POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 05:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23489
  • Latest: Cowboy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639044
  • Total Topics: 48514
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 141
Total: 145

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV/AIDS symptoms? Very worried  (Read 7704 times)

Offline analogue

HIV/AIDS symptoms? Very worried
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:10:20 AM »
Anyone please help.  Sorry for my poor english.  4 years ago, I had protected sex with someone and after a week I have symtoms like bad cold, diarrhea for 2 weeks, swallon lymph nodes behind my ears, night sweat and pain joints.  My penis also seems to have a little cut or somekind of infection but it was ok after a few days.  I was really panic and went to have some STD test and ELISA 4th generation test on the 8th, 10th and 12th days after the incident and they all came out negative.   I also done another test after 4 weeks in some hospital and came out negative as well.  However, I had too much pressure and didn't have a test after 3 months.  The doctor told me that I should not be worry too much since I've wear condom, so I am not at risk.  He told me that having another test will just be a waste of money.  However, my thighs always has some kind of blisters which itchy all the times. (This symptoms exist long time ago before the incident.) Normally there is only two or three blister everytime and they break in a few days and recover within a week.  I have see three different doctors and they say it doesn't looks STD because they say STD don't recover themselve, they said it looks like some kind of fugus infection.  The blisters symtoms are seasonal, sometimes they came out for a few months, but somtimes they are all gone.  However, this is getting worse this two years, the blisters can pop up like 10 to 20 everytime and it has spread to my bum, which makes me really worry.
       About a month ago, I have an unprotected sex with a girl which is unknown HIV status for less than one minute (before I wear condom).  After 8th days, I found a rash on my left leg and it goes after a week.  After another week, I have a swallon  lymph nodes behind my right ear and I have a little red rash on my right leg.  I am totally freak out.  I start to look for other HIV symptoms.  Today I found there is a black spot on my togue.  2mm diameter.  I am pretty sure it wasn't there last week.  Also I found some very little dot under my arm pit and they have no colors. I don't know when they start to exist because they are so small that it is so hard to notice until I get close look at it.  I am very close to having a metal break down now.  Is these HIV/AIDS symptoms?   

B

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV/AIDS symptoms? Very worried
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:01:16 AM »
The incident from sometime ago was not one that put you at risk. Protected intercourse is just that. Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission.

This latest incident when you had brief unprotected intercourse is different. Although given what you have described the risk was low because it was only one incident and very brief. But still, you will need to get tested. You can test initially at 6 weeks if you want to, but you will still have to do another test at 13 weeks to confirm that you are HIV negative.

None of your symptoms are in anyway HIV specific and in general neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test can give you that answer.

If your symptoms are bothering you then you should discuss them with your doctor.

Lastly, you need to learn from this experience. You can have all the sex you want with as many partners as you want to. But to protect your health you need to do it the safer way. That means always and without exceptions using a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse.

The chances of your testing negative this time are good. But you need to learn from this experience and not put your life at risk by having unprotected intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline analogue

HIV symptoms - scaly dry skin and white spot in mouth, neck pain
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:47:46 PM »
 Hi, somebody please help.  Firstly, please forgive my poor english.  I don't want to repeat my old thread, it is on this link : http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29719.0   I am really worry again, because two weeks ago, I got this scaly dry skin on the side of my body.  The color is very light pink, irregular shape and flat .  Not itchy or pain (area size is about 1cm).  It's been there for more than 2 weeks already and it doesn't go.  Also I have this white spot inside my mouth that hurts two days ago.  (I have white hairy tongue for years).  Also I feel bit pain on the back of the neck.  Well, it is not really pain, but I wouldn't call it comforting, my back neck and the shoulder feel extremly tired all the time.  A little bit pain when I press my neck.  What make me really worry like sick is I never have this kind of scaly dry skin before. Also I rarly has infection in my mouth even I am a smoker.  Could anybody please tell me if this is the ARS symptoms?
1./ Does late HIV infection stage, symptoms come up slowly like step by step or it just all pop out at once and turn to AIDS from HIV ?
2./ Does the symptoms show up after early infection (but before it turning to AIDS) ?     

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:26 PM »
Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I've merged your previous one with your latest comments.

Protected intercourse means that you are just that -- well protected from the transmission of HIV sexually.

You need to understand that neither the presence nor absence of symptoms is ever the way to know reliably about your HIV status. Only an HIV test can give you that answer if you have had a risky incident.

But you haven't had a risk so whatever is going on symptomanitcally has nothing to do with HIV. You need to pursue the matter with your doctor or get a second opinion about your symptoms. HIV is not your problem no matter what you think to the contrary.
Andy Velez

Offline analogue

ARS symptoms - Face Rash and cold like symptoms / Please help
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:14:53 AM »
Hi,  sorry I am using my friend's account to ask question here, I could't wait because I am too worry getting infected.  I am a 22 yrs old female.  I recently met a new boy friend for about a month and I don't know his HIV status.  We have sex every weekend.  However, everytime we have about 5 mins of unprotected sex before he wear condom.  He didn't ejeculate inside me.  After 3 weeks from the first incident, I caught a cold.  I have a sore throat and keep sneezing (but no fever), I don't know if it is due to the cold weather or it is some kind of ARS symptoms.  I also feel very tired all the time.  After 3 days from catching a cold, I have some rash on both side of my face.  The first day is a little bit itch if I touch them, but they don't itch anymore on the second day.  The color is a little bit red on the first day, and change to light pink on the second day, they looks  flat and some of them is irregular shape (some looks like in circle shape), the round one looks like some kind of little mosquito bite and the iregular shape one looks some kind of allegy.  I also has two little leison on the forehead like pimple but no color ( not sure if it is pimple ).  There is no other rash on my body except the face.   I am scaring to death now.  Can anyone please help.  Is the above ARS symtoms?  I know the best way to find out is to get test, but I am very panic now.  Does any of above sounds like the HIV symptoms?   

Offline analogue

Re: ARS symptoms - Face Rash and cold like symptoms / Please help
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 02:48:41 AM »
I am very scare now, I have search some photos in yahoo.  The rash on my face does looks like the maculopapular rash.  The color is light pink.    Someone please help.  Can ARS rash just appear on the face or on both face and trunk?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:56:21 AM »
I've merged your questions into your "friend's" previous questions. The rule here is that all entries for the  member must be in the same thread. Since you say you are using his name, they should still be in this same thread.

There is nothing HIV-specific about any of your symptoms. Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time can give you that answer. At 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident  you can get a conclusive result.

What you need to do is to stop having unprotected intercourse, no matter how briefly you are doing it. The only confirmed risks sexually for HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. So it's not complicated. Everytime you have intercourse the insertive partner must be wearing a condom. No stories and no exceptions.

You can if you wish test initially at 6 weeks after an incident. If you test negative then it is very likely that you will continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

Good luck on your test and now is the time foryou to get into the habit of always using condoms.
Andy Velez

Offline analogue

HIV symptom Herpes zoster / Shingles ? Unprotected sex for one minute.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »
Hi,
   I am really worrying now.  I have ringworm problem on my inner thigh for years.  I had protected sex with a girl with unknown HIV status when she was having period last October.  Can I be infect if her blood touch my inner thigh ringworm area?   
    After a week, when her period ended,  I had an unprotected intercourse with her for around one minute.  Why I am worrying like sick because after about a week or two,  I have a rash on my left leg (around 4cm in diameter) for about a week.  The rash goes away in a week.  After a week, I have another rash pop up on my right leg (about 3cm in diameter).  This time I also have lymph node on my right ear.  After a few days my left neck has a swollen gland on my left neck. It goes away after weeks.  During this period of time, I have a few lymph nodes under my jaw at different time.  Also I have few slightly pain under my arm pit, also my chest and leg.   
    It's been about 10 months from the incident.  I had this Herpes zoster/ Shingles on my back and waist.  That makes me really panic, because I heard Herpes zoster normally shows up after age of 50 or people who have problem on the immune system.  I am totally freak out now.   

Regards,
Jason

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV symptom Herpes zoster / Shingles ? Unprotected sex for one minute.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »
 Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

 If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:36:18 AM »
Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I have merged your latest question with your previous entries.

HIV is not passed in the manner you are concerned about. Sexually the only confirmed risks for HIV transmission are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. That's it. Use condoms for those activities consistently and you will be well protected against the virus.

If you have symptoms that are bothering you that is something to discuss with your doctor. Nothing you are reporting has put you at risk for HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline analogue

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »
Hi,
   Thanks Andy.  Does that mean if I have ringworm on my thigh.  Those area won't be infected? I heard the virus can not survive in the air?  When it leave the body, the virus will die?   What about the unprotected intercourse I had for around a minute?   Is it risky?  I have read a lot of article saying people who have shingles are age over 50 or people have problem with immune system such as HIV.   Does shingles happen when HIV turn to Aids? Is it possible to have shingles after 10 month from the incident?

Regards,
Jason

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 06:20:38 PM »
You are spending too much time filling your head with junk from the web. Shingles are not an HIV-specific problem. They can happen to anyone who has had chicken pox. HIV is not passed topically on the skin, whether you have ringworm or not. You are worrying needlessly.

Stop looking for HIV when it is not your problem. If you have problematic symptoms you should discuss them with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.