pots, FloNase, Claritin and antibiotics when I had an infection.  After I quit smoking...all of my problems lessened.  So now, 10 years later I am FAIRLY comfortable with the sinus condition I have. I just figure its tolerable. Old farts like me just have their aches and pains.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline jm1953

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
Bear60:
Thanks for your post.  Right now things seem to be getting better with the help of antibiotics and prednisone.  About a year ago my doctor considered me a candidate for sinus surgery after viewing a ct scan revealing a deviated septum and a polyp.  I really don't want surgery to be frank. 

I think a big part of my problem is where I live in the Pacific Northwest.  Never had one while living in Hawaii for eight years, and while visiting friends in Palm Springs and dryer climates things seem to clear up.

Thanks for your input.  I'll consider all you said!!!!!  Especialy the fact that a second opinion might be in order.

Best,

JM

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »
Jm
Well, the Seattle area is very DAMP.  So I can only imagine that mold and fungus infections are more prevalent than in ...as you say...Palm Springs.
There was a post somewhere else from someone worrying about mold growing on the bathroom ceiling.  This is just a suggestion but I would look at my environment and think about how clean it is.  Do you have wall to wall carpet?  If so get it steam cleaned.  Is your bathroom free from mold?  Is your basement wet and moldy. ETC.
Think BLEACH.
Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:04:06 PM by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Buckaroo47

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:30 AM »
I know what you've been going through! For me, after moving from the wet climate of Portland, Oregon to drier Central Washington, I developed chronic sinusitis.  Up until 5 years ago I never had a sinus infection.  Now I seem to get them every 3 to 4 months. Lots of sinus rinses going on here!  It's become the most aggravating health problem for me these last 5 years.   Been to the ENT Doctor numerous times and had tried every nasal spray and allergy pills out there.  Only relief I sometimes get is with "Zyrtec D".  Also, whenever the low pressure weather systems come through,  my sinuses become a miserable mess until the weather clears up.  Very, very frustrating.  I just found out about this procedure they can do now for chronic sinusitis.  It's called "Sinuplasty" and it's supposed to be a lot less horrible than the usual sinus surgery.  You can check out this website http://www.sinuplasty.com/
If you're living in the Seattle area there are Doctors there that do the procedure.  Ask your ENT about it, may be the way to go towards some relief.  Good luck, my compassion's with you, Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.