Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

ADAP Watch June 11, 2010

<< < (2/9) > >>

Hellraiser:
Hmm In Louisiana I have to renew every 6 months.  Is this not the case in other states?

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Hellraiser on June 11, 2010, 08:00:26 PM ---Hmm In Louisiana I have to renew every 6 months.  Is this not the case in other states?

--- End quote ---
it was only once a year in Ohio, and only once a year in SC
http://www.scdhec.gov/health/disease/stdhiv/docs/ADAP_Guidlines.pdf (pg 13)
SC ADAP will require all patients to recertify once a year.  All patients will recertify in their birth month. The recertification will include documentation of household income and the most recent CD4 and viral load.  Recertification forms should be returned within 90 days of receipt. If recertification has not been returned within 45 days, the patient will receive a 2nd Request reminding that the recertification form is due.  If the recertification form has not been received within 90 days, a Final request will be mailed to the patient, case manager and/or physician.  After 90 days, the client may be closed for non-compliance.

I wonder if it costs the state more money to do renewals every 6 months vs. once a year? Or do so many Louisanians have their situations improve so drastically that it's worth checking into their situations so frequently? Sounds like it could be a situation of more wasted money that would better be spent giving aide to the citizens. ::)

Hellraiser:

--- Quote from: leatherman on June 11, 2010, 08:24:34 PM ---it was only once a year in Ohio, and only once a year in SC
http://www.scdhec.gov/health/disease/stdhiv/docs/ADAP_Guidlines.pdf (pg 13)
SC ADAP will require all patients to recertify once a year.  All patients will recertify in their birth month. The recertification will include documentation of household income and the most recent CD4 and viral load.  Recertification forms should be returned within 90 days of receipt. If recertification has not been returned within 45 days, the patient will receive a 2nd Request reminding that the recertification form is due.  If the recertification form has not been received within 90 days, a Final request will be mailed to the patient, case manager and/or physician.  After 90 days, the client may be closed for non-compliance.

I wonder if it costs the state more money to do renewals every 6 months vs. once a year? Or do so many Louisanians have their situations improve so drastically that it's worth checking into their situations so frequently? Sounds like it could be a situation of more wasted money that would better be spent giving aide to the citizens. ::)

--- End quote ---

Yakamein is fairly clued into the system here, it may be a question he could answer.  They ask for your CD4 and VL, do they intend to cut you off if your numbers recuperate beyond a certain point?

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Hellraiser on June 11, 2010, 08:26:16 PM ---They ask for your CD4 and VL, do they intend to cut you off if your numbers recuperate beyond a certain point?

--- End quote ---
Acceptance into the Program is on a first come first served basis. There is no priority given to persons with lower CD4 counts or higher viral loads.-per the SC ADAP pdf

No, being an ADAP client is basically decided by monetary/insurance eligiblity, along with being HIV+. Requiring the lab results is to "prove" you are HIV+, need the HIV meds, and hence need ADAP to provide meds.

hope_for_a_cure:
My hope is that ADAP will come through but I dont hold my breath.

This year has thrown me a few punches thats for sure.  I am still alive and kicking!  I guess in a way its made me stronger in many ways.  I found out just how valuable family really is.  The slower pace of life here in SC is 'prolly' just what I need now... after all, I am turning 49 in August and dont mind the peace and quiet as much as I would have in my earlier years. 

I have applied for all types of assistance and time will tell.  In the meantime I dont allow myself to get too down in the dumps about the whole thing.  The 'maters' in the garden are growing and I spend time taking care of my mom (we went to Wally Mart today, then I fixed her some BBQ chicken on the grill). 

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version