Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:46:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 674
Total: 674

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bobby Mackey from Baton Rouge (1958-1981)  (Read 8989 times)

Offline PaulinNJ

Bobby Mackey from Baton Rouge (1958-1981)
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:03:40 am »
My first year of college in 1979, I "came out" and another student on this small Virginia campus and I found each other somehow. We found a few of us gay students among the 1500 undergrads there in the heart of The Bible Belt!

Bobby was a flamboyant guy who had a heart of gold -- he never hovered over me, but he was around to watch over me as I wiggled my way into gay life. He was my first positive exposure to gay life and good people in the gay world.

Bobby was the first of many in my life that I lost over those years (and as we know still do). He spoke several languages, every one who met Bobby remembered him and he never spoke ill of anyone, but he always had a some campy (that was a strictly gay word back then) retort to any subject. He had small birthmarks on each cheek (his face not his buttocks!!!) and round cheeks, and some beard stubble that smiled right up to his colorful eyes (he was always smiling).

I had to just post some memory of Bobby... God, I can still hear his laugh! He was the first one I knew to leave "us" in 1981 ...and while the list is long, when I do think of those who have gone before us all, Bobby has always come to my mind first for obvious reasons.

I still miss his laugh and his jokes and support. Calling him "flamboyant" is a compliment to Bobby. I could care less how someone acts but what it what is is in their heart that matters. (I am often told I don't "act gay" - WTF? I am whatever I am!). He taught me to not judge myself based on what others thought of me. One of the many lessons I  learned from a lost generation.

I feel Bobby to this day every now and then and talk about him to certain people -- always relating some story about him or involving him that made us pee in our pants!

"Oh, honey! Please. By 4 AM I am usually so bored with a trick I give him two dollars for cab fare and throw him out!"

"Get off me! I'm done!" (LOVE that one!!!)

Two of the many famous Bobby Mackey quotes.

I still think of you Bobby - after almost 30 years. I will always love you for being part of my early life and hope perhaps one day we will see each other again.

Love,
Paul
Laugh often - the alternative ain't worth it!
"Ain't I a stinker?" -- Bugs Bunny
From 120 t's, shingles and high VL in 2001
To 1200+ t's and undetectable in 2007.
2010 remain undedect. and 1000 CD4.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.