Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

ADAP Watch June 11, 2010

(1/9) > >>

leatherman:
from the newest ADAP Watch (pdf):

As of June 10, 2010, there were 1,431 individuals on AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) waiting lists in eleven states. This is a 116 percent increase from the 662 individuals on the March 2010 ADAP Watch.  Twelve ADAPs, four with current waiting lists, have instituted additional cost-containment measures since April 1, 2009.  In addition, seven ADAPs, including two with current waiting lists, are considering implementing new or additional cost-containment measures by the end of March 2011. States that have instituted cost containment measures and those considering them, in addition to implementing waiting lists, are reducing program eligibility, capping enrollment, reducing the number of drugs on the formulary and cutting other services, all of which impact access to life saving HIV medications for medically vulnerable individuals.   

ADAP Watch June 11, 2010
(with changes from May 21, 2010 listed)

Florida: 113 (+113)
Hawaii: 7 (+2)
Idaho:  25 (+5)
Iowa: 91 (+7)
Kentucky: 177 (-31)
Montana: 18 (0)
North Carolina:  710 (+108)
South Carolina: 145 (+35)
South Dakota: 21 (+11)
Utah: 104 (+7)
Wyoming: 20 (+3)

There was some good news though. Several drug companies will be working with the ADAP program to provide free or discounted meds.

AHF Lauds Gilead for AIDS Drug Price Concessions for Nation’s ADAPs
The agreement was reached between Gilead and the ADAP Crisis Task Force (ACTF) of the National Alliance of State & Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD). Gilead, which markets the AIDS drugs Truvada®, Viread® and Emtriva® joins Abbott, Merck, Tibotec Therapeutics and ViiV Healthcare among the ranks of AIDS drug manufacturers that have recently offered significant price cuts, freezes, or price rebate adjustments and other concessions on the pricing of their lifesaving AIDS medications to ADAP
http://www.aidshealth.org/news/press-releases/ahf-lauds-gilead-for-aids.html

AHF Lauds Merck for Offer to Double ADAP AIDS Drug Rebates for Isentress
Merck is offering to double its drug discount rebates for hard-hit ADAP programs nationwide; freeze its price for ADAPs for Isentress at approximately $8,800 per patient yearly (more than $4,000 less than its $12,868 Average Wholesale Price [AWP] for the drug); and start paying its ADAP drug discount rebates to states upfront instead of months (or years) after the fact.
http://www.aidshealth.org/news/press-releases/victory-ahf-lauds-merck-for.html

AHF Advocacy Spurs AIDS Drug Companies to Yield on Pricing
ViiV Healthcare, a new drug company formed in a partnership between GSK and Pfizer, has announced an agreement that will provide additional cost savings to cash-strapped ADAPs nationwide. The agreement was reached between ViiV and the ADAP Crisis Task Force (ACTF) of the National Alliance of State & Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD). ViiV Healthcare, which markets the AIDS drug Selzentry (maraviroc, first introduced by Pfizer in August 2007) and the commonly prescribed anti-retroviral treatments Combivir and Trizivir, joins Merck and Company, Johnson & Johnson’s Tibotec Therapeutics and Abbott Labs among the ranks of AIDS drug manufacturers that have recently offered significant price cuts, freezes, price rebate adjustments and other concessions on the pricing of their lifesaving AIDS medications to ADAP.
http://www.aidshealth.org/news/press-releases/ahf-advocacy-spurs-aids-drug.html

Heinz Family Philanthropies, Welvista and Abbott Announce Solution to Help Patients on State ADAP Waiting Lists for No-Cost HIV Medications
Abbott is providing a grant to Welvista, a nonprofit organization that fills prescriptions for patients who are uninsured and underinsured.  This grant will help provide for a one-year program to help any patient on a state ADAP waiting list who needs an Abbott HIV medication [kaletra and norvir].  Abbott, the global health care company, makes protease inhibitors that are important components of many HIV combination treatment regimens.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/heinz-family-philanthropies-welvista-and-abbott-announce-solution-to-help-patients-on-state-adap-waiting-lists-for-no-cost-hiv-medications-93079254.html

Just John:

--- Quote from: leatherman on June 11, 2010, 06:05:12 PM ---from the newest ADAP Watch (pdf):

As of June 10, 2010, there were 1,431 individuals on AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) waiting lists in eleven states. This is a 116 percent increase from the 662 individuals on the March 2010 ADAP Watch.  Twelve ADAPs, four with current waiting lists, have instituted additional cost-containment measures since April 1, 2009.  In addition, seven ADAPs, including two with current waiting lists, are considering implementing new or additional cost-containment measures by the end of March 2011. States that have instituted cost containment measures and those considering them, in addition to implementing waiting lists, are reducing program eligibility, capping enrollment, reducing the number of drugs on the formulary and cutting other services, all of which impact access to life saving HIV medications for medically vulnerable individuals.
--- End quote ---

I was shocked four years ago when I first found out that this sort of situation existed in the USA.

I still find it difficult to comprehend, how it can not only continue for so long but even get worse; in a civilised, supposedly advanced, western country.

It upsets me when I hear of people in third world countries who are still dying through lack of drugs and healthcare. That the United States Government allows this to continue in their own backyard, especially whilst giving aid to other countries is shameful.

-John.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Just John on June 11, 2010, 06:18:49 PM ---It upsets me when I hear of people in third world countries who are still dying through lack of drugs and healthcare.
--- End quote ---
yes, it is very troubling. Four years ago in 2006, 3 people in Kentucky and 1 person in South Carolina actually died while on the ADAP waiting list before they could get meds. Already in 2008, 1 person has died in South Carolina while on the drug waiting list. Of course, someone can be diagnosed so late than even meds cannot reverse the situation; but not being able to receive meds at all can guarantee death.  :'(

Sadly many states are poised to use other cost cutting measures too. For example, by changing the requirements for ADAP, people in SC and NC who were receiving ADAP-supported meds have been dropped from the program when their yearly review came around. That means many of those people, now deemed ineligible by as little as $1, and unable to "find" $2000 a month or so, will find themselves with no meds - which of course can lead to resistance issues, increasing health problems, OIs, and potentially more deaths.

hope_for_a_cure:
I am on of the 145 in SC that is waiting.  In the meantime I have sold pretty much all that I own (including my car) just to keep a few bucks in the bank and pay my bills.  If not for my family, I would be without a place to live.  My heart goes out to those who dont have the support of family and or friends.  I count my blessings but do know what it is like to 'make do' and 'live without'.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: hope_for_a_cure on June 11, 2010, 06:52:26 PM ---I am on of the 145 in SC that is waiting.
--- End quote ---
did you catch my thread about the rallies back in March and May? SC ADAP Funding Cut Protest Rally

I'm sorry to hear that you're on "the list".
Damn! You're just having a tough time with everything this year, aren't you?
Hang in there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version