Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Free cell phone service for disabled/medicaid/foodstamp recipients

<< < (3/3)

denb45:
Just get a MAGIC-JACK for 19.99 a yr. connect it to your PC's usb-port, and then, connect a phone, and it's done deal. it's not a cell-phone so, it's not portable, but still better than nothing at all, and the BAD NEWS
it will require a High-speed-internet-connection   ;)

leatherman:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on November 16, 2010, 12:02:14 PM ---It is my understanding that the site is secure, and that the information is used so that a person's identity and qualifying conditions can be confirmed.
--- End quote ---
yeppers. ;) one can always tell whether a site is secured or not by the "lock" icon that will appear in the address bar at a secure site.

--- Quote from: ARMANDO on November 16, 2010, 08:07:28 AM ---i just don't feel comfortable in giving this private information online!!

--- End quote ---
Plus this service is a government supported service - which already knows your SS#. This sort of information is needed from you to verify your identity. That way, as an example, I couldn't get a phone in your name since I don't know the matching SS#.

to be honest, in the way JK mentioned, if you're in the right income level to get this service there not much of a reason for anybody to be wanting to hack your identity anyway. :D Poverty is an excellent deterient to identity theft. LOL

Granny60:
 It has worked good for some  that I know that have the service. The most complaiint I have heard is when they  drop the phone on concrete and break it,  it takes a while to get a replacement.   I haven't looked for a long time,  but didn't it give you the option of putting in your medicaid number or food stamp number or something like that?   If you get either,  you are eligible;  besides,  it pisses off a lot of republicans that love to rant about the "Obama Phone"  and anything that will run their blood pressure up enough to explode an aneurysm  is worth a try. ;D

JR Gabbard:

--- Quote from: denb45 on November 16, 2010, 12:23:39 PM ---Just get a MAGIC-JACK for 19.99 a yr. connect it to your PC's usb-port, and then, connect a phone, and it's done deal. it's not a cell-phone so, it's not portable, but still better than nothing at all, and the BAD NEWS
it will require a High-speed-internet-connection   ;)

--- End quote ---

I had MagicJack for a year.  The price was right and I already had a high speed line.   But you also need a pretty fast processor, too.  I was using it on a single core hyper-threaded 2.8 G machine and the calls would drop (if I could hear them at all) and there was a long delay between when I dialed the number and when the computer did.  In the end, it wasn't worth it to me.  It might be different if you use it on a multi-core machine.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: JR Gabbard on November 16, 2010, 08:21:45 PM ---But you also need a pretty fast processor, too.
--- End quote ---
we still use MJ here; but it also has limitations on how much bandwidth is being eaten up by others on your network/provider. When someone streams a movie on one of the 4 networked PCs in the house, MJ (which runs on a generic little used "house" computer) connectivity suffers. Also we notice issues with delays, distortions and dropped calls from 4-10pm when the local cable provider network is having high usage. (this house computer also runs World Community Grid's FightAIDS@Home).

however it's a great alternative to use during the day when sitting on hold for hrs to SS, insurance companies, etc. by not eating up peak-hr billable cell phone mins. In our house with 2 retirees and their health issues, and me on diability recently moved into the state and calling social service agencies frequently this year, this first year of the MJ has been a good investment; but we're already debating on how useful MJ will be to us in the upcoming year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version