POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620624
  • Total Topics: 46760
  • Online Today: 197
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 172
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: For those living in NYC with HIV there is still a St Vincent's HIV Clinic  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
At the Pride March today where I was marching with other ACT UP peeps, I ran into a veteran activist who told me that within the old St. Vincent's Hospital here in the Village, there is now once again a functioning HIV/AIDS Clinic.

I don't have specific details beyond that, but he assured me that if someone needs care they can go there and get it.

Only a few months ago when St. Vincent's was winding down, early on they stopped taking new HIV patients.

It seems that loss may now have been corrected. Thought I'd pass this (incomplete) information along for any who may find it useful. If I get further details I will post them here.

Cheers on Pride.
Andy Velez

Offline Jody

Hi Andy, Happy Pride to you as well on this very hot and humid last Sunday in June here in New York City and thanks for the bit of good news regarding St. Vincents HIV clinic remaining open in the midst of so much bad news these days what with budget shortfalls, the inability of governments to even balance budgets, often on the backs of those who can least afford it, horrific ongoing wars in the middle east, and an equally awful oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  

The fact that the clinic remains open is a testament to the hard work of people like yourself advocating to politicians and other decision makers to do the right thing in light of the awful closing of a world renowned hospital that served so many Greenwich Village residents for over a century, and the loss of so many of the seemingly ever-decreasing number of good (or at least decent) paying jobs with benefits.

Jody
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:59:52 PM by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Hi Jody,

I hope to have more information before long. The guy who told me about it said the irony is that now that so much of St. Vincent's is gone, the Clinic has more space and a bigger facility for its doctors than they had before.

Stay tuned as I get more information.

Andy Velez

Offline edfu

Here is a little more info, from the newspaper "The Villager":

Volume 79, Number 50 | May 19 -25, 2010
West and East Village, Chelsea, Soho, Noho, Little Italy, Chinatown and Lower East Side, Since 1933

Scoopy's Notebook

Mt. Sinai gets H.I.V. clinic:
Mt. Sinai Medical Center will operate the St. Vincentís H.I.V. Center beginning May 28, and will keep it in Greenwich Village, a Mt. Sinai spokesperson confirmed this week. For the time being, the outpatient center, pioneered by St. Vincentís during the early days of the AIDS health crisis in the 1980s, will be located in St. Vincentís OíToole pavilion on the west side of Seventh Ave. at 12th St. St. Vincentís Department of Community Health, which runs outpatient clinics in 30 locations in the five boroughs, will also be under the aegis of Mt. Sinai beginning May 28. The community health service will also be run temporarily from the OíToole building. ďWe are looking for another permanent location in the same neighborhood with more space for additional services,Ē said Ian Michaels, spokesperson for Mt. Sinai. Mt. Sinai Medical Center officials will meet with St. Vincentís H.I.V. doctors and staff on Wednesday evening May 19 at St. Vincentís cafeteria at 170 W. 12th St. Dr. Barbara Johnston, medical director of the H.I.V. Center, said last week that the centerís 50 doctors and medical staff members are still serving patients. The H.I.V. Center service includes homeless people with AIDS.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:19:27 AM by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Thanks for that update.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.