POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:54:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643138
  • Total Topics: 48936
  • Online Today: 228
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Florida ADAP (self employment)  (Read 1644 times)

Offline gregftl

Florida ADAP (self employment)
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
Anyone else on here live in Broward County and is self employed and in the ADAP program? The last time I re-enrolled in ADAP back in early March all I had to take in was self employment income tracking sheets for the last 3 months. Basically they are just forms with a calendar on them and u fill in what u make for each day.They also require you to bring in your income taxes if they have been completed..... but mine werent so they accepted the tracking sheets. According to the requirements income taxes are only taken the first 4 months of the year........then it's just the tracking sheets when you re-enroll later 6months later. OK, I went in today to make my appt to re-apply for ADAP in Sept and there was a new woman there and she told me I needed to also bring in my taxes along with the self employment tracking sheets. But then I called and another woman told me just to bring my tracking sheets and that it was to late in the year and my income taxes didnt matter.

My question here is i'm trying to find other self employed people here in broward county or even in florida and find out what they had to show for financial documentation the last couple of months. Seems like each eligibility worker sets their own rules and if you get the wrong one it spells trouble.

The problem I have is I'm OK if i just need to bring in my self employment tracking sheets. However if i get that woman that told me i need my taxes..... I do not have a copy of my taxes b/c my tax accountant lives up in Chicago and she was recently diagnosed with cancer and is really sick in the hospital undergoing treatment so I have no way of getting a copy from her. She uses turbo tax to do people's taxes electronically so she doesnt send you a copy unless you ask for one. In the 6 years i've been doing ADAP i've never had to show my income taxes b/c I normally always do my ADAP elegiblity in early march (so my taxes arent ready yet) and then in early Sept.

Anyone else down here have to worry about this self employment song and dance down here?

Greg

Offline hotpuppy

Re: Florida ADAP (self employment)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:06:22 PM »
Hi Greg,
  I'm self-employed as well.... at least the way ADAP sees it.  I own all the shares of the corporation I work for.  hmmm, kinda like holding the leash in one's mouth isn't it?

Anyhow, as you know, being self-employed is stressful. 

The IRS can get them copies of your taxes if they want.  In the meanwhile, just let them know your accountant is sick and you are working on it.  Stress that you need help, be patient, and don't be demanding.

The intake people have a task of preventing fraud.  So they need to verify what you make and the IRS form is the gold standard.  There are other ways of doing it, but creative types usually don't do these jobs.

I was on ADAP for 9 months or so until I put myself on insurance......
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline gregftl

Re: Florida ADAP (self employment)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:19:50 AM »
Yah well i'm just gonna take my tracking sheets in. I called over there again today and asked someone else and the woman told me just to bring in my adap tracking sheets that's it is too late in the year for them to take taxes anyways. She said the rule is they only ask for taxes through april. She said seeing documention of income i made in 2009 during my august appointment for renewal is irrelevant. She said they need 2010 documenation and at this point of the year the only thing they have for me to do that is the tracking sheets.  I've been doing this since 2003 and never had to show my taxes. Always tracking sheets. I was told by someone that used to work in there the reason they...for the most part....ask for the tracking sheets is most people over income use fake taxes anyways that they forged. Plus the guy told me that the people that do eligibility dont trust people who are self employed in terms of all the biz deductions on the taxes too. B/c the rule is (according to my friend)...is that adap is supposed to count the income after deductions that is on the SE form of your taxes. Not income before expenses.

I even downloaded the eligibility worker's manual for enrolling people into adap off the florida dept of health website. And the section under income where it says ...self employed......it says "adap self employment tracking sheets for the last 3 months".

What did you mean by "There are other ways of doing it, but creative types usually don't do these jobs."?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:22:39 AM by gregftl »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.